News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Washington

Started by jakeroot, May 21, 2016, 01:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

It seems like more malls surrounded by large parking lots will be redeveloped in the coming years. There is a mall in OKC called Quail Springs which I give 10 years(that's a conservative estimate; it could be much sooner) until it is torn down and redeveloped.

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on February 21, 2019, 06:00:39 PM
I suppose a massive garage system is inevitable in this mixed urban/suburban environment. Though I hope they are well hidden, and not dominating.

If not Northgate, I hope the Tacoma Mall will take after Burnaby. If there's no height limit, just go crazy. Although if the budget is too limiting, I would prefer a whole bunch of mid-rise buildings rather than just a few skyscrapers.

Tacoma Mall doesn't really make sense as a high-rise cluster, because it won't have light rail until well after 2040 (at this rate). Northgate is ripe for the taking.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on February 22, 2019, 12:17:32 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 21, 2019, 06:00:39 PM
I suppose a massive garage system is inevitable in this mixed urban/suburban environment. Though I hope they are well hidden, and not dominating.

If not Northgate, I hope the Tacoma Mall will take after Burnaby. If there's no height limit, just go crazy. Although if the budget is too limiting, I would prefer a whole bunch of mid-rise buildings rather than just a few skyscrapers.

Tacoma Mall doesn't really make sense as a high-rise cluster, because it won't have light rail until well after 2040 (at this rate). Northgate is ripe for the taking.

True, true. It would need a new transit center, too. The current one isn't even within the bounds of the property (even the South Hill Mall has them beat in this regard).

Any idea if Tacoma Mall was to be connected via the Tacoma Link or the regular Link?

Thinking seriously for a moment, McChord's runway may actually be quite limiting as far as height limits go at the Tacoma Mall, although there are several quite-tall apartment complexes just to the north (the Apex Apartments) that give some idea of what might be permitted.

Bruce

Pierce County wanted regular Link to be extended southwest to the mall. There was a plan from Tacoma to build more streetcars (which would be functionally the same as Tacoma Link), but it was scrapped in 2007.

I passed through the area yesterday and those apartment towers really stuck out. I wasn't expecting to see them so tall, and so prominently on the hill.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on February 22, 2019, 03:50:52 PM
Pierce County wanted regular Link to be extended southwest to the mall. There was a plan from Tacoma to build more streetcars (which would be functionally the same as Tacoma Link), but it was scrapped in 2007.

I passed through the area yesterday and those apartment towers really stuck out. I wasn't expecting to see them so tall, and so prominently on the hill.

Tacoma has trouble paying for pothole repair. Doesn't surprise it couldn't fund its own street car network. Though I would love to see a few studies done for a cable car running up like 15th or 11th, if that's still a thing (given that the Link isn't strong enough to descend those hills on its own, never mind being too long).

Those apartments, despite their 90s looks, were only built in 2008. They're definitely some of the tallest buildings in the area, even being on top of that hill. A few other buildings in Pierce County that stand out are the Pacific Tower Condominiums, 1 Stadium Way, and Puyallup's City Hall.

Bruce

The WSTC approved a new name for a 22-mile section of SR 530: the Oso Slide Memorial Highway, which will run from Arlington to Darrington. New signage will be installed before the anniversary next month.

https://twitter.com/KING5Seattle/status/1099496731337785344

jakeroot

I've always thought the best highway names were the one's that people might use. Never heard of a freeway or highway with the word "memorial" in it, that subsequently enters the public lexicon.

Perhaps "Oso Highway"?

These "memorial" names are typically just a formality, but I've always thought the best way to memorialize something would be for the memorial to be well-known. These memorial designations just aren't. Anyone heard of the "Philip Martin Lelli Memorial Highway"? SR-509 in Tacoma (Port of Tacoma Freeway). A more memorable name might have been "Lelli Highway" or "Lelli Freeway". Everyone could remember that.

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on February 23, 2019, 11:50:19 PM
I've always thought the best highway names were the one's that people might use. Never heard of a freeway or highway with the word "memorial" in it, that subsequently enters the public lexicon.

Perhaps "Oso Highway"?

These "memorial" names are typically just a formality, but I've always thought the best way to memorialize something would be for the memorial to be well-known. These memorial designations just aren't. Anyone heard of the "Philip Martin Lelli Memorial Highway"? SR-509 in Tacoma (Port of Tacoma Freeway). A more memorable name might have been "Lelli Highway" or "Lelli Freeway". Everyone could remember that.

"Oso Memorial Highway" would have been fine enough. "Oso Highway" is too short and doesn't really reflect why it's named that way...have to think about permanence of the name some 50 years down the line.

