News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Road Sign Math

Started by hbelkins, December 21, 2009, 09:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Anyone remember the Road Sign math site at http://www.roadsignmath.com? It's been dormant for quite awhile.

Maybe we should resurrect the topic here.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

sure; this is a good way of bringing in other sign photographs that are not shield related.

here is a rule for continuity ... all posted photos must obey the math rule, as seen on that website, and furthermore one number from the previous photo must appear in the next one.

the math rule, in short, is you have to take a single sign (in our case, let's extend it to a single gantry if you want, as long as all the signs are facing one direction) and using all the numbers exactly once, write an equation that is correct.

I'll start off with something simple.

9 x 2 = 8 + 10

next poster has to come up with another photo that has at least one 2, 8, 9, or 10, and of course a correct equation.  Good good?  yes yes.  
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

Where is Carol Vorderman when you need her?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

WNYroadgeek

xonhulu

So can we break up numbers into their component digits?  I got the impression the Road Sign Math site didn't do that.

xonhulu

O.k., this took some figuring but I finally figured it out:

sqrt((sqrt(82-101/101))!/(sqrt(59+5))!)=21/sqrt(47+2)

agentsteel53

Quote from: xonhulu on December 22, 2009, 01:40:47 AM
So can we break up numbers into their component digits?  I got the impression the Road Sign Math site didn't do that.

for now, let's go with all numbers to be treated as they are, but if we have trouble coming up with examples (the Road Sign Math site hasn't been able to find one in two years :-D) then we can relax the rules.

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Road Sign Math didn't require the "use a number in the previous example" bit, but I understand this site is a bit different. RSM used to be on some different format but changed to the blog-style format (I think they use WordPress) shortly before going dormant. And I had a bunch of examples to send to them before they assumed room temperature.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

xonhulu

Thanks for that reference, HB.  I see now that my earlier work violated the rules since 101 occurred twice and I used it twice.

Riverside Frwy

Quote from: xonhulu on December 22, 2009, 12:39:07 PM
Thanks for that reference, HB.  I see now that my earlier work violated the rules since 101 occurred twice and I used it twice.

I JUST noticed that 199 the left side of the photo.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Riverside Frwy on December 22, 2009, 07:22:30 PM

I JUST noticed that 199 the left side of the photo.
I just realized I did an epic fail too
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

WNYroadgeek

xonhulu

Thanks for that reference, HB.  I see now that my earlier work violated the rules since 101 occurred twice and I used it twice.

O.k. I just re-read the rules and saw that I actually should have used 101 twice since it appeared twice in the photo, so my math did follow the rules.

No put-down to WNYroadgeek and 74/171FAN, but you both used basically the same formula ( a-a = c(b-b) )  and this will always work on any assembly or sign where two routes are repeated  (you can always get 0=0).  The same is true in this photo:

Now, I could go the 15 - 15 = 29(211 - 211) route, but it takes more to see this one: 15 + 15 - (211/211) = 29

We should try to be creative and have fun with this game.  In fact, this game might be a little more fun if one person posts a sign and have others try to find a math equation for it (the poster should already know one exists).  Any thoughts?

hbelkins

OK, here's an easy one for you.

xonhulu

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

also, your turn to post a photo.  I think this is a good way to ensure continuity...

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: xonhulu on December 23, 2009, 01:14:58 AM
1*2^3 + 6 = 14

Actually, all numbers used (including the sum) must be included on the sign and all signs must be on the same assembly. That's why, in the RSM game, two or more signs on independent posts wouldn't count unless there was a stabilizing bar installed. I remember submitting a sign to RSM and it being rejected because of this. Then during a sign replacement project, a connecting bar was added and the sign assembly became eligible. There was no 1 or 14 on the sign; I know you got them from the bridge height warning sign in the background but the only eligible numbers were on the BGS. 2 x 3 = 6.

There's another candidate just a few miles up the road from that sign on I-90 in Pennsylvania.

Truvelo

Here's another no-brainer :colorful:

Speed limits limit life

hbelkins

You're probably going for 1 + 1 + 2 = 4, but you can't split numbers up in a sign, according to the original RSM rules. "12" is "12," not "1" and "2."

Truvelo

Ok, but this one works. 39+51=90

Speed limits limit life

xonhulu

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 23, 2009, 01:19:22 AM
you forgot to solve for N ;)

Cool, because a variable would make all the problems really easy. :nod:

Anyway, you're right, I should post a follow-up photo.  This one has at least one solution, not using 0 = 0:

agentsteel53

211 + (13/13) + (99/99) - 2 + 11 - 8 = 214

not quite 0 = 0 but still a kinda trivial solution involving the 13/13 and 99/99.  nowhere near as impressive as that WW2 era OR-2/US-101 photo!

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.