News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Limon

Started by JayhawkCO, November 25, 2021, 11:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which describes you?

I have been to/through Limon, CO and I think it's fine as a primary control city.
38 (40.9%)
I have NOT been to/through Limon, CO and I think it's fine as a primary control city.
17 (18.3%)
I have been to/through Limon, CO and I don't think it should be used as a primary control city.
16 (17.2%)
I have NOT been to/through Limon, CO and I don't think it should be used as a primary control city.
22 (23.7%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Scott5114

Quote from: brad2971 on June 20, 2023, 07:09:06 PM
Quote from: 1 on June 19, 2023, 12:44:34 PM
Poiponen13 has the right idea: relocate a whole bunch of people to somewhere on the I-70 corridor (Burlington?) so that there's a control city that's large enough.

Be careful. Burlington does have a Core-Civic owned prison that's been closed since 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limon_Correctional_Facility
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 20, 2023, 08:17:08 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limon_Correctional_Facility

I...

clicked on the link,
read the basic stats,
was intrigued by the fact that a seminary has established a campus at the prison,
considered clicking on the seminary's link but decided against it,
started glancing through the list of "incidents",
forgot that I had decided against reading about the seminary itself,
landed on the phrase "Edward Montour Jr. beat correctional officer Eric Autobee to death", and
thought it was a member of the seminary staff who had done so.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mrsman

Quote from: KCRoadFan on June 18, 2023, 09:15:39 PM
Just have Kansas City as the eastbound control city from Denver. Limon, Burlington, Goodland, Colby, Oakley, WaKeeney, Hays, Russell, Salina, Junction City, and Topeka could be used as secondaries, on a rotating basis. Problem solved!

(All right, I could see Hays, Salina, and Topeka occasionally being used as the primary - that is, third-line - destinations along the Burlington-Oakley, Hays-Russell, and Salina-Junction City sections, respectively, with the closer, smaller town being the secondary, but most of the signs would have KC as the primary.)

The same principle could be applied for signing Denver westbound - at least west of Salina, anyway.

This would basically be my approach as well.  I'm a very big believer in using the big nationally recognized cities as controls. But I also believe strongly in the approach of incorporating secondary controls, which will highlight many of these smaller cities that have their own value as key junctions or stopping points for gas and food. 

Primary controls: WB from KC: Topeka, then Denver.  EB from Denver: KC

minneha

What is the furthest east point in Kansas where Limon is signed, either in an on-ramp sign or a distance sign? In past discussions here, someone said years ago there was a Limon sign near Manhattan. That one has presumably been removed? I think many of the Limon signs east of Hays have been removed. I don't know of any that still exist. Limon used to be listed on distance signs around Russell, but those have been taken down and replaced with signs that just give the distance to Hays.

kphoger

Quote from: minneha on June 22, 2023, 05:34:12 PM
What is the furthest east point in Kansas where Limon is signed, either in an on-ramp sign or a distance sign? In past discussions here, someone said years ago there was a Limon sign near Manhattan. That one has presumably been removed? I think many of the Limon signs east of Hays have been removed. I don't know of any that still exist. Limon used to be listed on distance signs around Russell, but those have been taken down and replaced with signs that just give the distance to Hays.

Wow!  It was signed even east of Hays?

Here's one on the western outskirts of Hays, as of 2021 GSV:  https://goo.gl/maps/uzu6RXHqmF1eU1Lk6

As for distance signs, here's one I found for 260 miles:  https://goo.gl/maps/7ytNucceRXrzCYQw7
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

minneha

Quote from: kphoger on June 22, 2023, 06:03:23 PMAs for distance signs, here's one I found for 260 miles:  https://goo.gl/maps/7ytNucceRXrzCYQw7

On a recent drive, I noticed that this sign, Hays 11 Oakley 94 Limon 260, was taken down and replaced with a sign that says Hays 9. No other cities on it. Just Hays 9. There is another sign just east of the US-281 exit at Russell that says Hays 29, again with no other cities on it. And I think that sign used to have Limon on it as well.

zachary_amaryllis

Poiponen13 has the right idea: relocate a whole bunch of people to somewhere on the I-70 corridor (Burlington?) so that there's a control city that's large enough.

Be careful. Burlington does have a Core-Civic owned prison that's been closed since 2016.
Limon has a state-owned one, just S of town on 71. One-star review - food's terrible.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kalvado

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on June 23, 2023, 07:29:26 AM

Limon has a state-owned one, just S of town on 71. One-star review - food's terrible.
It should also be noted that correctional facility is a, well let's call it tourist destination. Relatives do visit inmates at the facility, meaning more traffic and more reason to have the place signed.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 20, 2023, 02:32:30 PM
I think people are against Limon because on the east coast Limon would never be a control city but in the west the population is pretty sparse and Limon makes sense

Some people are upset Trenton made it as a control city on the NJ Turnpike, so there's that.

kphoger

Quote from: kalvado on June 23, 2023, 08:11:03 AM
It should also be noted that correctional facility is a, well let's call it tourist destination. Relatives do visit inmates at the facility, meaning more traffic and more reason to have the place signed.

You know...  When my wife and son and I visited my mother-in-law at the Chillicothe (MO) correctional facility several years ago, we (1) stayed in a hotel and (2) ordered take-out from a local restaurant to share with her in the visitation area.  You're on to something there...
Male pronouns, please.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 23, 2023, 08:59:07 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 20, 2023, 02:32:30 PM
I think people are against Limon because on the east coast Limon would never be a control city but in the west the population is pretty sparse and Limon makes sense

Some people are upset Trenton made it as a control city on the NJ Turnpike, so there's that.

Well, at least Limon is actually on I-70 - on the other hand, Trenton's not even on the Turnpike. Heck, it's not even on I-95 anymore, ever since the gap was filled.

So in other words, it makes even less sense to have Trenton as a control city on the Turnpike.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.