News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2018 Winter Olympics

Started by Buck87, February 05, 2018, 02:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

The 23rd Winter Olympic Games begin this week in Pyeongchang, South Korea. The Opening ceremony is Friday, with a few events beginning on Thursday.

Here a couple useful links for following the Olympics:
Wikipedia Olympic Calendar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Winter_Olympics#Calendar
NBC TV coverage listings: http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings

jeffandnicole

If it ain't curling, I don't care.

hbelkins

Unless some ice skater gets clubbed in the knee, I'm not interested.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Buck87

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 05, 2018, 02:46:21 PM
If it ain't curling, I don't care.

On that topic, there's a new curling event making its Olympic debut this year called Mixed Doubles. I've never seen that before and am looking forward to it.

Also, John Shuster is once again the skip of the US Men's team. Here's hoping he can do a hell of a lot better than his last 2 Olympic appearances. It's never good when your name becomes a verb.

CNGL-Leudimin

If they aren't in Pyeongyang, I don't care. :bigass:
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Hurricane Rex

If it isn't skiing, I don't care.  :bigass:

If they aren't in the US, I don't care (summer is different).
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

SignGeek101

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on February 05, 2018, 04:11:11 PM

Huh? You're probably going to have to wait quite a while for the Winter Olympics to be hosted by the US (2026 at least). Why does it matter which country hosts it anyway? I agree that the "quality" (for lack of a better term) of the past Olympics have varied a bit partially due to the management, but really the only thing that should matter are the sports...

I'll be watching (at least a bit) of the 2018 Olympics. The time difference though will likely make it difficult for me to watch events live.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Buck87 on February 05, 2018, 02:58:11 PM
Also, John Shuster is once again the skip of the US Men's team. Here's hoping he can do a hell of a lot better than his last 2 Olympic appearances. It's never good when your name becomes a verb.

Meaning to designate an Interstate through legislation instead of the way it's supposed to be done?  :bigass:
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

MisterSG1

Quote from: 1 on February 05, 2018, 05:24:12 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on February 05, 2018, 02:58:11 PM

Meaning to designate an Interstate through legislation instead of the way it's supposed to be done?  :bigass:

You know, Newfoundland's only Olympic gold medalists (to my knowledge) have a short freeway (which isn't finished) named after them. They were a curling team.

Very bad signage I know, but that's Newfoundland for you.

jakeroot

Wasn't planning on watching, but I will be watching the slalom. That Mikaela Shiffrin :-o -- saw a doco on her last week. Almost had a heart attack.

tdindy88

Quote from: SignGeek101 on February 05, 2018, 04:45:52 PM

Huh? You're probably going to have to wait quite a while for the Winter Olympics to be hosted by the US (2026 at least). Why does it matter which country hosts it anyway? I agree that the "quality" (for lack of a better term) of the past Olympics have varied a bit partially due to the management, but really the only thing that should matter are the sports...

I'll be watching (at least a bit) of the 2018 Olympics. The time difference though will likely make it difficult for me to watch events live.

It will be longer than 2026, with the U.S. hosting the 2028 Summer Olympics there's no way we will be hosting the Winter games for a while, I doubt they'll have the same country host the Olympics in the span of two years. Canada on the other hand....

Speaking of hosts, I thought this might be good for the geographic oddities thread but I'll mention it here. North Korea borders the countries that have/will have hosted the 2014, 2018 and 2022 Winter Olympics.

Bruce

Quote from: tdindy88 on February 05, 2018, 08:30:32 PM

It will be longer than 2026, with the U.S. hosting the 2028 Summer Olympics there's no way we will be hosting the Winter games for a while, I doubt they'll have the same country host the Olympics in the span of two years. Canada on the other hand....

Speaking of hosts, I thought this might be good for the geographic oddities thread but I'll mention it here. North Korea borders the countries that have/will have hosted the 2014, 2018 and 2022 Winter Olympics.

Technically North Korea shares a maritime border with Japan, so you can add 2020 in there.

And more on the host: the South Korean government actually build a brand new high-speed railway from Seoul to the Olympic venues, which are fairly high in the mountains, and all the way across to the seaside town where the infrastructure for the Games is being staged. It's impressive: only 2 hours from Incheon Airport (on the west coast of the country) to Gangeung (on the east coast), a distance of nearly 100 miles. Trains travel at a top speed of 155 mph (not the fastest, but still damn fast), and there will be 51 daily trains that travel between Seoul and the venues.

Brandon

The better olympics, IMHO.  The winter ones are fun, but the summer ones are a major yawner.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ET21

Snowboarding, hockey, and the slalom!
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

7/8

Quote from: Brandon on February 05, 2018, 09:25:07 PM
The better olympics, IMHO.  The winter ones are fun, but the summer ones are a major yawner.

+1, the Winter Olympics are great!

Apparently curling starts a day before Opening Cermonies. Current score is Norway 7 - Canada 6

Hurricane Rex

You realize I'm trying to joke, I love anything with skiing or anything downhill on the snow/track.

Running till I die.

jakeroot

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on February 08, 2018, 12:39:04 AM

You realize I'm trying to joke, I love anything with skiing or anything downhill on the snow/track.

It's hard to tell if someone is being serious or not without vocal inflection (ie hearing someone say the phrase in person). Sarcasm is best avoided!

SignGeek101

Quote from: jakeroot on February 08, 2018, 01:15:00 AM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on February 08, 2018, 12:39:04 AM

It's hard to tell if someone is being serious or not without vocal inflection (ie hearing someone say the phrase in person). Sarcasm is best avoided!

Either that, or at least post an emoticon or something. Goes for anything being posted online.

Bruce

NBC is awful. Absolutely awful.

They butchered every Korean pronunciation (even the host city's name, Pyeongchang), got several key facts wrong, and ruined emotional moments (like the performance of Arirang) with boring commentary. They should take cues from BBC and show, not tell.

CNGL-Leudimin

I'm trying to find where the country of "Olympic Athletes from Russia" is. I know where Chinese Taipei is (since I decided to adopt that as the shorthand name for the Republic of China), but OAR...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

tdindy88

Quote from: Bruce on February 09, 2018, 10:46:45 PM
NBC is awful. Absolutely awful.

They butchered every Korean pronunciation (even the host city's name, Pyeongchang), got several key facts wrong, and ruined emotional moments (like the performance of Arirang) with boring commentary. They should take cues from BBC and show, not tell.

Thankfully NBC now allows for you to watch the live feed for the ceremony. If you can put up with being up at an early hour it was actually nice to watch the "natural sounds" feed of the ceremony. No commercials and no commentary, it was like a breath of fresh cold air.

7/8

Wow, I just finished watching Slopestyle. Redmond Gerrard (USA) comes from the back to steal 1st place from Mark McNorris (CAN) on his third run. Mark looked set to take 1st place back but ended up falling on the last jump (tragic!). Max Perrot (CAN) switched up his second jump and finally made a good run to reach 2nd. Man, my heart was beating the entire time!

I can't complain with two Canadians on the podium, but it hurts a little to know that gold was within reach. It was a great game though, and congrats to the US on their deserved gold.

Buck87

Nice to see that American kid win gold, and I heard them say he was originally from Ohio. He's now the youngest snowboarder to win gold and also the first Olympic gold medalist born in the year 2000.

VS988

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Buck87 on February 10, 2018, 11:10:54 PM
Nice to see that American kid win gold, and I heard them say he was originally from Ohio. He's now the youngest snowboarder to win gold and also the first Olympic gold medalist born in the year 2000.

VS988

Does anyone know where I can find a video of the podium for that?

Is anyone else partially Dissapointed with this year's coverage amount?

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.