Central Susquehanna Valley Road Meet April 2018

Started by jpi, December 18, 2017, 11:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have narrowed down to 2 Saturdays in April 2018, hopefully no snow this time unlike April 2016

Saturday April 21
8 (57.1%)
Saturday April 28
6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 16, 2018, 11:21:56 PM

signalman

This is practically in my back yard, but I'm not certain if I can get the time off from work.  Jason, I'll let you know for certain soon.

jpi

Came across another good article in Pennlive.com on the construction progress, the picture shown is close to a viewing area where will be stopping at and may be a back drop for our group photo, speaking of group photo one request I have will be a tripod especially since I don't have one and Stephanie may not be with us on the tour.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/03/causeway_extension_to_allow_co.html
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

I have a tripod. If I make it to the meet, it will be in my vehicle. Remind me and I'll get it for you.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Oscar usually carries a tripod...is he attending?

jpi

Quote from: froggie on March 27, 2018, 12:52:17 PM
Oscar usually carries a tripod...is he attending?
I don't think he is able to make it based on what he said at Shreveport. H.B. thanks for the info, hopefully you can make it, we are getting close to 20 confirmed going at this point.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Brandon

And I've got a tripod, provided I remember to bring it, LOL.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cl94

Quote from: Brandon on March 27, 2018, 01:51:34 PM
And I've got a tripod, provided I remember to bring it, LOL.

Just don't leave it in my car this time.  :-D
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jpi

I just got in touch with Hoss's we have one of the banquet rooms reserved, I told them around 2 dozen people based on currently 15 attending and 2 dozen maybes so anyone who is a maybe I would like to get a pretty accurate head count by this time next week, this will also give me an idea of how many itinerary's I will need to print up. Thanks again everyone, we are 3 and a half weeks out!  :bigass:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cl94

Quote from: jpi on March 27, 2018, 04:06:42 PM
I just got in touch with Hoss's we have one of the banquet rooms reserved, I told them around 2 dozen people based on currently 15 attending and 2 dozen maybes so anyone who is a maybe I would like to get a pretty accurate head count by this time next week, this will also give me an idea of how many itinerary's I will need to print up. Thanks again everyone, we are 3 and a half weeks out!  :bigass:

Meets are always better when we get a room to ourselves, IMO. People aren't as aware about how crazy we are.  :spin:
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on March 27, 2018, 04:26:56 PM

Meets are always better when we get a room to ourselves, IMO. People aren't as aware about how crazy we are.  :spin:
Things weren't too too crazy at the DE service plaza.

Bitmapped

I'd been hoping to attend as it's been a while since I've been a meet and I haven't been to that part of PA in about two years, but I ended up with some family plans in another part of PA on that day.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: cl94 on March 27, 2018, 04:26:56 PM

The house party was an one time affair.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

My attendance is in question now. I had planned to use a sick day on April 19 to have an eye exam in Morehead, then head out from there. I couldn't get an appointment on that day, as the optometrist was booked up. And I had to burn an annual leave day yesterday because of car issues.

PHLBOS

Due to a local commitment that just happens to fall on the same Saturday morning as the meet; I will not be able to attend.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hbelkins

It looks like I've got things worked out and will be able to attend. I'm probably going to have to get a room Friday night in Danville, though. I'm not sure why so many motels in the area are either booked up or have wildly inflated prices. I'd think the Shamokin Dam/Lewisburg area would be too far from State College to be impacted by Penn State's spring football game.

Will stay in the Weston/Buckhannon/Elkins area on Thursday night, then drive to Hancock on Friday morning and finish off US 522 in the Keystone State (I need between I-70 and US 22). Once done, I'll figure out what I can explore before I get to my room for Friday night.

I expect to stay somewhere down around Carlisle or Chambersburg Saturday night, then I'm going to finish US 522 in Virginia on Sunday and then make my way west toward (probably) Beckley. I got my optometrist appointment for 3 p.m. Monday in Morehead, so I can use a sick day, but I'll need to get as close to Morehead as I can so I don't have to leave before daylight Monday to get to the 'Head in time for my appointment.

Sounds like there's going to be a big crowd for this one.

jpi

We are getting closer and closer to the 2nd big road meet of the year, so far the weather outlook is looking pretty good compared to the unexpected winter blast we had 2 years ago at my last PA meet.

