News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Parclo/SPUI hybrid

Started by tradephoric, October 26, 2018, 10:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tradephoric

The interchange of I-94 & Sheyenne Street is being constructed in West Fargo.  It's a mix between a Parclo and a SPUI.  Are there other examples of interchanges like this?

jeffandnicole

This is why design decisions shouldn't be made after last call is announced at the bar.

tradephoric

This is an interesting Parclo A4 interchange at I-95 & Okeechobee Rd in Florida.  It's designed with distributor lanes so that traffic entering the freeway along the arterial doesn't have to drive through any traffic signals.  Would a Parclo A4 SPUI interchange accomplish the same operational benefits as the current configuration?

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.4159481,-80.3883966,586m/data=!3m1!1e3

tradephoric

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 26, 2018, 11:07:33 PM
This is why design decisions shouldn't be made after last call is announced at the bar.

LOL the best decisions in life are made after last call (said nobody ever).

Roadsguy

Quote from: tradephoric on October 26, 2018, 11:15:08 PM
This is an interesting Parclo A4 interchange at I-95 & Okeechobee Rd in Florida.  It's designed with distributor lanes so that traffic entering the freeway along the arterial doesn't have to drive through any traffic signals.  Would a Parclo A4 SPUI interchange accomplish the same operational benefits as the current configuration?

Otherwise known as a six-ramp SPUPClo.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

jeffandnicole

What roadsguy drew was what I was thinking would be better.

The original design isn't bad...but it seems to needlessly add a signal phase on the local roadway.

kurumi

^ At first I thought, "no, that's wrong, that's not I-95 at Okeechobee Boulevard" but I was wrong -- after all, FL 70 != FL 704
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jakeroot

Quote from: tradephoric on October 26, 2018, 11:15:08 PM

https://i.imgur.com/OmEGEDO.jpg

I don't see anything wrong with the A4 with bypass lanes, assuming the pedestrian crossover points are well designed. Which they seem to be. If there were any pedestrian crossings over the main road, I think it would be better to keep the loop ramp access protected by the off-ramp signals.

As for the Spupclo, seems like you could easily modify any Parclo with enough central ROW into one, without having to modify the ramp design.

kalvado

The biggest point of SPUI, as far as I understand, is the ability to have two left turns running sisimultaneously.  Not really the case here, as there are no two separated left turns to being with. Moreover, if ramps converging at the point are spread further out, pattern wouldn't really change. So the only feature of SPUI I see here is wide expensive overpass....

froggie

Regarding the interchange in the OP, a few things to point out:

- The existing interchange is a 5-ramp parclo.  The extra loop is for WB 94 to SB Sheyenne St, but is not free-flow....it's tied into the WB ramp signal.

- Ramp traffic heavily favors movements to/from the east.  This, plus the presence of the Sheyenne River in the northeast quadrant and generally having adequate ROW already for the plan is why they went with the planned design instead of an A4.

- Currently, traffic on Sheyenne St has two traffic signals at the interchange.  The planned design has a single signal for southbound Sheyenne traffic only.  That signal will basically be a 3-phase signal.

tradephoric

Quote from: kalvado on October 27, 2018, 06:20:09 AM
The biggest point of SPUI, as far as I understand, is the ability to have two left turns running sisimultaneously.  Not really the case here, as there are no two separated left turns to being with. Moreover, if ramps converging at the point are spread further out, pattern wouldn't really change. So the only feature of SPUI I see here is wide expensive overpass....

Referencing the picture with the proposed red/yellow ramps... there are two left turns exiting the freeway that would run simultaneously.    The advantage of the single point Parclo is that left turning traffic exiting the freeway would not be conflicting with arterial traffic entering the freeway.  The existing I-95 & Okeechobee interchange does allow arterial traffic to enter the freeway without having to pass through any traffic signals, but that's only because the arterial was designed with distributor lanes (which is definitely not a typical Parclo A4 design).

tradephoric

If you have a single-point Parclo B4 interchange, the arterial traffic turning left onto the freeway would closely resemble a super-street design.  With a single-point Parclo B4 there is no longer the added benefit of contraflow left turn lanes along the arterial like seen in the SYNCHRO model below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZZOBPyHuCM

I do love the Parclo B4 interchange because it essentially turns the arterial into a super-street capable of perfect signal progression.  This is easy to visualize if you imagine a single-point Parclo B4.  The biggest disadvantage of a super-street is that side-street traffic can't continue straight through the intersection.  Of course this isn't a problem at an interchange since freeway traffic can be easily diverted so that all off-ramp traffic has a simple right hand turn onto the arterial. 

johndoe

Some more discussion and a video are available in this thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=19105

formulanone

Quote from: kurumi on October 27, 2018, 02:22:53 AM
^ At first I thought, "no, that's wrong, that's not I-95 at Okeechobee Boulevard" but I was wrong -- after all, FL 70 != FL 704

I think "Okeechobee Trafficway" is the only road moniker missing from southern Florida.  :)

sparker

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 26, 2018, 11:07:33 PM

That was pretty much my speculation a couple of years back regarding the selection of the I-87 designation in NC/VA (an open bar at the Des Moines SCOURN meeting that spring)!  :sombrero:

kphoger

Quote from: johndoe on October 27, 2018, 02:37:46 PM
Some more discussion and a video are available in this thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=19105

Mods:  I suggest a thread merge.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.