News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2019 meets

Started by cjk374, March 23, 2018, 06:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 01, 2018, 05:41:24 PM
I may throw in the European roadmeet I proposed as an April fools' prank. Still not sure.

Why only an April Fools' prank? We've already (sort of) had an actual European road meet in Reykjavik. It's not totally out of the question that some people could be convinced to fly over there for another one if it were in a sufficiently interesting location.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

PHLBOS

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 23, 2018, 07:58:22 PM
I'd be interested in a Philadelphia road meet. I probably won't host (a 14 year old kid?), but I have a few ideas.

-I-95/PA Turnpike Interchange construction
Weekday meet already in place for this month (per Briantroutman)

-PA 90 remnants (I-95 interchange, ramp stubs, etc.)
Currently under (re)construction, the old ramp stubs are already connected.

-Abandoned PA 291 in Philly Int'l Airport
In addition to the Cell Phone Lot (that project was one of my firm's projects) that Jeffandnicole mentioned; there are still some abandoned stretches of PA 291 still present.  Heck, some old shield signage along the abandoned roadways is still present.

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 23, 2018, 07:58:22 PMPostmeet dinner: Philadelphia's a large city, there are tons of choices.
While true, parking will be an issue for any eatery close to or in the Center City part of Philly.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: kevinb1994 on September 05, 2018, 03:24:54 PM
I am planning a Jacksonville road meet for January, but if necessary I can move it to January 2020.
Just move it to February, 2019.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Beltway

Quote from: oscar on July 19, 2018, 09:23:35 PM
Quote from: Desert Man on July 19, 2018, 09:14:17 PM
Thanx (what a no brainer), but I need plenty of people interested in going there or I won't have a crowd to host.
We just had a three-person meet. Something to be said for starting with a small event, and moving up as you gain experience.

We had small road meets before they were publicized online.  You were at one IIRC about 1999 at the WWB Project office, along with myself and Doug Willinger and Mark Bentley, and I think someone else.  Another one I recall Doug and Mark and I checking out the unbuilt route of I-95 in D.C., probably about 2000.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

First meet I went to was a three-person meet. It was publicized on MTR. That was back when no one knew what anyone looked like, and you had to guess who was there for the meet.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: Alps on April 05, 2018, 09:58:54 AM
Apparently Route 17/32 construction at the Thruway interchange will be complete fall 2019, so that seems like an ideal place to visit for a spring meet. It features construction of a DDI. Could this be a Tuxedo II??
That and route 3/46 are the two major items in my area. Not that close but not that far from each other. I've gotta see if I can piece that together. Stay tuned.

kevinb1994

I would like to see a Findlay/Toledo road meet happen. I-75 in Downtown Toledo and the Disalle Bridge is a new project according to OHDOT District 2.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on September 29, 2018, 02:06:33 PM
First meet I went to was a three-person meet. It was publicized on MTR. That was back when no one knew what anyone looked like, and you had to guess who was there for the meet.

If I recall correctly, you introduced yourself at the StL meet I met you at.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: kevinb1994 on October 03, 2018, 07:03:16 PM
I would still like to see a Toledo road meet happen. I-75 in Downtown Toledo and the Disalle Bridge is a new project according to OHDOT District 2. Otherwise I wouldn't mind a Cleveland/Cuyahoga bridge tour meet. Still, any road meet in Ohio would be nice, even if most people want one to be held in Portsmouth, which would require me and a family member to fly to and from Tri-State Airport (HTS) near Huntington, with a transfer at Charlotte-Douglas (CLT). Not to mention a road meet in Cincinnati, which would require me and a family member to fly in and out of Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVT) from JAX.

I have attended three road meets over the years that have included Toledo somehow: the 2007 Toledo meet, the 2009 Fort-to-Port meet that was basically a run from Fort Wayne to Toledo along U.S. 24, and the 2014 Toledo U.S. 24 meet that didn't really cover much of Toledo but covered areas southwest of Toledo along U.S. 24.

Having said all of that, I would not be opposed to another Toledo meet if someone were to host one. It's only three hours away from where I live, and it would give me an opportunity to explore downtown Toledo again. It's just that someone would have to initiate it.

As far as other Ohio meets are concerned, we had Cincinnati in 2013 which was a really fun meet. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to another Cincinnati meet because I like that area (if the timing is right for me), but I had another opportunity to explore that in 2016. Cincinnati wouldn't be my first choice for an Ohio meet because there are other parts of Ohio that I'd like to explore, but I'd consider attending one there.

Other meets that have taken place in Ohio over the past several years that I've attended were Canton/Akron (2010), Columbus (2011), and Dayton (2012). Not to mention, obviously, the Mentor/Ashtabula meet that took place a couple weeks ago. I did not attend any Ohio meets between 2015 and 2017, although the only one I know of that happened during that time frame was another Columbus meet in '17.

Now Zanesville... that would be another location for meet I'd be very interested in if someone is able to host one there.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on October 10, 2018, 05:49:37 PM

Could be. I can't remember, and that was ages ago.

How long has it been since everyone went around the table introducing themselves? That was common for a long while.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on October 11, 2018, 06:33:13 PM
Quote from: US71 on October 10, 2018, 05:49:37 PM

Could be. I can't remember, and that was ages ago.

How long has it been since everyone went around the table introducing themselves? That was common for a long while.

I met you in 2008. Seems like we spoke in the parking lot before going on, but I've slept since then so my memory is somewhat hazy
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

baugh17

The first meet I ever held/attended was in Elmira where I was living at the time back in 2001.  The idea came about because the other two attendees, David Greenberger and Kevin Olmstead, were unable to attend the more widely publicized Utica meet which took place two weeks later.

