News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Amazon HQ2

Started by Bruce, September 07, 2017, 05:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

1995hoo

Amazon is calling Crystal City "National Landing."  I think I'll call it "Reagan National Landing"  just to irk the people who don't like it when you say "Reagan Airport."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 13, 2018, 08:09:03 PM
Amazon is calling Crystal City "National Landing."  I think I'll call it "Reagan National Landing"  just to irk the people who don't like it when you say "Reagan Airport."

Those people would include the local governments that are subsidizing the Amazon project, and would rather you call the airport by its old name "National Airport". It took an Act of Congress to jam the Reagan airport name down their throats.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jakeroot

I've been talking to my mom all day and we cannot figure out what the hell they're talking about...National Landing?? My first thought was some development like National Harbor but no one's bothered to mention "National Landing" until now.

Jmiles32

Quote from: jakeroot on November 13, 2018, 10:31:40 PM

I've been talking to my mom all day and we cannot figure out what the hell they're talking about...National Landing?? My first thought was some development like National Harbor but no one's bothered to mention "National Landing" until now.

Wouldn't be surprised if the name "National Landing" was somewhat influenced by wanting to be associated with the popular and prosperous National Harbor just down the river.

Here are some of the likely transportation improvements the area will see as a result:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/amazons-hq2-could-be-boon-or-bust-for-metro-and-the-regions-transportation-infrastructure/2018/11/13/748efa5c-e2d3-11e8-b759-3d88a5ce9e19_story.html?utm_term=.7c18c963f87c
QuoteVirginia, Arlington and Alexandria said they were spending more than half a billion dollars to support Amazon's plans, much of it on existing projects. The plans included an additional entrance to the Crystal City Metro station and a second entrance for the planned Potomac Yard station.

The plans also include a pedestrian bridge from Reagan National Airport to Crystal City and a transit-way expansion in a corridor with the region's only bus rapid transit system, along with improvements to Route 1.

Arlington and Alexandria's pledged investments totaled $570 million, while Virginia said it was investing $195 million in improvements; the funding would go to new projects and the expansion of existing ones. The plan would tie new transportation funding levels from the state to the number of jobs Amazon creates.

Overall very excited that half of HQ2 is coming to NOVA. Since there are obviously limited highway improvements that can be done due to the physical constraints of the area, improvements to Metro and VRE need to be on the top of the list.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Flint1979

abefroman329

MikieTimT

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 14, 2018, 06:44:04 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 13, 2018, 11:37:18 PM
It really took them that long to choose NYC and DC?
The conspiracy theorist in me says no.

All just a ruse to pump up the tax breaks.  And it'll probably work again when they need a couple more satellite offices elsewhere in the country.

ET21

I'm sure they knew 3 months ago.... so conspiracy me thinks no  :-D :-D :pan:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

LM117

Quote from: MikieTimT on November 14, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

All just a ruse to pump up the tax breaks.  And it'll probably work again when they need a couple more satellite offices elsewhere in the country.

Agreed. There's no way in hell it took this long for Bezos to make up his mind. Almost everybody knew from the start HQ2 would go to NoVA since Congress is right next door. The only real plot twist was the decision to split HQ2, along with Nashville being thrown a bone.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

jeffandnicole

Quote from: LM117 on November 14, 2018, 08:51:18 AM

Agreed. There’s no way in hell it took this long for Bezos to make up his mind. Almost everybody knew from the start HQ2 would go to NoVA since Congress is right next door. The only real plot twist was the decision to split HQ2, along with Nashville being thrown a bone.

