News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why doesn't Missouri use all letters?

Started by dvferyance, November 07, 2017, 05:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

Just for comparison, in Wisconsin, there was a tendency to skip the letters "L" and "R".  The rationale being that motorists might confuse the designations with their directions "left" and "right".
This hesitation over using L and R has since passed as you can find examples of each around the state.  But they are almost always on county roads that became such more recently; say in the last 40 years.  As an example; CTH R in Brown and Manitowoc Counties came about when I-43 was built and the old US 141 got turned back.  I drive by a CTH L frequently that was part of US 51 north of Tomahawk until the late 80's.

One notices that in more rural counties that don't have enough county roads to use all 26 letters, L and R were never used.  And in others, they went to using double letters instead of using L and R.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on December 28, 2017, 08:53:24 AM
Quote from: roadguy2 on December 28, 2017, 12:49:19 AM
Getting the thread slightly back on topic, why does Missouri use O when it could be confused for 0?

Maybe because they don't have a highway Zero?

That's what I was thinking.  It's like asking why your car's VIN can include a zero when that could be confused with the letter O–just in reverse.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 28, 2017, 10:13:48 AM
Just for comparison, in Wisconsin, there was a tendency to skip the letters "L" and "R".  The rationale being that motorists might confuse the designations with their directions "left" and "right".
This hesitation over using L and R has since passed as you can find examples of each around the state.  But they are almost always on county roads that became such more recently; say in the last 40 years.  As an example; CTH R in Brown and Manitowoc Counties came about when I-43 was built and the old US 141 got turned back.  I drive by a CTH L frequently that was part of US 51 north of Tomahawk until the late 80's.

One notices that in more rural counties that don't have enough county roads to use all 26 letters, L and R were never used.  And in others, they went to using double letters instead of using L and R.

This was probably because the first few editions of the MUTCD prescribed using "L" and "R" to indicate turns, usually in a smaller shield of the same type as the highway.

Here's an Oklahoma state highway example:

Later, these were replaced by arrows.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

dvferyance

More Examples of that would be R in Dodge County fmr WI-109 turned back in the 90's. R in Waukesha County was once part of 16 until the freeway was built. L in Dodge County was once a part of 26 until the bypass was built. RR in Sheboygan County was once part of WI-144 was turned back after being disconnected to anything after I-43 was built.

Scott5114

Including O and OO allows MoDOT to raise its house edge on lettered routes to 5.26%.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

skluth

I enjoy Wisconsin's triple letters. AAA on Oneida St in Green Bay. OOO west of Fond du Lac. PPP in Sheboygan Falls. I'm sure there are others (I recall a XXX, but can't remember where I saw it).

Shoppingforfood

Quote from: skluth on January 04, 2018, 02:31:30 PM

I enjoy Wisconsin's triple letters. AAA on Oneida St in Green Bay. OOO west of Fond du Lac. PPP in Sheboygan Falls. I'm sure there are others (I recall a XXX, but can't remember where I saw it).

I think that triples should be reserved for VERY minor routes.
Going shopping...Gonna go shopping...

skluth

Quote from: Shoppingforfood on January 14, 2018, 10:13:33 AM
Quote from: skluth on January 04, 2018, 02:31:30 PM

I think that triples should be reserved for VERY minor routes.

I'm not thrilled with them. They all make some sense. AAA is the main route from US/I-41 to Lambeau Field, a big destination for football fans. I can't remember where there was a AA; possibly either Ridge Road or the old Airport Drive that is now WI 172 west of US/I-41. OOO parallels OO. I don't recall when it was added. But I think it was built as an alternate for OO back in the 60's. (I was born in Green Bay in the 50's, so I'm going by memory here.) PPP is the old WI 28 on the west side of Sheboygan Falls, connecting PP (which also incorporates part of the old 28) and the newer WI-28 bypass.

I don't recall many double letter county roads other than doubled letters like OO and VV when I was a kid. There was a GV connecting County Trunks G and V, but that's the only one I recall as a teen (then a quick route from the UWGB campus to my job in De Pere). I don't know if doubled letters was policy or just convention. If it was policy, that would explain the tripled letters county routes.

hotdogPi

I hope there is no KKK county route. Are there any?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

US71

Quote from: 1 on January 15, 2018, 12:24:49 PM

I think there is one K/KK junction in MIssouri
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on January 15, 2018, 12:29:57 PM

I think there is one K/KK junction in MIssouri

Laddonia, on US-54.

GSV shows every assembly being stacked, such that neither K|KK nor KK|K exists in-line.  I haven't driven that stretch since probably 2005, so my memory of what it was like before GSV is rather fuzzy.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

triplemultiplex

There used to be:
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=43.79471,-88.66422&z=15&t=M
And Google seems to think it still exists.  :banghead:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.