abefroman329

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

abefroman329

kendancy66

Quote from: Big John on May 15, 2018, 06:13:37 PM
Quote from: US71 on May 15, 2018, 06:04:05 PM
Quote from: Jardine on May 15, 2018, 03:22:31 PM
Not sure if strictly spin off relted or 'occurred in same universe' kinda thing, but Petticoat Junction, Beverley Hillbilly's and Green Acres share DNA.

Sorry if already noted above, I looked but might have missed a post somewhere.

There was some crossover. If memory serves, Petticoat Junction was sort of the "base" and branched into Green Acres or Beverly Hillbillies.  but no 3-way crossover nor GA/BH crossover.
Does the fact that PJ and GA were set in Hooterville mean anything?
I am pretty sure that Beverly Hillbillies started before Petticoat Junction.  But all the characters on BH appeared on PJ and Green Acres.  I think the purpose was to get popular show BH viewers to watch PJ and GA. They were also trying to get love interest between Ellie May and Eb

SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

US71

Quote from: kendancy66 on May 18, 2018, 04:25:12 PM
Not sure if strictly spin off relted or 'occurred in same universe' kinda thing, but Petticoat Junction, Beverley Hillbilly's and Green Acres share DNA.

There was some crossover. If memory serves, Petticoat Junction was sort of the "base" and branched into Green Acres or Beverly Hillbillies.  but no 3-way crossover nor GA/BH crossover.
I am pretty sure that Beverly Hillbillies started before Petticoat Junction.  But all the characters on BH appeared on PJ and Green Acres.  I think the purpose was to get popular show BH viewers to watch PJ and GA. They were also trying to get love interest between Ellie May and Eb

BH was September 62.  PJ was September 63.

roadman65

SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

A similar thing happened with Diffrent Strokes.  Another show with McClean Stevenson called Hello Larry was failing in the ratings so they crossed both shows to hope to get Diffrent Strokes viewers to watch Hello Larry.

Speaking of Diffrent Strokes, they also used an episode to launch a spin off that never happened as well.  One episode was about a night school teacher teaching adult students to receive their GEDs dealing with social issues of her students who were mostly immigrants with low income.  I do not know how or why they chose that type of plot for a planned TV show, but it was never picked up as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Quote from: roadman65 on May 18, 2018, 10:09:15 PM
A similar thing happened with Diffrent Strokes.  Another show with McClean Stevenson called Hello Larry was failing in the ratings so they crossed both shows to hope to get Diffrent Strokes viewers to watch Hello Larry.

McClean will always be Henry Blake

abefroman329

SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

Speaking of Diffrent Strokes, they also used an episode to launch a spin off that never happened as well.  One episode was about a night school teacher teaching adult students to receive their GEDs dealing with social issues of her students who were mostly immigrants with low income.  I do not know how or why they chose that type of plot for a planned TV show, but it was never picked up as well.

And I think The Facts of Life (a Diff'rent Strokes spin-off) had two or three backdoor pilots during its run.

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on May 19, 2018, 08:57:57 AM

McClean will always be Henry Blake

Amen! :cheers:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

wanderer2575

The Make Room for Daddy (original name of The Danny Thomas Show) episode "Danny Meets Andy Griffith" essentially was the pilot episode of The Andy Griffith Show.  Andy played the role of Sheriff Andy Taylor, who arrested Danny for running a stop sign while driving through Mayberry.  Ron Howard appeared as Opie Taylor.  Francis Bavier also appeared, but not as Aunt Bee.

US71

Quote from: wanderer2575 on May 20, 2018, 12:19:40 PM
The Make Room for Daddy (original name of The Danny Thomas Show) episode "Danny Meets Andy Griffith" essentially was the pilot episode of The Andy Griffith Show.  Andy played the role of Sheriff Andy Taylor, who arrested Danny for running a stop sign while driving through Mayberry.  Ron Howard appeared as Opie Taylor.  Francis Bavier also appeared, but not as Aunt Bee.

and Mayberry RFD was a spin-off of Andy Griffith

jdb1234

abefroman329

abefroman329

texaskdog

Bea was on BH before appearing on PJ with a different character.  Far more crossover between PJ & GA than BH with either but there was some.

roadman65

Quote from: US71 on May 20, 2018, 12:37:49 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on May 20, 2018, 12:19:40 PM

and Mayberry RFD was a spin-off of Andy Griffith
Andy Griffith lasted eight seasons while Mayberry RFD lasted three.  Hardly failed pilots from Make Room For Daddy.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Remember Mama's Family? It spun off a skit on Carol Burnett.

Didn't Bewitched have plans for a Tabitha spin-off?

Big John

abefroman329

Quote from: US71 on May 21, 2018, 11:30:43 PM
Remember Mama's Family?

Unfortunately, yes, I remember Mama's Family.  I think Bubba was supposed to get a spinoff.

US71

briantroutman

Wasn't Tabitha playing a bit fast and loose with her age–portraying her as about 20-25 in 1977 she should have been about 10?

kkt

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 26, 2018, 09:34:26 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 25, 2018, 08:56:31 PMThen Star Trek TOS tried to spin off a James Bond type of sci fi show with Robert Lansing as Agent Gary Seven and Terri Gar as his female secretary in one second season episode.
FTFY.  The episode was titled Assignment Earth; it was the final episode of the second season.

And he wasn't all that much like James Bond:  Bond worked for one of the contemporary nations of earth with only ordinary humans' powers, while Seven worked for aliens with vast technical powers beyond even Starfleet.  Bond was a womanizing, hard-drinking, gambling misogynist, but we never saw those characteristics in Gary Seven.

Some interesting coincidences with that episode.  Spock was listening to Earth radio transmissions while the Enterprise orbited.  He reported several key points that might have been involved in timeline damage in 1968:  a political assassination, a mishap to a rocket launch, a coup in an Asian country.  Six days after the episode aired, Martin Luther King as assassinated and the unmanned Apollo 6 mission suffered damage to the 2nd and 3rd stages due to excessive vibration, preventing the planned test of putting a service module in translunar orbit.  A couple of months later there was a coup in Iraq that brought Saddam Hussein to power.

US71

Quote from: briantroutman on May 22, 2018, 05:40:41 PM
Wasn't Tabitha playing a bit fast and loose with her age–portraying her as about 20-25 in 1977 she should have been about 10?

Magic ;)

texaskdog

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.