A.J. Bertin

That's really a good idea. I've attended probably more than 40 road meets since 2004 and I'm not sure if I've ever attended a meet where this was done (maybe?). I love the idea. The host would be the one to ensure that this happens.

H.B. - the first time I met you was at the 2007 Toledo meet.

The first meet I ever attended was in April 2004 in the Grand Rapids MI area. It was only lunch (at a Max & Erma's - less than two miles away from my apartment), and there were probably about eight or ten of us at the table. Almost everyone brought maps and I, of course, knew no one. We had a good discussion but there was no tour or anything. It's funny to think about where I was at that time of my life and how the road meets (and friendships) have evolved over the years since then. I had only been living in the Grand Rapids area for 8 months at that point.
-A.J. from Michigan

cl94

I don't think I've ever done that at a meet, but most have a round of introductions before entering the restaurant if there's a person people don't know. By this point, most of us know everyone or almost everyone who will be at a meet.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kphoger

Quote from: Duke87 on September 01, 2018, 07:04:34 PM
I may throw in the European roadmeet I proposed as an April fools' prank. Still not sure.

Why only an April Fools' prank? We've already (sort of) had an actual European road meet in Reykjavik. It's not totally out of the question that some people could be convinced to fly over there for another one if it were in a sufficiently interesting location.

Besides, how many users do we have on here from Europe or the UK?  More than just one, I'm certain.

english si has no excuse for not attending.  There have been stateside users who've driven more than 1000 miles to attend a meet.   :sombrero:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cl94

Quote from: kphoger on October 12, 2018, 04:03:04 PM

Besides, how many users do we have on here from Europe or the UK?  More than just one, I'm certain.

english si has no excuse for not attending.  There have been stateside users who've driven more than 1000 miles to attend a meet.   :sombrero:

Please, there are people who have traveled over 2,500 miles to attend a "regular meet". If you count the Alaska trip 3 people made this year, the CLOSEST person had to travel over 2,600 miles.

Most of the semi-frequent meet attendees have traveled 1,000+ miles at least once to attend a meet, myself included (3 times). I generally do 1 of those a year.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kphoger

Quote from: cl94 on October 12, 2018, 04:06:54 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 12, 2018, 04:03:04 PM

Please, there are people who have traveled over 2,500 miles to attend a "regular meet". If you count the Alaska trip 3 people made this year, the CLOSEST person had to travel over 2,600 miles.

Most of the semi-frequent meet attendees have traveled 1,000+ miles at least once to attend a meet, myself included (3 times). I generally do 1 of those a year.

I've attended one meet, and I drove 10 miles to get there.  Pretty pathetic, huh?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Ummm, Last month.
I thought we did a 'round the table' at Mentor-Ashtabula. Maybe I'm hallucinating (since A.J. didn't mention this)
I know(!) we did a 'round the table' when we reconvened at the PATP office for I-95 'Golden Spike.'
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Highway63

I warned this would happen, and now it has: I need to know if the Albuquerque meet will happen, and the date, by the end of this month. I realize that "need" may only be able to be interpreted as "would very much like" but if I try to book 10 days in July and it turns out I needed a different 10-day block in July, I would not be able to come. Last I knew it was tentative for July 20 (third Saturday).

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 12, 2018, 09:56:43 PM
I thought we did a 'round the table' at Mentor-Ashtabula. Maybe I'm hallucinating (since A.J. didn't mention this)

If this was done at the Mentor-Ashtabula meet, it was only done at your end of the table.

Like I say, I love the idea. Having everyone go around the table and identify themselves (name, where from, and maybe how many road meets attended or something like that) would be fun to do. It removes a bit of the awkwardness that comes when folks don't know each other very well.
-A.J. from Michigan

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: kphoger on October 12, 2018, 04:03:04 PMBesides, how many users do we have on here from Europe or the UK?  More than just one, I'm certain.

Or Chris (ChrisZwolle at SkyscraperCity, where I'm also in). He has been three times to my area.

Anyway, planning a potential route I'd make sure we would pass through this :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Truvelo

I've been to North America some 50 times since 2004 and there was a meet in Ohio several years go when I was in the same state but it was on a weekend when I was committed to attending another event. I would really like to attend a meet but it would have to be mid-week to avoid any conflicts with my travel plans.
Speed limits limit life

Alps

Quote from: Truvelo on October 14, 2018, 05:05:00 PM
I've been to North America some 50 times since 2004 and there was a meet in Ohio several years go when I was in the same state but it was on a weekend when I was committed to attending another event. I would really like to attend a meet but it would have to be mid-week to avoid any conflicts with my travel plans.
Your other events seem pretty cool and I bet there would be some crossover fandom, but I leave that to you. Anyway there is precedent for a midweek meet - if you have something cool planned, people will show!

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Alps on October 14, 2018, 05:22:24 PM
Quote from: Truvelo on October 14, 2018, 05:05:00 PM
Your other events seem pretty cool and I bet there would be some crossover fandom, but I leave that to you. Anyway there is precedent for a midweek meet - if you have something cool planned, people will show!

Truthfully, a midweek meet would make more sense for a lot of reasons:
-cheaper lodging
-no weekend crowds

Cons include rush hour traffic, but an experienced host would probably be able to work around that.

Also, since many people turn road meets into an event, very few people would probably be impacted by having to be back to work in short order anyway.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.