News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Atlantic Gateway Thread

Started by Mapmikey, July 05, 2016, 08:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Virginia has been awarded a $165M Fastlane grant for the Atlantic Gateway project - http://governor.virginia.gov/newsroom/newsarticle?articleId=15801.

The proposal Virginia submitted is here - http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/resources/atlantic_gateway/Atlantic_Gateway_FASTLANEGrantApp2016.pdf

A suggested timeline for all the projects which range from more commuter lot parking to reviving the railroad line from Petersburg southwest to North Carolina to extending the 95/395 express lanes to  run from Fredericksburg to the Pentagon is on page 22.  It suggests ALL projects will be done by the end of 2020.

cpzilliacus

What is Maryland doing?  Having arguments over bus lines in Baltimore, cutting tolls, (presumably) building the Purple Line light rail, and improving roads in rural areas of the state that probably do not need it.

In other words, nothing.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Jmiles32

Unfortunately the reason Maryland has seemingly done nothing is because politics still have a huge influence on their transportation projects. I applaud Governor McAuliffe and his staff for being able to work with Republicans and setting up the smart scale system that improves/builds roads based on actual traffic data instead of politics. If Maryland does ever convert to this system (hopefully soon), I believe they would find adding express lanes on I-95,I-495, I-270 and rebuilding the American Legion and Nice bridges as the most beneficial projects.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 05, 2016, 10:10:06 PM
What is Maryland doing?

Marylanders voted for lower taxes and fewer projects...Hogan is delivering on that.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on July 05, 2016, 11:26:25 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 05, 2016, 10:10:06 PM
What is Maryland doing?

Marylanders voted for lower taxes and fewer projects...Hogan is delivering on that.

Marylanders voted for less light rail (at least that was what Hogan  ran on). 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Jmiles32 on July 05, 2016, 11:24:29 PM
Unfortunately the reason Maryland has seemingly done nothing is because politics still have a huge influence on their transportation projects. I applaud Governor McAuliffe and his staff for being able to work with Republicans and setting up the smart scale system that improves/builds roads based on actual traffic data instead of politics. If Maryland does ever convert to this system (hopefully soon), I believe they would find adding express lanes on I-95,I-495, I-270 and rebuilding the American Legion and Nice bridges as the most beneficial projects.

I generally agree. 

The American Legion Bridge may only need one span rebuilt (it consists of six), but it needs (above all) to be widened.

The Nice Bridge needs to be totally replaced. 

froggie

QuoteMarylanders voted for less light rail (at least that was what Hogan  ran on).

They did get less light rail.  They killed the Baltimore Red Line.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: froggie on July 06, 2016, 10:07:13 AM
QuoteMarylanders voted for less light rail (at least that was what Hogan  ran on).

They did get less light rail.  They killed the Baltimore Red Line.

But Baltimore residents can take solace in the fact that Eastern Shore residents got lower CBB tolls.

cpzilliacus

Dr. Gridlock in the Washington Post: What to expect from Virginia's Atlantic Gateway projects

QuoteVirginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe came to the King Street rail station Friday morning to describe the details of the Atlantic Gateway program, which he called "the most comprehensive transportation package in Virginia history."  It brings together a grand total of $1.4 billion in road and rail projects capped off this week by a federal grant of $165 million that completed the financial plan.

QuoteAmong those applauding the governor's list of what's ahead for Northern Virginia commuters was Doug Allen, chief executive of Virginia Railway Express. Allen said he's looking forward to several improvements in the next few years that will give the two-line commuter service more flexibility: construction of about six miles of a fourth main-line track from the south side of the Potomac River, by the Long Bridge, to Alexandria, and the construction of a third track along about eight miles of the main line between the Franconia-Springfield VRE station and the Occoquan River.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 08, 2016, 03:37:24 PM
QuoteAmong those applauding the governor's list of what's ahead for Northern Virginia commuters was Doug Allen, chief executive of Virginia Railway Express. Allen said he's looking forward to several improvements in the next few years that will give the two-line commuter service more flexibility: construction of about six miles of a fourth main-line track from the south side of the Potomac River, by the Long Bridge, to Alexandria, and the construction of a third track along about eight miles of the main line between the Franconia-Springfield VRE station and the Occoquan River.

You mean...the Virginia Railway Express might one day be able to run...express?
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

kkt

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 08, 2016, 03:45:49 PM

:-D

1995hoo

I've sometimes wondered how much the VRE gets hung up due to Amtrak service, especially around the Auto Train depot in Lorton, given that the Amtrak trains get hung up due to freight service. I've only ridden the VRE twice, both times on the Manassas line from the Rolling Road stop to L'Enfant Plaza, and both of those were in the summer of 1992, so I have no sense for how the service is. (I priced it out as an option during WMATA Surges 3 and 4 but rejected it because for the two of us it would have come to around $44 a day. Driving is substantially cheaper, even when the I-495 HO/T lane toll from I-66 to Springfield is $11.40 like it was today. Driving is faster, too.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 08, 2016, 03:45:49 PM

MARC has some skip-stop trains on its line (not many, but it has some).

I suppose this might allow similar service for VRE.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 08, 2016, 07:40:59 PM
I've sometimes wondered how much the VRE gets hung up due to Amtrak service, especially around the Auto Train depot in Lorton, given that the Amtrak trains get hung up due to freight service. I've only ridden the VRE twice, both times on the Manassas line from the Rolling Road stop to L'Enfant Plaza, and both of those were in the summer of 1992, so I have no sense for how the service is. (I priced it out as an option during WMATA Surges 3 and 4 but rejected it because for the two of us it would have come to around $44 a day. Driving is substantially cheaper, even when the I-495 HO/T lane toll from I-66 to Springfield is $11.40 like it was today. Driving is faster, too.)

I have observed the AutoTrain arrive Lorton in the mornings and leave in the afternoons quite a few times.  It seems that the schedules for VRE and the "regular" Amtrak trains are carefully slotted by those operators and CSX to not conflict with each other (remember that most VRE stops only have platforms on the inbound side, so the VRE trains usually run the "wrong way" toward Washington, D.C.).  There is potential for conflict, since the Auto Trains must move over to their spur track on the  left going north as they arrive at Lorton, and "merge" onto what is normally the southbound track as they depart, but for the most part, there does not appear to be much difficulty associated with it (I have never actually taken the Auto Train).

If your destination workplace is near one of the "in-town" VRE stations (Alexandria, Crystal City, L'Enfant Plaza or Union Station), then it is a pretty good deal thanks to convenience (I know several people that ride VRE frequently because our office is a short walk from Union Station). And as you point out above, VRE is not going to be hobbled by the various Metrorail track repair surges, though it will likely have more riders during some phases of the surge work.

1995hoo

We've ridden the Auto Train many times, but when you're on the train it's hard to observe operations.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.