News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I'm very stressed out about signal related stuff

Started by traffic light guy, January 04, 2018, 03:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: davewiecking on February 22, 2018, 12:13:36 AM
I've taken traffic direction from any number of people without looking at their faces-I suppose mostly leaving major sporting events. If someone's got a whistle, or an orange-tipped flashlight, or a reflective vest, I wouldn't stop to analyze whether the individual was a legislator or not. However, due to his mistreatment at the hands of the North Vietnamese, the heroic and Distinguished Senior Senator from Arizona does have an affliction that would make him rather ill-suited to this task: his inability to raise his arms above his shoulders.

It's a pretty well-documented matter of social engineering that if someone dresses and acts the way someone is expected to, most people will not question them. If John McCain did direct traffic at an Arizona Diamondbacks game, chances are he wouldn't be called on it–most people would just rationalize it as someone who just looked a lot like John McCain.

In any case, he could probably still hold one of those STOP/SLOW paddles.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 21, 2018, 10:44:08 PM
Quote from: traffic light guy on February 21, 2018, 03:00:17 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on February 21, 2018, 12:44:50 PM
So, are we suggesting the forum host user photos?

Yes, since they're requested, and It's gonna be eons before I get a chance to be in Lower Merion again, by the time that time rolls around, all the goodies will be replaced by McCains

I hate it when that happens.

Oh, that's great for a first laugh of the day!

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 22, 2018, 07:23:56 AM
Quote from: davewiecking on February 22, 2018, 12:13:36 AM
I've taken traffic direction from any number of people without looking at their faces-I suppose mostly leaving major sporting events. If someone's got a whistle, or an orange-tipped flashlight, or a reflective vest, I wouldn't stop to analyze whether the individual was a legislator or not. However, due to his mistreatment at the hands of the North Vietnamese, the heroic and Distinguished Senior Senator from Arizona does have an affliction that would make him rather ill-suited to this task: his inability to raise his arms above his shoulders.

It's a pretty well-documented matter of social engineering that if someone dresses and acts the way someone is expected to, most people will not question them. If John McCain did direct traffic at an Arizona Diamondbacks game, chances are he wouldn't be called on it–most people would just rationalize it as someone who just looked a lot like John McCain.

In any case, he could probably still hold one of those STOP/SLOW paddles.

Doing a volunteer event in Philly, some of our volunteers were told not to act as crossing guards, stopping motorists to let our walkers cross, even at a stop sign when the walkers had the right of way.  The cops told us traffic won't obey them - a guy in an orange vest doesn't stand a chance! lol

That said - yeah, if a guy in the road looks legit, acts legit, and there's a clear legit reason why they're directing traffic, I'm not going to question what they're doing.

traffic light guy

For those of you who live in the Philadelphia area

Please capture pictures of obsolete traffic signal equipment in SE-PA before they get replaced, I can't go to specific intersections, since I'm a bit too young and I have to follow rules and regulations.

I request the following intersections:

Bristol Oxford Valley Road/Bath Road in Bristol Township (In danger of being replaced)
Mill Creek Road/Edgley Road in Bristol Township (In danger of being replaced)
Coshohonken State Road/Rock Hill Road in Lower Merion Township
East Levering Road/Belmont Avenue in Lower Merion Township

All of these intersections have old 12" Flatback doghouses, and I need pictures before they get replaced, they're the last known sets in the state that have Vietnam War era 12" Flatback doghouses. Please, I have a difficult enough time getting these pictures as it is. Full clear shots of the full intersection, (Doghouses must be included), I will give credit to whoever sends these, and I will add the images to my Flickr, as I have consent from the photographer. Shots of every signal head found in these intersections would be nice too.

Hurry, PennDOT loves to be slick. Trust me, I look at pictures from other signal geeks, and I turn green with envy. Especially Ian and macsignals, who also live within the Philadelphia area. Ian captured all the old signals in Chester before they were fish-bait, he has art decos for God's sake. And Macsignals has pictures of the awesome sets of 70s era 12" Flatback doghouses in Bristol.

traffic light guy

I just want pictures of the Lower Merion doghouses before they get replaced, is that sooooo much to ask for?

hotdogPi

Quote from: traffic light guy on February 22, 2018, 10:12:34 PM
I just want pictures of the Lower Merion doghouses before they get replaced, is that sooooo much to ask for?

