WA 599

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 08, 2018, 12:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

I'm up in Washington this week, that being the case I'm trying to squeeze in as much road related activity as I can.  Started out the day with clinching WA 599, I have photos up but will work up some sort of historical blog post later in the week.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmkcF2vV

Max Rockatansky

I'm starting to get around to updating the blog series starting with 599:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/05/washington-state-route-599.html

Does anyone have any highway map scans of the Seattle area from 1956 up to 1972?  They would be incredibly helpful in terms of pinning down accurate dates and would help with the rest of the stuff I have coming up.

ErmineNotyours

The 1970 Washington State Highway map shows the freeway section of SR99 listed as 99-T.  All other maps show US or SR99 moved to this freeway portion as soon as it opened.  Even my detailed Gousha maps don't show the next freeway segment labeled as SR599.
99T by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

hotdogPi

Welcome to the forum!
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on May 13, 2018, 08:44:48 AM
The 1970 Washington State Highway map shows the freeway section of SR99 listed as 99-T.  All other maps show US or SR99 moved to this freeway portion as soon as it opened.  Even my detailed Gousha maps don't show the next freeway segment labeled as SR599.
99T by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

Nice, by chance do you happen to have maps for 1967-69 of downtown Seattle?   It would be really handing in terms of finding out when US 99 was routed onto the Alaskan Way Viaduct over US 99A. 

ErmineNotyours

I have several of 1962 showing the First Avenue Bridge to Pacific Highway section under construction, and one from 1963 showing just the southern half of that section under construction, but not much of the late 60s.

ErmineNotyours

I do have a Goucha map with the code QQ (1969) and it doesn't show any designation of US99 on surface streets.  It's on my map of pre I-5 downtown Seattle that it shows 99 on surface streets even though the Viaduct also exists.

thefraze_1020

Yes! I have maps of Seattle from almost every year from the mid-1930's on. Say the year, the location, and I can hopefully get you the info you need.
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thefraze_1020 on May 31, 2018, 10:18:09 AM
Yes! I have maps of Seattle from almost every year from the mid-1930's on. Say the year, the location, and I can hopefully get you the info you need.

Specific to 509 I'd be interesting in finding out when the alignment along the coast south on 16th Avenue would have been decommissioned.  It would seem to be a fairly recent change in the last couple decades.

Speaking of Seattle, you might be able to help provide some insight onto designations on the Alaskan Way Viaduct that we were discussing recently.  I'll send you a PM when I get a chance.

thefraze_1020

OK, so SR 509 (and SSH 1V before it) headed south into downtown Des Moines. At the split between Marine View Drive and the Kent-Des Moines Road, originally (at least after the 1964 renumbering), SR 516 began heading east on the Kent-Des Moines Road. SR 509 turned right to head south on Marine View Drive, across the bridge over Saltwater State Park. Originally this segment was added to the state highway system in 1937. Anyway, originally, 509 curved left at Woodmont Drive. Then it took a right at 16th Ave S, and joined SR 99 where 16th Ave S meets Pacific Hwy/ SR 99.

This changed in 1992. The segment of SR 509 from junction 516, on Marine View Drive, Woodmont, and 16th was removed from state maintenance effective April 1, 1992. Now, officially 509 is concurrent with 516 from the corner of Marine View Drive and Kent-Des Moines Road to junction SR 99 at Midway. Then 509 (on paper) turns south and is concurrent with 99 until it splits off at Dash Point Road. However, as you pointed out, signage to this effect is almost completely non-existent, leading one to believe there is simply a gap in SR 509. But, as I was through the area recently, I saw an older (likely early 90's) sign on northbound Marine View Drive (ex-509), just before the light at Kent-Des Moines Road that says 509 north to the left, 509 south to the right, and begin 516 east to the right. I took a picture of this sign, but I have yet to upload it to Flickr.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thefraze_1020 on May 31, 2018, 11:44:16 AM
OK, so SR 509 (and SSH 1V before it) headed south into downtown Des Moines. At the split between Marine View Drive and the Kent-Des Moines Road, originally (at least after the 1964 renumbering), SR 516 began heading east on the Kent-Des Moines Road. SR 509 turned right to head south on Marine View Drive, across the bridge over Saltwater State Park. Originally this segment was added to the state highway system in 1937. Anyway, originally, 509 curved left at Woodmont Drive. Then it took a right at 16th Ave S, and joined SR 99 where 16th Ave S meets Pacific Hwy/ SR 99.

This changed in 1992. The segment of SR 509 from junction 516, on Marine View Drive, Woodmont, and 16th was removed from state maintenance effective April 1, 1992. Now, officially 509 is concurrent with 516 from the corner of Marine View Drive and Kent-Des Moines Road to junction SR 99 at Midway. Then 509 (on paper) turns south and is concurrent with 99 until it splits off at Dash Point Road. However, as you pointed out, signage to this effect is almost completely non-existent, leading one to believe there is simply a gap in SR 509. But, as I was through the area recently, I saw an older (likely early 90's) sign on northbound Marine View Drive (ex-509), just before the light at Kent-Des Moines Road that says 509 north to the left, 509 south to the right, and begin 516 east to the right. I took a picture of this sign, but I have yet to upload it to Flickr.

Went back and updated the 509 blog with the information you provided.  If you happen to have some spare time a map for 1991 and 1992 to show the alignment difference would be really handy.

thefraze_1020

The map scans you are looking for are now posted in the SR 509 thread.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.