Usually the public drops the memorial entirely for highways, but it seems to stick around for other things like stadiums (especially those of the multi-use era).

Alps

Quote from: Bruce on February 24, 2019, 01:08:54 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 23, 2019, 11:50:19 PM

Perhaps "Oso Highway"?

"Oso Memorial Highway" would have been fine enough. "Oso Highway" is too short and doesn't really reflect why it's named that way...have to think about permanence of the name some 50 years down the line.

Usually the public drops the memorial entirely for highways, but it seems to stick around for other things like stadiums (especially those of the multi-use era).
"Bear Road" seems fine to me.

Bruce

A full list of projects proposed in the upcoming $16 billion transportation package (which is almost entirely highways related). Big-ticket items include the US 2 Hewitt Avenue trestle replacement ($1.49 billion), the Columbia River Bridge on I-5 ($3.175 billion), ferry terminal renovations ($1.5 billion), SR 3 widening near Gorst ($300 million), SR 18 widening near Tiger Mountain ($285 million), I-5 widening through JBLM ($350 million), and completing grade separations on SR 522 and US 395.

http://sdc.wastateleg.org/hobbs/wp-content/uploads/sites/13/2019/02/2019TranspoProjects.pdf?utm_source=PSRC+News+-+Josh+Newsletter&utm_campaign=6d606a2b59-jnews-feb-25-2019&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4145c6c4e3-6d606a2b59-131826385

nexus73

Quote from: Bruce on February 25, 2019, 10:03:58 PM
A full list of projects proposed in the upcoming $16 billion transportation package (which is almost entirely highways related). Big-ticket items include the US 2 Hewitt Avenue trestle replacement ($1.49 billion), the Columbia River Bridge on I-5 ($3.175 billion), ferry terminal renovations ($1.5 billion), SR 3 widening near Gorst ($300 million), SR 18 widening near Tiger Mountain ($285 million), I-5 widening through JBLM ($350 million), and completing grade separations on SR 522 and US 395.

http://sdc.wastateleg.org/hobbs/wp-content/uploads/sites/13/2019/02/2019TranspoProjects.pdf?utm_source=PSRC+News+-+Josh+Newsletter&utm_campaign=6d606a2b59-jnews-feb-25-2019&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4145c6c4e3-6d606a2b59-131826385

What is JBLM?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Bruce

JBLM = Joint Base Lewis-McChord, aka Fort Lewis and McChord Air Force Base.

It's much easier to use the new acronym.

nexus73

Quote from: Bruce on February 25, 2019, 10:21:20 PM

Never heard that acronym before.  Thanks for sharing.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Bruce

Quote from: nexus73 on February 25, 2019, 10:28:03 PM

Rick

That's surprising. It's been in common use for about a decade now and has started to replace Fort Lewis entirely.

jakeroot

I still instinctively say "McChord" or "Fort Lewis" when I know enough to be specific, but otherwise "JBLM"...I too thought this was a fairly well-known acronym. On most signs, and was part of a larger nation-wide pattern in the mid-noughties.

Usually pronounced as a normal acronym, although sometimes "jay-blam" (at least by the military personnel themselves)

Tarkus

I have a friend who was in the Air Force and was stationed at JBLM for awhile.  He pronounced it "jibblum" .

jakeroot

Quote from: Tarkus on February 26, 2019, 12:12:28 AM
I have a friend who was in the Air Force and was stationed at JBLM for awhile.  He pronounced it "jibblum" .

My information comes from Air Force personnel as well. But no doubt most just call it "McChord"...the whole Joint-Base operations continue to be ridiculed.

nexus73

Quote from: Bruce on February 25, 2019, 10:47:01 PM

Rick

That's surprising. It's been in common use for about a decade now and has started to replace Fort Lewis entirely.

Since where I live is almost 400 miles away from the base, it never gets any mention in our local papers.  You live right there and thus hear about the base on a regular basis.  Now what does SCCI mean?  To you, nothing.  Over here it stands for South Coast Culinary Institute, which is part of SOCC, formerly SWOCC, which stands for Southwestern Oregon Community College. 

Local knowledge....

Rick

compdude787

Quote from: Bruce on February 25, 2019, 10:03:58 PM

I like what I'm seeing on that list. Are they still proposing a carbon tax to pay for it though? I'm not quite sold on that.

Tarkus

Quote from: jakeroot on February 26, 2019, 12:36:59 AM
Quote from: Tarkus on February 26, 2019, 12:12:28 AM

My information comes from Air Force personnel as well. But no doubt most just call it "McChord"...the whole Joint-Base operations continue to be ridiculed.