Again, SEPTA should get pretty close to them, and then you can walk the remaining distance. Is there any reason why that doesn't work?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

jeffandnicole

Chill man.  If there's someone in the area I'm sure they can help.  You can't beg people though.

traffic light guy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 23, 2018, 06:08:05 AM

Chill man.  If there's someone in the area I'm sure they can help.  You can't beg people though.

I aplogize, I'll chill

traffic light guy

My folks might think its a waste of time, going that far just to see a stoplight

21stCenturyRoad

Quote from: traffic light guy on February 23, 2018, 06:32:30 AM

My folks might think its a waste of time, going that far just to see a stoplight
Just tell them how important this is to you. I'm pretty confident that they will take you. Don't assume that they will say no, ASK THEM.
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

jeffandnicole

There's people on this board that have travelled hundreds of miles to see something.  Or hundreds of miles just to clinch a road, a state, or a county.  That part ain't unusual!!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 23, 2018, 08:02:28 AM

There's people on this board that have travelled hundreds of miles to see something.  Or hundreds of miles just to clinch a road, a state, or a county.  That part ain't unusual!!

You don't have friends that have a car?  Give them some gas money and offer to buy them lunch if you do then your problem is solved. 

traffic light guy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 23, 2018, 08:37:09 AM

You don't have friends that have a car?  Give them some gas money and offer to buy them lunch if you do then your problem is solved.

None of them have cars

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: traffic light guy on February 23, 2018, 08:48:10 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 23, 2018, 08:37:09 AM

None of them have cars

I guess unless you're on foot or convince your parents you're SOL then. 

freebrickproductions

I'd personally just save up enough money to get the proper SEPTA tickets and go out there anyways. Shouldn't take more than a few hours, right?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jemacedo9

The two signals in Lower Merion are within a 2 mile walk from the Manayunk station on SEPTA Regional Rail...so depending on how far you live from a station near you, you could take a train into Center City and then transfer to the Norristown line - that could easily be done on a weekend day.  That is by using the Cynwyd Regional Rail-Trail, which is the high concrete arch bridge that towers over Manayunk, and the Schuylkill Expwy and River, which I want to walk on just for the views...

traffic light guy

Does anyone know if the 12" Flatback doghouses in Bristol are still up, according to an E-Mail from PennDOT, they were installed a few months after the ones in Lower Merion, and I also need to take pictures of those.  I'm searching the entire state on google maps, no luck, all I found were bland McCain installs.

traffic light guy

Never mind about the Bristol doghouses, they were taken off the warrant list for some reason, and as of September they're still up

freebrickproductions

Also, don't worry about the Lower Merion signals. From what I understand that town reuses as much equipment as possible so they'll likely still be there when you get back down there next time.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

traffic light guy

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 24, 2018, 09:45:30 PM
Also, don't worry about the Lower Merion signals. From what I understand that town reuses as much equipment as possible so they'll likely still be there when you get back down there next time.

How do you know that, you're eons away from PA

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: traffic light guy on February 24, 2018, 11:00:03 PM

What's your assumption that they'll be gone?  The way you're acting it's like you think that all these local DOTs are just waiting yank all those signals just to spite you.

traffic light guy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 24, 2018, 11:26:40 PM

What's your assumption that they'll be gone?  The way you're acting it's like you think that all these local DOTs are just waiting yank all those signals just to spite you.

PA is very quick and sneaky, in the past decade 90% of the oldies from the 60s/70s/80s are gone

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: traffic light guy on February 24, 2018, 11:28:57 PM

PA is very quick and sneaky, in the past decade 90% of the oldies from the 60s/70s/80s are gone

I sincerely doubt all the traffic signals you want to see are going to be gone by the time you find some means of transportation.  More so, if you don't get to see what you're after then so what?  If you miss out you miss out, almost all of on here have missed out on something we wanted to see but you don't see this level of pining.  What's the point of constantly complaining, especially when people on here have you given you suggestions on how to go see things.  As far as I can tell you haven't done the bare minimum and even asked your parents. 

jeffandnicole

Modernizing equipment isn't being sneaky; it's keeping up with regular maintenance.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 24, 2018, 11:45:10 PM

Modernizing equipment isn't being sneaky; it's keeping up with regular maintenance.

Not modernizing things is how you end up with things like a swath of 30 plus year old faded BGS signs still displaying crumbling button copy....like most the freeway and expressways in California.  It might look cool but it isn't as efficient nor well designed as the newer technology. 

freebrickproductions

I've talked with other signal collectors in your area who've been in that area a lot.

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.