News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Road notes from a Hawaii trip

Started by daviddang1989, October 22, 2018, 12:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daviddang1989

I took a trip to Hawaii a few weeks ago, here's some road notes from the trip.

On the Big Island, Saddle Rd HI 200 is being widened between mileposts 11 and 5 near Hilo. This is now the fast route from Kona to Hilo.

On this day, Mauna Loa was in full view.

"Sharks teeth" markings seen near the start of the construction zone.

More construction on HI 200 near Hilo.

In the Kona area, HI 19 is being divided north to the airport.

HI 19 north of Kona.

The back road to Hana, Maui route 31, Piiliani Highway, now has smooth pavement to nearly milepost 32.  It has been progressing east over the years, the smooth pavement ended at milepost 19 in 1998, milepost 25 in 2005, milepost 27 in 2010, and milepost 29 in 2013. 

Hilly section near milepost 17.

Manawainui Valley bridge near milepost 25

Start of the smooth pavement around milepost 32.

Here's a video of the highway from milepost 14 in Ulupalakua to where the smooth pavement ends near milepost 32:

New to me was the Lahaina Bypass, HI 3000. Very little traffic on this road.

It has Maui's only interchange, if you don't count the old bridges on Main St in Wailuku.

Graded for a future divided highway.

There was construction work going on for the Oahu light rail project.

This was in the area near the H1/H2 interchange.  I also noticed work on this around Pearl Harbor.

No mention of I-H201 on eastbound I-H1, still shows as HI 78.

Most of the signage on H1 is in Clearview.

oscar

HI 200 was not only improved, but also relocated east of around mile 8, to a new alignment south of the original that directly connects to HI 2000 (there had previously been a gap between HI 2000 and the east end of HI 200). So HI 200/2000 is now a continuous, fully modernized cross-island route. A further westward extension from HI 190 to HI 19 is in the planning stages, but a planned fix for the awkward intersection of HI 2000 with Komohana St. is on indefinite hold (I think long enough that if it's restarted, the environmental review would need to be updated).

For county route 31 on Maui, is there any unpaved segment left around Kaupo?
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

froggie

I noticed a No Passing Zone sign in the HI 19 photo.  How common are those on the Big Island?

MikeSantNY78

Quote from: daviddang1989 on October 22, 2018, 12:12:32 AM

Here's a video of the highway from milepost 14 in Ulupalakua to where the smooth pavement ends near milepost 32:

So what happened to the video, eh?

MarkF

This is a copy of a post I made a couple of years ago.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18111.msg2150373#msg2150373

This guy just copied my post and re-submitted it. 

BTW the video links on my post work.

Scott5114

What a simple way to get banned with your first post! It's fast and convenient!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.