Similarly, all the Army people I know who have been up there just say "Fort Lewis".  I could tell my Air Force friend thought "Jibblum" was funny.

Oh, and that list of widening . . . seeing SR-18 makes me happy.  That's the one hairy spot in an otherwise very nice road--went on it once back when I was going to CWU, and wanted to avoid the snow in the Gorge and on US-97.

jakeroot

Quote from: Tarkus on February 26, 2019, 06:56:11 PM
Oh, and that list of widening . . . seeing SR-18 makes me happy.  That's the one hairy spot in an otherwise very nice road--went on it once back when I was going to CWU, and wanted to avoid the snow in the Gorge and on US-97.

Indeed. It's such a nice road (apart from the Federal Way-Auburn segment, aka the original section), given the swooping curves and excellent interchanges, its certainly worthy of a 70 or 75 limit, though I have little faith in WSDOT raising it. Perhaps when it's entirely freeway from I-90 to I-5, we will see a higher limit.

Alas, I highly doubt this transport package will pass. Not sure the funding plan is as fledged out as it needs to be, nor am I sure there's enough support for a package at all, so soon after passing a similarly-large transport package.

nexus73

Quote from: jakeroot on February 26, 2019, 09:59:51 PM

Indeed. It's such a nice road (apart from the Federal Way-Auburn segment, aka the original section), given the swooping curves and excellent interchanges, its certainly worthy of a 70 or 75 limit, though I have little faith in WSDOT raising it. Perhaps when it's entirely freeway from I-90 to I-5, we will see a higher limit.

Alas, I highly doubt this transport package will pass. Not sure the funding plan is as fledged out as it needs to be, nor am I sure there's enough support for a package at all, so soon after passing a similarly-large transport package.

Getting SR 18 finished as a freeway should have been done a long time ago.  It is an useful bypass of Seattle proper.  Somewhere I read that WSDOT had a plan to do so.  Is there a schedule for improvements yet?

Rick

jakeroot

Quote from: nexus73 on February 26, 2019, 11:29:04 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 26, 2019, 09:59:51 PM

Getting SR 18 finished as a freeway should have been done a long time ago.  It is an useful bypass of Seattle proper.  Somewhere I read that WSDOT had a plan to do so.  Is there a schedule for improvements yet?

I'm not sure what the delay has been, though it has consistently taken a long time to get any section of 18 widened. The section from Federal Way to 167 was widened by the late mid-60s, and from 167 past Auburn in the mid-80s. From past Auburn to a bit past Covington by the mid-90s (as well as the interchange at Issaquah-Hobart Rd), and then to its current point by around 2006 or 2007. So it's definitely due, though the Tiger Mountain stretch is arguably the most technically challenging, and therefore most expensive as well.

The current project is to rebuild the interchange at I-90 into a diverging diamond, though I know long-term plans are for a fully-directional interchange. The interchange rebuild was funded by the Connecting Washington transport package from 2015 ($150M):

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/I90/SR18ICImprove/default.htm

(current proposal on left, long-term on right -- click for larger photo):

(images from http://livingsnoqualmie.com)

Bruce

Quote from: nexus73 on February 26, 2019, 09:34:26 AM
Quote from: Bruce on February 25, 2019, 10:47:01 PM

Rick

Since where I live is almost 400 miles away from the base, it never gets any mention in our local papers.  You live right there and thus hear about the base on a regular basis.  Now what does SCCI mean?  To you, nothing.  Over here it stands for South Coast Culinary Institute, which is part of SOCC, formerly SWOCC, which stands for Southwestern Oregon Community College. 

Local knowledge....

Rick

I actually live about 90 miles from JBLM, and most often hear the term from people connected to the Navy (since the Navy has a major presence up here). FWIW, they either use JBLM (spelling it out) or Fort Lewis if they've been around for a while.

jakeroot

The northbound I-5 exit 132 sign has changed again. The advanced warning for the 705/7 (Exit 133) split has been replaced in favor of a covered-up HOV sign (as there will now be a left HOV exit here), but the sign for exit 132 itself has also been replaced. The new sign makes it a bit clearer that both lanes go towards Hwy 16, instead of just the left lane.

The 705/7 sign has been moved downstream. You can see it in the background. There is also a new sign on the C/D lanes indicating which ramps of the parclo to use for S 38 St.

I guess it should be noted that, as with many signs in the area, it does not conform to the national MUTCD of using white-on-green arrows at exit only + option lane splits. This would have been a good location for an APL, especially with the HOV exit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.