I'd like to go back a year ago and see if truly "everybody knew".  Because while there were some strong prospects, it was hardly a given.

abefroman329

Considering one of the incentives Illinois offered Amazon was that Amazon could keep the state taxes its employees in Illinois would have otherwise paid to Illinois, that employees' earnings in Illinois literally would've gone back to Amazon, I'm perfectly fine with them not choosing Illinois.

paulthemapguy

It's quite possible Long Island is logistically the worst possible place they could have put an HQ.  Getting through NYC is damn near impossible from a freight standpoint.  Way to dump an unneeded load on an already expensive and stretched-thin transportation system.  Not to mention the people of NYC are more likely to revile at an installation of a new Amazon HQ than the people of most anywhere else in America, if I'm reading the situation correctly.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

hotdogPi

Quote from: paulthemapguy on November 14, 2018, 09:46:24 AM
It's quite possible Long Island is logistically the worst possible place they could have put an HQ.  Getting through NYC is damn near impossible from a freight standpoint.  Way to dump an unneeded load on an already expensive and stretched-thin transportation system.  Not to mention the people of NYC are more likely to revile at an installation of a new Amazon HQ than the people of most anywhere else in America, if I'm reading the situation correctly.

Amazon could completely fund two Long Island bridges: one to New Jersey and one to Connecticut. $40 million is almost nothing to them.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

MikieTimT

Quote from: 1 on November 14, 2018, 09:49:25 AM

Amazon could completely fund two Long Island bridges: one to New Jersey and one to Connecticut. $40 million is almost nothing to them.

If only bridges were that cheap these days.  And Amazon doesn't get to spend shareholder money in ways like that.

formulanone

Drone delivery, even though we're realistically 10+ years away from that replacing traditional delivery methods.

Doctor Whom

Amazon is calling Crystal City "National Landing."
If people could be persuaded to refer to "North Bethesda" unironically, anything is possible.

briantroutman

All just a ruse to pump up the tax breaks.

That's the oft-repeated narrative, but the evidence would suggest otherwise.

Among the top 20 finalists, neither New York nor Virginia were anywhere near the top. NY's $1.5 billion and VA's roughly $600 million were dwarfed by the $7 billion offered by New Jersey and over $8 billion offered by Maryland. It's notable that in both cases, Amazon still would have landed in the same metro areas (NYC and Washington, respectively) if they had taken the much more generous NJ or MD offers.

1995hoo

Quote from: jakeroot on November 13, 2018, 10:31:40 PM

It's a new name. Nobody here has ever heard "National Landing"  before (I've lived here since 1974). The news last night said Alexandria and Arlington came up with the name as a way of referring to the entire area of Crystal City, Pentagon City, and Potomac Yard as a single area, I guess to emphasize how they're all close to each other.

I saw something yesterday joking that the Nationals will move to a new ballpark there and rebrand themselves as the National Landing Nationals and that they'd then become the airport's corporate sponsor, which led me to joke that the airport would become "Ronald Reagan National Landing Nationals Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport."   :-D
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

Quote from: 1 on November 14, 2018, 09:49:25 AM

Long Island City is a neighborhood in Queens right next to Manhattan (although it is on geographic Long Island, just not the part the post people think of when they think of Long Island).  Those bridges would be a little too far east to help.

The people in the neighborhood ARE against it, but because they think they money spent on incentives would be better spent directly investing in the community.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

AlexandriaVA

I'm sure that I'll continue to call it Crystal City, much like I still call the nearby airport as "National" out of habit, but to prove it has nothing to do with politics, I still call the arena on 7th St in DC the "MCI Center".

What's funny is that some of my friends would give me a hard time for calling it the MCI Center rather than the "Verizon Center", but recently some of those same friends have slipped up, by calling it the Verizon Center rather than the "Capital One Arena"

Beltway

Not Long Island, but Long Island City.  Western Queens, right across the river from Manhattan.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

kevinb1994

Quote from: Beltway on November 14, 2018, 10:57:06 PM

Not Long Island, but Long Island City.  Eastern Queens, right across the river from Manhattan.

I think you meant Western Queens.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 14, 2018, 11:34:19 AM
It's a new name. Nobody here has ever heard "National Landing"  before (I've lived here since 1974). The news last night said Alexandria and Arlington came up with the name as a way of referring to the entire area of Crystal City, Pentagon City, and Potomac Yard as a single area, I guess to emphasize how they're all close to each other.

Read it and weep.     :coffee:
https://nationallanding.com/

What is a "landing" anyhow?  A waterfront area with dockage can utilize this term and it has been done in the past. 
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.