News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

QuoteFebruary 4: Photos that show two routes of the same number, but different types.

US 101 northbound approaching the I-110/CA 110 interchange in downtown Los Angeles.

QuoteFebruary 19: Post pictures of route marker/sign close-ups.

Here's a good one if you'd consider this to be a close-up (although I've posted it elsewhere in the forum before). It's an authentic US 66 guide sign dating back to before 1985, and it's in Albuquerque!

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

7/8

February 4: Photos that show two routes of the same number, but different types.

Townline Rd is both Waterloo RR 33 and Wellington CR 33

February 8: Post photos of signs whose typical color scheme has been altered for intentional effect.

This white-on-black speed limit sign on Aviation Parkway in Ottawa. I believe this is due to it being a rare case of a federal roadway.

February 11: Post pictures of the oldest sign (NOT oldest photo of a sign) in your photo collection.

I believe that this sign here could be the oldest in my collection. I made a thread asking about them in the summer, but unfortunately I didn't get any response.

wanderer2575

QuoteFebruary 14 Challenge: Route displays/BGSes with unusual auxiliary elements

Marshall, MI:

February 4: Photos that show two routes of the same number, but different types.

paulthemapguy

QuoteFebruary 25: Post photos of signs acknowledging a "former" route.

OH-533-old by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

empirestate

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 27, 2017, 07:47:10 PM

I always wondered if that Challenge was intended for any former route, or just ones specifically labeled with that word (since it's in quotation marks)?

dgolub

Northern terminus of Delaware CR 28 at Delaware CR 17 in Fishs Eddy, NY:

hotdogPi

Quote from: dgolub on February 27, 2017, 08:27:15 PM
Northern terminus of Delaware CR 28 at Delaware CR 17 in Fishs Eddy, NY:

This satisfies two challenges at once!

1. NY 17 and CR 17 are both in the picture.
2. According to the photo, east and west are in the same direction.
Clinched, plus NH 38 and MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

7/8

Quote from: empirestate on February 27, 2017, 07:58:13 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 27, 2017, 07:47:10 PM

I always wondered if that Challenge was intended for any former route, or just ones specifically labeled with that word (since it's in quotation marks)?

I was thinking of signs containing the word "former" or "formerly", but I don't mind people posting other examples (like the one above).

MNHighwayMan

QuoteFebruary 21: Post photos of letter-suffixed routes at a junction with their un-suffixed parent.

epzik8

QuoteFebruary 1: Post photos of route shields containing hyphens, or any other punctuation or diacritical marks.
Maryland Route 2-4 in Calvert County, taken February 3, just two days after the first go-round for this challenge.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

empirestate

QuoteFebruary 28, 2017
Challenge: Post ground-level photos containing the entirety of some route within the frame.

This is in honor of the last day of the shortest month. :-) Also, don't forget the monthly recap is still active for the rest of today as well!

formulanone

QuoteFebruary 21: Post photos of letter-suffixed routes at a junction with their un-suffixed parent.

Old "sidewalk" US 66, west of Miami, OK. This alignment was no longer used after the 1930s.

US 31EX is former alignment of US 31E, but I've read the "X" was supposed to be an internal designation.

dgolub

QuoteFebruary 28, 2017
Challenge: Post ground-level photos containing the entirety of some route within the frame.

Bay Boulevard (Nassau CR 2A) on Long Island:

It's one block long and, like all county routes in Nassau County, unsigned.

formulanone

QuoteFebruary 28, 2017

Indiana State Road 520 is about 1000 feet long, and connects US 20 with US 12.

This is the entirety of Alabama State Route 208, at roughly 0.8 miles; the end is at the intersection at the vanishing point.

adventurernumber1

(EDIT: REPLACED THE INVALIDATED ROAD SIGN VOWEL CHALLENGE WITH A SECOND ONE FOR THE TUNNEL CHALLENGE)

Feb 18:

These tunnels aren't as unique or interesting as the OP of this challenge was striving for, which is why I never posted them on that day, but I suppose it is better than nothing at all.