I will be busy working on itineraries this weekend and all set to get a rental mini van to help with car pooling. Also a big favor for those who are "maybe" can we change to going or not going so this way I can get a good head count for Hoss's, thanks guys and looking forward to seeing everyone next Saturday :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

froggie

It's way too early to be making a call about the "weather outlook".  A lot can happen in even 3 days, let alone 9...

jpi

Quote from: froggie on April 12, 2018, 10:15:38 PM
It's way too early to be making a call about the "weather outlook".  A lot can happen in even 3 days, let alone 9...
You are right, especially this time of the year in north central PA, I will be watching closely
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

^^^

Seriously. It's 80 and sunny here today. Supposed to snow on Monday.

vdeane

Heck, it was forecasted to be 60 here tomorrow just yesterday morning.  12 hours later, and the forecast changed to have a high in the 40s tomorrow morning with the temperature plummeting all day.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jpi

Six days left to go!! Here is a copy of the itinerary\ tour route-

CENTRAL SUSQUEHANNA VALLEY ROAD MEET ITINERARY 4/21/18

Depart from Susquehanna Valley Mall, go south on 11/15 to PA 35 exit, turn around and go back north to where we can access the stub end of the by-pass
From by-pass stub, take US 522 south to Airport rd., turn right on to Airport Rd, Airport Rd becomes App Rd, follow App Rd, App Rd then turns into Fisher Rd at Park Rd, continue on Fisher Rd to Park Rd, turn right onto Park Rd, follow Park Rd to Grangers Rd, turn right on to Grangers Rd, this will take us back to US 15 in the area of construction.

Follow US 15 north to County Line Rd, turn right on to County Line Rd and we will stop there and view construction, from there we will continue north on US 15 about a mile, turn right on to Seven Kitchens Rd and follow this to Reits AVE then turn right on to Riveredge Lane, follow Riveredge Ln to River Edge RV camp, this will take us to a good viewing area of the Susquehanna River bridge construction, we may be able to get pretty close to the construction, this is also an area I am considering for a group pic.

From there will head back to US 15 south and proceed to County Line Rd, turn left on to County Line Rd and we will follow this roughly 3 miles to Shikellamy State Park Rd, we will turn left and follow this road into Shikellamy State Park to the overlook and take in the view of Northumberland and surrounding country side along with construction of the expressway in the distance, there is restroom facilities here too and this is another place I am considering a group photo.
From here we will head back to County Line Rd, turn left and this will take us to US 11, turn left on to US 11 north and will follow this into Northumberland, from here we will turn left on to PA 147 North and follow PA 147 north to Ridge Rd, turn right on to Ridge Rd and this will take us to where interchange construction is for the expressway.

From here will continue north on PA 147 to PA 405 north to PA 45 west, we will turn left on to PA 45 west and go across the river into Lewisburg where there is an old bridge we will check out.

If time permits we will head north on US 15 from Lewisburg to a scenic overlook along US 15 that will provide views of Williamsport and surrounding area, then head into downtown Williamsport, from there we will head back towards Shamokin Dam by way of I-180.  A dinner option suggested by Alpert is McGuigan's Public House, address is 266 Market St Sunbury, PA 17801, (570) 286-5002

I hope this all makes sense, we will be starting off traveling the "future right of way" of the southern section that runs behind the mall and some of the shopping areas along 11/15, when we get to the intersection of US 15 and County Line Rd this will mark the beginning of northern section construction that is in full swing,. As always I am open to any and all suggestions, I still have 4 days left to make any modifications but come Friday Steph and I will be on the road travelling from middle TN to Harrisburg, PA. Looking forward to seeing everyone one, we are at just about 2 dozen confirmed going  :bigass:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

I had been looking forward to this meet, but I'm regrettably going to have to miss it. My dad's oldest sister died yesterday, and the funeral is Saturday in Elizabethtown.

jpi

Quote from: hbelkins on April 16, 2018, 01:00:41 PM
I had been looking forward to this meet, but I'm regrettably going to have to miss it. My dad's oldest sister died yesterday, and the funeral is Saturday in Elizabethtown.
Sorry to hear this, prayers to you and your family  :-(
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

briantroutman

I'm not sure if you're relying on a Facebook headcount for RSVPs, but barring any unexpected last-minute complications, I'll be there.

jpi

Quote from: briantroutman on April 16, 2018, 09:04:09 PM
I'm not sure if you're relying on a Facebook headcount for RSVPs, but barring any unexpected last-minute complications, I'll be there.
I am counting on both Facebook and here, the restaurant called me yesterday to firm things up and yes we will have one of the banquet rooms so we will be away from the rest of their guests, weather is starting to look good, high of 60 and partly sunny so it will be fall like for the region and I will be picking up the rental mini van on Thursday and will be firming things up with that, any more updates I will let you all know :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.