News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Road/Street Terminology Exclusive To A Single City/Metropolitan Area.

Started by thenetwork, May 11, 2018, 05:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

The Highway 101/80 split referring to James Lick Freeway and Central Freeway interchange in San Francisco.

The Maze in Oakland referring to Highways 80/580/880 in Oakland near Bay Bridge Toll Plaza.

SSR_317

Quote from: bing101 on June 22, 2018, 03:29:48 PM
The Highway 101/80 split referring to James Lick Freeway and Central Freeway interchange in San Francisco.

The Maze in Oakland referring to Highways 80/580/880 in Oakland near Bay Bridge Toll Plaza.

"Split" is used many other places. For example, here in Indy we have the "North Split" and "South Split", between I-70 & I-65 in the central core of the city.

As for the "McArthur Maze" in Oakland, it sure has gotten a LOT more complicated than back in 1938 when it first opened. Better lives up to it's name these days, though I'm sure for the time it did seem like one to motorists of that era.

kkt

Is there someplace else that highways 101 and 80 meet?

hotdogPi

Quote from: kkt on June 22, 2018, 06:19:39 PM

From a database I have, SC 80 and SC 101 in Greer, and KY 80 and KY 101 in unincorporated Warren County.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kkt

Quote from: 1 on June 22, 2018, 06:40:08 PM

From a database I have, SC 80 and SC 101 in Greer, and KY 80 and KY 101 in unincorporated Warren County.

:clap: :-D

Is SC 80-SC 101 called The Split?

1995hoo

Here in the DC area, it's been the norm for as long as I can remember to refer to the Beltway's two carriageways as the Inner Loop (clockwise–the side that's closer to the District, hence "inside"  the circle) and the Outer Loop (anticlockwise and the "outside"  part of the circle). If there were a second beltway constructed, it'd be called the Outer Beltway. I believe the Inner Loop/Outer Loop terminology originated with radio traffic reporters.

When I lived in the Raleigh—Durham area during law school, I found they do precisely the opposite: "Outer Loop"  referred to what is now I-540 (and I guess NC-540), while they use "Inner Beltline"  and "Outer Beltline"  to refer to the two carriageways. That threw me a bit when I first heard it because I knew there was only one Beltline.

I have no idea which convention is used in other cities with beltways,* although it's probably fair to suggest that "the Beltway"  itself is identified with DC in ways that are somewhat unique.

*Edited to add: I'm not referring to using "INNER" and "OUTER" as a "direction" on BGSs here. I remember when that was introduced in Raleigh in the 1990s, but it doesn't really address "Inner/Outer Loop" versus "Inner/Outer [road name]."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bzakharin

The Baltimore Beltway (I-695) is intermittently signed as "Inner Loop" and "Outer Loop" with regular directional signs in other places.

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 23, 2018, 10:00:38 AM
Here in the DC area, it's been the norm for as long as I can remember to refer to the Beltway's two carriageways as the Inner Loop (clockwise–the side that's closer to the District, hence "inside"  the circle) and the Outer Loop (anticlockwise and the "outside"  part of the circle). If there were a second beltway constructed, it'd be called the Outer Beltway. I believe the Inner Loop/Outer Loop terminology originated with radio traffic reporters.

Not sure when it started.  When I lived "inside the Beltway" in the early 1970s the inner/outer loop terms were not in use yet.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

froggie

Quote from: bzakharin on June 23, 2018, 09:38:50 PM
The Baltimore Beltway (I-695) is intermittently signed as "Inner Loop" and "Outer Loop" with regular directional signs in other places.

As is the "Hampton Roads Beltway" along I-64 and I-664.....both practices were borrowed from the Capital Beltway.

Brandon

Quote from: 1 on June 22, 2018, 06:40:08 PM

Let's not forget the I-94/I-57 interchange here in Chicago as well.  For the morning rush, it's "The Merge".  In the afternoon, it's "The Split".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

6a

Quote from: bzakharin on June 21, 2018, 12:16:19 PM
How about the Cleveland area practice to almost never sign (or mention in conversations) road suffixes on blades or other road signs? Is this done anywhere else?

