News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Overused Interchanges

Started by theroadwayone, August 10, 2018, 05:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theroadwayone

Going off my post about underused interchanges, what are some overused interchanges and stretches of highway; for the reasons in my previous post, what are some places that get MORE traffic than what they were meant for?

jakeroot

Realistically, most interchanges in the top cities with worst traffic. Traffic is growing far faster than most agencies can keep up.

In Seattle, the worst interchanges are:

405/167/Rainier Ave (cloverleaf and too loopy (low speeds))
5/518/405 (left-side movements, loop for busiest movement)
167/18 (compounded by missing movements)
405/520 (too loopy)

Most other interchanges are over capacity, but not to the same degree.

TheStranger

The 101/80 split in San Francisco would have had some relief if the following projects had been built:

- the Southern Crossing between Cesar Chavez (Army) Street at 280 and today's 980/880 junction in Oakland
- the bayfront Route 87 extension from San Jose to Army/280
- 280 connecting to 80 directly (but specifically IF the Southern Crossing also existed)

Likewise, the MacArthur Maze as a choke point would have been bypassed by multiple routes (61, 13, could even argue 93 east of the Richmond Parkway) with 880 also getting some relief on its own had 238 south of 580 become a freeway.

Chris Sampang

abefroman329

Circle Interchange, probably even after the reconstruction is complete.

Building the Hypotenuse would help.

Rothman

I-93/I-95 cloverleaf north of Boston

I-95/I-87
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bing101

East L.A. Interchange is an overused interchange because the 710 gap is not completed.
Two the CA-134/CA-170 and US-101 interchange is also overused because CA-170 was supposed going to be extended as the La Cinega Freeway.

mgk920

I-94/US 52 on the east edge of downtown Saint Paul, MN.

Mike

jakeroot

Hurricane Rex

Any downtown Portland freeway to freeway interchange, especially US 26 to I-405. Also OR 217 and I-5

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: Rothman on August 10, 2018, 09:00:03 PM
I-95/I-87

What a weird way to say the Cross Bronx and the Deegan  :-P

freebrickproductions

Here in Alabama, the two I can think of off the top of my head are I-65 and I-20/I-59 in Birmingham and I-459 and US 280 in Birmingham.

I-565 and US 231/US 431 here in Huntsville might also qualify, as a few of the ramps tend to back up in the morning and afternoon rush hours, but I'm not sure.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jp the roadgeek

I-91 North Exit 29 in Hartford.  The de facto connection from I-91 North to I-84 East.  Traffic often clogs the right lane at least 1/2 mile in advance of the single lane ramp.

I-84 West to I-684 South in Brewster.  Oftentimes, traffic is backed up across the CT border.  Also a single lane interchange.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

plain

One "overused" ramp in particular is the ramp from I-64 EB to I-264 EB (Exit 284A) in Norfolk, used by motorists bound for Virginia Beach. This ramp causes significant backups on 64. What many motorists don't realize is the very next ramp (Exit 284B, signed only as "Newtown Rd") is also a ramp (actually the original one) from 64 EB to 264 EB.

https://goo.gl/maps/4eRGweUwFJH2
Newark born, Richmond bred

roadman65

I-135 N Bound to I-235 S Bound and K-96 W Bound in Wichita.  Traffic heading from the big city to points west and north-west of Wichita clog that particular one lane loop ramp.

Also most interchanges in Florida were not designed for what traffic uses them today.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on August 10, 2018, 10:50:20 PM
I-95/I-87

Especially when these two routes are never multiplexed together. I'm not even from the NYC area and call it the Cross Bronx and Major Deegan lol.

Rothman

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 11, 2018, 07:14:26 PM
I-95/I-87

Especially when these two routes are never multiplexed together. I'm not even from the NYC area and call it the Cross Bronx and Major Deegan lol.
Weirdoes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on August 11, 2018, 08:18:45 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on August 11, 2018, 07:14:26 PM
I-95/I-87

Weirdoes.
When I lived there, I just called them the BQE and LIE, never I-278 or I-495.

DeaconG

Quote from: roadman65 on August 11, 2018, 07:06:56 PM
I-135 N Bound to I-235 S Bound and K-96 W Bound in Wichita.  Traffic heading from the big city to points west and north-west of Wichita clog that particular one lane loop ramp.

Also most interchanges in Florida were not designed for what traffic uses them today.

No duh...I-10/I-295, I-95/FL 202 and I-10/I-95 in Jacksonville (and the second rebuild at Phillips doesn't help); I-4/FL 408 (which should be cleaned up with I-4 Ultimate), I-4/FL 528 and FL 528/US 17-92-441/Turnpike in Orlando come to mind.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

sparker

Just about any interchange in the San Jose area that hasn't been upgraded from its original form could be considered to be "overused"; the US 101/CA 237 interchange in Sunnyvale would certainly fit that description -- originally just a server between a freeway and a surface street, it's now part of a long commuter nightmare.  Actually -- at this point in time, just about any interchange on US 101 north of Salinas might qualify as "overused", particularly those in the Gilroy area:  both interchanges with CA 152, and the "worst of the worst", the SB diamond and NB folded diamond of the US 101/CA 25 interchange; growth of Hollister, about a dozen miles southeast, as a (relatively) affordable "Silicon Valley" exurb has increased traffic using that interchange almost geometrically; the backup SB starts about 3 p.m. and doesn't let up until well past 7 p.m.! 

Max Rockatansky

The interchange at I-10/AZ 51/AZ 202 was an absolute beast when I was living Phoenix for traffic.  All the ramps were way under capacity for how many vehicles there were, I can't imagine that situation has improved. 

Locally CA 180 on to CA 41 north is an absolute nightmare getting onto.  The back ups are very long for a small city despite having multiple lanes and traffic calming signals.  About the only thing I can think of that would help would extend two merge lanes up to at least Shaw or Ashland. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: theroadwayone on August 10, 2018, 05:24:59 PM
Going off my post about underused interchanges, what are some overused interchanges and stretches of highway; for the reasons in my previous post, what are some places that get MORE traffic than what they were meant for?

New Jersey.  There's not enough server space to list them all.

Brandon

I would consider anything where the traffic routinely backs up onto the freeway/tollway (especially outside the rush) to be overused.  There's a fair number around Chicagoland, but these are notable:

- The Circle (as mentioned before), especially the ramp from the inbound Ryan to the outbound Ike.
- Hillside Strangler, ramps from Nbd I-294 to Wbd I-290, Ebd I-290 to Sbd I-294, and Sbd I-294 to Wbd I-88,
- Weber Rd, I-55 Exit 263.  A shitton of trucks.
- Cicero Av, I-55 Exit 286.  Midway Airport traffic.
- Chicago St, I-80 Exit 132.  An even bigger shitton of trucks.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

froggie

"Which interchanges are overused" isn't really a good question....you could fill a multi-volume book with the answers.

The better question would be which major urban junctions are *NOT* overused.

webny99

Quote from: froggie on August 13, 2018, 09:52:33 AM
"Which interchanges are overused" isn't really a good question....you could fill a multi-volume book with the answers.
The better question would be which major urban junctions are *NOT* overused.

We already had an underused interchanges thread; this thread was the sequel to that one.

froggie

By that logic, you really didn't need two threads.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.