News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

VMS installations in your state

Started by RobbieL2415, June 25, 2018, 07:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

CT sporadically used vane-display, front-lit VMS signs up until around 2003. After that they implemented a statewide network of yellow LED signs built by Daktronics. All of them are gantry-mounted except for on the Merritt/WC Parkways where they are ground-mounted.  There are some converted VMSs used on secondary SRs, like US 44 at Avon Mountain.

MA, as far as I know, had no permanent VMSs in the state until the Big Dig was finished. They used portable units, mainly for construction. Only recently have I seen permanent VMS and trip time signs pop up.

Pink Jazz

Arizona has installed VMS since the 1990s, starting with Fiber Display Systems SYLVIA fiber optic character matrix signs until 2007; many of these have been refurbished with SES America's LED retrofit kit.  From 2007 to 2012, ADOT installed Daktronics walk-in LED character matrix signs, with a few additional signs being installed in Tucson in 2014 due to a delayed project (the signs were already built, but undelivered).  2012 is when ADOT made the switch to full matrix signs with Skyline, installing a mix of walk-in and front-access signs in different sizes depending on roadway type.  Now in 2017 ADOT has switched back to Daktronics and is now installing color full matrix LED signs, and some of them in the rural areas are now using roadside or median pedestal installations instead of overhead.

roadman

MA had some permanent VMS panels in place prior to completion of the Big Dig, mostly on the I-95/I-93 ring between Reading and Braintree, a pair on the Southeast Expressway between Granite Ave and Neponset Circle, and a couple on I-290 in Worcester.  All of these panels, which are being updated under the current retrofit project with SES America, were fiber-optic flip-disc design and a combination of FDS Sylvia and Mark IV boards.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

SP Cook

All WV VMS signs are Daktronics.  I have been told that except for the Turnpike they are given to the state by insurance companies.  The "it is so many minutes to wherever" usage is unknown and unnecessary here. Mounting is generally gantry if the road is 6 lanes, ground otherwise, but there are some exceptions. 

I 70 has one, I 79 5, I 68 1, the northern half of 77 4, the western half of 64 12, the Turnpike 9, the small part of 77 south of the Turnpike 1, the eastern half of 64 3, and I 81 1.  US 340 has one, WV 9 1, US 35 2, US 119 (Corridor G) 2, US 19 (Corridor L) 1, and US 460 (Corridor Q) 1.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.