Newest System Interchange in Each State

Started by triplemultiplex, November 30, 2018, 02:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadwarriors79

For Arizona I would guess I-10/Loop 303. By late next year, it will be I-10/Loop 202 in west Phoenix.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Beltway

The 3 new urban interchanges on US-17 Dominion Blvd. in Chesapeake VA.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

cjk374

Louisiana: I-49 @ I 220 in Shreveport.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

froggie

Quote from: BeltwayThe 3 new urban interchanges on US-17 Dominion Blvd. in Chesapeake VA.

Those aren't system interchanges...not the way FHWA defines them or even the OP given what the OP said about "free flow".

Newest system interchange in Virginia isn't far away, though...the 264/164 interchange in Portsmouth.

US71

It won't be open for another month or so, but 8th Street at I-49 in Bentonville, AR.  Given the close proximity between 8th and 14th St (US 62E, AR 102 W) traffic will weave:

SB 49: 8th Street will exit UP the ramp from SB 49,  but 14th St will exit UNDER 8th Street.

14th St to NB 49 will pass under 8th St before merging onto I-49.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Mapmikey

Quote from: froggie on December 01, 2018, 09:05:58 AM
Quote from: BeltwayThe 3 new urban interchanges on US-17 Dominion Blvd. in Chesapeake VA.

Those aren't system interchanges...not the way FHWA defines them or even the OP given what the OP said about "free flow".

Newest system interchange in Virginia isn't far away, though...the 264/164 interchange in Portsmouth.

I-564 and the I-564 Connector?

froggie

^ Perhaps if they ever get Patriot's Crossing built.  Right now it's effectively a glorified exit ramp to the marine terminal and Gate 6.

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on December 01, 2018, 09:05:58 AM

The OP really wasn't clear enough, that is why I posted that.  This is the first time I have seen the concept of a "system interchange" and IMO the term is too generic for denoting the type freeway-to-freeway interchange.  People that know me know that I am picky about word usage in the English language!

Nevertheless, I now see that the concept of system interchange and service interchange has been defined in an FHWA publication --

"Transportation officials broadly classify interchanges based on their functionality.  A system interchange carries traffic from one freeway to another via a network of ramps and connectors.  A service interchange connects a freeway with local surface streets or arterials.  Diamond, cloverleaf, and partial cloverleaf interchanges are typical examples of service interchanges."

Designing Complex Interchanges
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/publicroads/09novdec/01.cfm

So what do you call an interchange between two non-freeway roads?  There are plenty of them in Hampton Roads and in Northern Virginia.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

froggie

^ By FHWA's definition, they'd be service interchanges.  Personally, I'd call some of them arterial interchanges (Northampton/Independence in Virginia Beach, for example), but I don't think FHWA further delineates beyond service or system.  Nor does the Green Book IIRC.

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on December 01, 2018, 12:59:51 PM
^ By FHWA's definition, they'd be service interchanges.  Personally, I'd call some of them arterial interchanges (Northampton/Independence in Virginia Beach, for example), but I don't think FHWA further delineates beyond service or system.  Nor does the Green Book IIRC.

I've call them arterial interchanges in the past, when the roads are all arterials or lessor.  Other examples are Baileys Crossroads, Seven Corners, etc.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on November 30, 2018, 08:28:00 PM
CT: Probably the end of I-291 in Manchester.  That was all done from scratch.  I believe I-84's Exit 61 was simply skipped during the Great Widening and Renumbering.

I would actually say the I-84/CT 72/CT 372 interchange in Plainville circa 2001-02.  The ramps to and from CT 72 West to CT 372 (Exit 2 on 72), plus the Crooked St ramp to I-84 and CT 72 EB.  Another one around that time was the completion of the Austin Rd interchange in Waterbury by adding a WB exit  and EB entrance ramp. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jeffandnicole

In NJ, since I didn't list a service interchange before, maybe the 295/195/29 interchange near Trenton, and that opened roughly in 1995.

