News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

CA 108 over Sonora Pass

Started by Max Rockatansky, August 03, 2018, 10:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Finished the last of my 2016 Trans-Sierra Highway albums on Surewhynotnow.com.  CA 108 has some of the best scenic views from a roadway, especially on the western descent from Sonora Pass:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/08/trans-sierra-highways-california-state_3.html

nexus73

Reading about the 7 mile tunnel proposition was interesting.  I wonder what the worst grade would have been for such a freeway?  Obviously your brakes held up for those steep grades or you would not be here to write about the trip...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on August 04, 2018, 12:43:00 PM
Reading about the 7 mile tunnel proposition was interesting.  I wonder what the worst grade would have been for such a freeway?  Obviously your brakes held up for those steep grades or you would not be here to write about the trip...LOL!

Rick

Actually it probably wouldn't have been too bad since it would be an almost direct cut below Sonora Pass to the Marine Bass.  Most of the really high grades on Sonora Pass are extremely abrupt on both ends.  An expressway grade is feasible all the way east presently to Dardanelle from Sonora.  That said I couldn't fathom Caltrans or the Division of Highways seriously considering a 7 Mile Tunnel on a route that has never been open through the winter.

Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky

I'm working on the fourth and final update of a pre-existing Gribblenation Trans-Sierra Highway articles.  In this particular case the final update pertains to California State Route 108 over Sonora Pass.  While I didn't get into update the highway photo log like I wanted to before the holiday weekend I did fully update the historic section.  Some significant finds pertaining to the expansion of CA 108 were located in California Highways & Public Works guides: 

-  A significant amount of history pertaining to the Sonora Immigrant Road and Sonora-Mono Wagon Road.
-  CA 108 was cited in a 1958 stub as being extended via a multiplex with CA 49 to Sonora Junction.
-  CA 108 was extended to Modesto in 1961.

Given the hugely expanded historic section I wanted to get the partially updated article out so those who are interested in the backstory of Sonora Pass can view it.  I might have the updated photo log uploaded the week after the holiday but it depends given there is a large number of items to add.  The existing article does feature the 1933 Dardanelle's Bridge (which burned in 2018) and the button copy Sonora Pass sign:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2018/08/trans-sierra-highways-california-state_3.html

Max Rockatansky

I made one final revision to the California State Route 108/Sonora Pass article.  The last update greatly expanded the history of transportation over Sonora Pass in addition to the history of CA 108.  This final revision includes a brand new photo log of the entire route of CA 108 from Sonora Junction west over Sonora Pass to Modesto.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2018/08/trans-sierra-highways-california-state_3.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.