There are some Ohio counties that omit the suffix for roads that are "XYZ Road"  but will include the suffix otherwise. I've never figured out why this is the case, other than "it's a road, duh"  but it can make for nice looking blades.

cpzilliacus

The Transportation Corridor Agencies (TCA) Toll Roads of Orange County, California (parts of CA-73 and CA-133 plus all of CA-241 and CA-261) are formally known as corridors (though I have seen signs  that simply say Toll Road). 

I  have not heard of a completed road being called a corridor elsewhere.

This being Southern California, on KNX-1070 traffic reports, they are referred to as "the 73," "the  241" and so on, with no  mention of "toll" or "toll  road."
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on June 24, 2018, 08:50:11 AM
Quote from: bzakharin on June 23, 2018, 09:38:50 PM

As is the "Hampton Roads Beltway" along I-64 and I-664.....both practices were borrowed from the Capital Beltway.

And the road that snakes around Harrisburg, Pennsylvania is signed as the Capital Beltway too.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mrsman

Only in L.A. do you have "sigalerts", referring to a sudden unplanned lane closure usually due to accident or emergency construction (like sinkhole).  The word comes from the name of a traffic reporter who was named Sigmund (I believe) and has nothing to do with signals.

L.A. is also unique that they refer to the lanes of a freeway by number, the #1 lane being the left most lane (in any direction), the #2 lane the next lane to the right and so on.  It is a really good system to keep track of the multiple lanes, especially because many of the freeways tend to have 5 lanes or more.

(In places where there are only 2 or 3 lanes per direction, it's much more common to refer to the lanes as left, center, and right.)

Beltway

Quote from: mrsman on September 03, 2018, 10:04:16 PM
L.A. is also unique that they refer to the lanes of a freeway by number, the #1 lane being the left most lane (in any direction), the #2 lane the next lane to the right and so on.  It is a really good system to keep track of the multiple lanes, especially because many of the freeways tend to have 5 lanes or more.
(In places where there are only 2 or 3 lanes per direction, it's much more common to refer to the lanes as left, center, and right.)

Who refers to them by number ... the state DOT or local DOT?

Plenty of places around the country have freeways with 8 or 10 lanes or more.

My convention with 4 lanes is left inner, left outer, right inner, and right outer.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

TheHighwayMan3561

For me when it's 4 lanes it's left, left center, right center, right.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jon daly

Only in L.A. do you have "sigalerts", referring to a sudden unplanned lane closure usually due to accident or emergency construction (like sinkhole).  The word comes from the name of a traffic reporter who was named Sigmund (I believe) and has nothing to do with signals.

LA also refers to interstates as "The x." I was reminded of this as I was reading ROADS by Larry McMurtry and he did the same. Larry referred to "the 35" and "the 70." He's a Texan, but I wonder if he picked up that habit while he was in Hollywood when his books were adapted for the screen.

DeaconG

Quote from: Big John on May 12, 2018, 12:39:28 AM
^^ There is also a "Boulevard" in Atlanta.

If you mention that in Philly, people will assume you're talking about Roosevelt Boulevard.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

mrcmc888

Quote from: Brooks on May 11, 2018, 06:47:59 PM
In Memphis, the suffix "Cove" is used 99% of the time for a cul-de-sac.  I haven't heard of this occurring anywhere else.
It's also found in East Tennessee, although only in neighborhoods.

1995hoo

I know of one street in Northern Virginia with a "Cove"  suffix (Quiet Cove in Annandale, and it is indeed a cul-de-sac).

sandwalk

1995hoo

I-485 around Charlotte is sometimes called the "Outerbelt,"  though I don't ever recall I-277 being called the "Innerbelt."

abefroman329

Quote from: jon daly on September 04, 2018, 06:27:56 AM

LA also refers to interstates as "The x." I was reminded of this as I was reading ROADS by Larry McMurtry and he did the same. Larry referred to "the 35" and "the 70." He's a Texan, but I wonder if he picked up that habit while he was in Hollywood when his books were adapted for the screen.
Stephen King seems to call all expressways "turnpikes."

bzakharin

Aren't I-95 and I-495 known as inner and outer belts respectively in the Boston area?

hotdogPi

Quote from: bzakharin on September 06, 2018, 03:02:10 PM
Aren't I-95 and I-495 known as inner and outer belts respectively in the Boston area?

No. I-95 is called 128, and I-495 is just called 495.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.