SSR_317

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 30, 2018, 03:54:27 PM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 30, 2018, 03:07:25 PM
Indiana's will probably have to be along I-69 section 5, but it isn't really a "brand new"  road, so that could be false. If your talking new road, then it would probably have to be SR 641.

Section 5 of I-69 is not a new road, but the interchanges are new so those would be the newest ones.
Sorry folks, but there are no "system" interchanges in Section 5 of I-69 (SIU #3), and the only one in Section 6 (at I-465) will not be complete (under present schedule) until 2025 or 2026. The recent conversion of the Meridian Street (US 31 North) interchange at I-465's Exit 31 in Carmel does partially qualify as a system interchange for the 3 freeway legs, but not for the south leg (Meridian St). And the closest thing SR 641 has to a system interchange, at I-70 & US 40 & SR 46, is nowhere near being a free-flowing design. So the likely "winner" for most recent ("newest") system interchange ("freeway-to-freeway") in Indiana appears to be still open for debate.

One could argue that the US 31 freeway's junction at the north terminus of Keystone Parkway might be considered to be a 3-leg system interchange with service interchanges at 146th Street & 151st Street interlaced within. If so that might qualify it for being the "newest system interchange" in the Hoosier State.

Bickendan

Oregon's are all fairly old... I'd guess I-82 @ I-84/US 30

hbelkins

Does anyone want to place bets on when Breezewood supplants I-95/PA Turnpike as the newest one in the Keystone State?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on December 01, 2018, 09:08:38 PM
Does anyone want to place bets on when Breezewood supplants I-95/PA Turnpike as the newest one in the Keystone State?

It would cost a small fraction the cost of the I-95 ramps.  Estimate:  $40 million.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

DandyDan

In Iowa, the 100th St NW exit for I-35/80 opened in Urbandale in November.

As for Nebraska, I believe the newest interchange is US 75 and US 34 eastbound south of Bellevue. The newest one on the interstate highway system is the Kearney east interchange. in
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on November 30, 2018, 10:12:50 PM
Quote from: webny99 on November 30, 2018, 06:11:50 PM
I took this to mean freeway-to-freeway interchanges only. Not sure what the answer is for New York. Possibly I-290/I-990 for WNY.
The most recent ones I can think of off the top of my head are I-81/I-781 and I-87/I-84 (which was a PA-style Breezewood until under a decade ago).

Can't believe I forgot about I-781!

I don't think I ever knew that I-84/I-87 got an overhaul, or that it wasn't a full connection beforehand.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on December 01, 2018, 09:27:58 PM

It would cost a small fraction the cost of the I-95 ramps.  Estimate:  $40 million.

Is that official or just a guess?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 02, 2018, 08:37:40 PM

Breezewood would probably be at least a 9-figure fix, if not into the billions.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

J N Winkler

I have used the term system interchange multiple times on this forum, going back at least to 2013.  Others have used it, as well as the phrase system to system interchange, which also appears in the technical literature.

As for Kansas, I suspect the most recent is either I-135/K-96 in Wichita, built circa 1987, or K-7/K-10 in metro KC, built between 1986 and 1991.  Other freeways were built more recently, but these were either isolated segments (e.g. US 169 Spring Hill bypass) or plugged into the existing freeway network at locations that already existed as interchanges (e.g., US 75 south of Topeka).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Beltway

One ramp and one 45 mph loop would make the connection between I-70 and the Turnpike access highway.  That is a reasonable estimate.  The PTC and PennDOT have not produced any estimate so there is no official estimate.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on December 02, 2018, 09:54:46 PM

One ramp and one 45 mph loop would make the connection between I-70 and the Turnpike access highway.  That is a reasonable estimate.  The PTC and PennDOT have not produced any estimate so there is no official estimate.

If you have a ticket system, you need a trumpet interchange with 4 ramps on either end.  If you have an AET interchange, you still have 4 ramps, possibly high speed.

You also need access to Breezewood itself, so you have to work that interchange into the mix.

It's definitely a $100 - $300 million project.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.