(-locations coming soon for both pictures-)

[2nd image coming]

[3rd image coming]

i know which ones they are, i just have to go through the process of uploading them
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

chays

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on March 01, 2017, 12:06:42 AM
Feb 19th:

[4th image]

(close up of a road work sign, literally coming within minutes)

(very sorry for posting this after 12:00, but I originally submitted this post at 11:59:xx (maybe 11:59:06, but I cannot remember for sure) - my OCD is literally killing me for not remembering and documenting the last two numbers of the time, but then OCD said "oh, you have to take a "perfect" picture of having 683 posts on your profile or else all of your posts will be deleted." I freaking hate this crap it throws at me so much, and I'm sorry if I come off as quite a weird and irksome one. This is the first rule that I am aware that I have broken in the "Daily Picture Challenge" thread, and I feel terrible about it. Once again I am very sorry.)
David, I can't imagine what it must be like to go through what you are going through, so it would be imprudent to sit here and say "it's no big deal" about the post-midnight posting.  However, you should know that we are all on your side and want the best for you, so hang in there.

empirestate

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on February 28, 2017, 11:56:56 PM
February 7:

That's the one with all five vowels? I'm not seeing the "u".

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on March 01, 2017, 12:06:42 AM
(very sorry for posting this after 12:00, but I originally submitted this post at 11:59:xx (maybe 11:59:06, but I cannot remember for sure) - my OCD is literally killing me for not remembering and documenting the last two numbers of the time, but then OCD said "oh, you have to take a "perfect" picture of having 683 posts on your profile or else all of your posts will be deleted." I freaking hate this crap it throws at me so much, and I'm sorry if I come off as quite a weird and irksome one. This is the first rule that I am aware that I have broken in the "Daily Picture Challenge" thread, and I feel terrible about it. Once again I am very sorry.)

Don't worry; the penalty for doing so is usually quite mild. ;-)

empirestate

Hmm, nobody's done a new Challenge yet? Well then...

QuoteMarch 1, 2017
Challenge: Post photos of parade routes painted or otherwise marked on a road surface.

In honor of the 1st of "march". :-)

From Wikipedia:

adventurernumber1

THIS HAS BEEN REPOSTED. IT WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED A DAY EARLIER AND HAS A COUPLE OF REPLIES FOR IT, SO DO NOT BE CONFUSED.

Feb 19th:

(close up of a road work sign, literally coming within minutes)

EDIT:

(This stuff is driving me nuts, my stupid OCD made me repost because it wasn't posted "perfectly" the first time, but now it was accidentally posted after midnight because I was trying to post it at 11:59 because I "had" to, and now I have a gap in my posts, as I do not have one for March 1st. Thank you very much if you care for me, and I appreciate the support, but I honestly don't know how much longer I can take this. I am seeing a psychiatrist and a psychologist, I am on three medications for mental illnesses (more for physical stuff as well), and I haven't had time to read the OCD Workbook because Junior Year (11th Grade) of High School is absolute hell. Now that I have not satisfied this evil OCD, which is like a mind of its own, I will not be able to function. This is not good.)
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

US71

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on March 02, 2017, 12:00:01 AM

A lot of us are "weird" and "irksome" in some way. Don't worry about it.  :)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

dgolub

QuoteMarch 1, 2017
Challenge: Post photos of parade routes painted or otherwise marked on a road surface.[/u]

Red, white, and blue center line marking the route of the original Independence Day Parade on RI 114 in Bristol:

PHLBOS

Since nobody yet posted a March 2 Challenge...

QuoteMarch 1, 2017
Challenge: Post photos of parade routes painted or otherwise marked on a road surface.
Similar for Washington St. in (South) Peabody, MA:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

empirestate

Quote from: dgolub on March 02, 2017, 08:51:49 AM
QuoteMarch 1, 2017

Red, white, and blue center line marking the route of the original Independence Day Parade on RI 114 in Bristol:

Unfortunately, that's yesterday's Challenge...and as this is the same "answer" I posted, it's doubly ineligible.

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 02, 2017, 09:28:40 AM
Since nobody yet posted a March 2 Challenge...

QuoteMarch 1, 2017

That's not how this works...you can post a new Challenge for March 2 if nobody else has, but yesterday's Challenge closed at midnight, regardless.

In hindsight, I slightly regret answering the Challenge myself when I posted it, because if I hadn't, it would have remained unanswered and thus stayed open for today. Still, it would then have been closed by dgolub's answer above.

So, who's gonna make things ship-shape and post a new Challenge for today? ;-)

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

QuoteJanuary 3 challenge: Photos that show one or more traffic lights that are in the yellow phase at the time of the photo. It must be a full traffic light; flashing yellow alone does not count.
Clinched, plus NH 38 and MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.