News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Stop Sign at Hueneme/Wood Rd Needs To Be Removed

Started by RZF, January 14, 2019, 11:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RZF

What's up guys! I'm a newly-registered member of AA Roads. At 18 years old, I'm probably one of the youngest here. I live in Port Hueneme, CA (SoCal's Last Frontier, because it truly is). I've loved geography, maps, and roads my whole life, so I think I've found a spot to discuss it all.

That being said, if any of y'all frequent southern Ventura County's rural roads, you will notice that many of them are used by drivers from PH/South Oxnard/Camarillo because you can basically travel at freeway speed to get to your destination without having to go North (inland) to get to US-101. Hueneme Rd is one of those frequently traveled on, and there is a stop sign that, simply put, is not needed at the intersection at Wood Rd. At peak traffic times, as a 2-lane road, crawling to this stop sign adds at least 20 more minutes to your commute. Even without traffic, it does not make sense to stop for a road that is far less traveled (Wood Rd). Here's my solution:

Take out the stop signs for drivers on Hueneme Rd on both sides. OR:
Install a traffic light (but this costs a ton of money, so probably not that feasible)

I want to know your opinions on this...although the subject matter is about rural county roads that aren't numbered, I believe that this needs to be looked into.

jakeroot

Welcome! I think I joined at 18 myself. About the right age to join, IMO.

That intersection does seem pretty damn odd, being between two signals, on a curve, serving a road that certainly doesn't appear to be busy. From a layman's perspective, I would assume Las Posas Rd to be far more important, hence why it was signalized to begin with. Looks like the Wood Rd stop sign should be made into a two-way stop.

Off-topic: That Rice Road arterial on the otherside of Hwy 1 seems quite odd. What's its purpose? Quite the interchange with the freeway to the north for what appears to be, effectively, a dead end.

TheStranger

Quote from: jakeroot on January 15, 2019, 12:58:10 AM

Off-topic: That Rice Road arterial on the otherside of Hwy 1 seems quite odd. What's its purpose? Quite the interchange with the freeway to the north for what appears to be, effectively, a dead end.

Until this decade, I recall that Route 1 simply continued straight northwest onto Oxnard Boulevard (which retains freeway characteristics at Channel Islands Boulevard, but is no longer part of Route 1 past Rice).  The Rice Avenue realignment between US 101 and the Oxnard Boulevard/Rice Avenue junction had been planned since the 1970s, with the current interchange opening about 7 years ago.

However, signage for this realignment has been exceedingly poor along Rice and on US 101 - there's a whole thread dedicated to it actually:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=6208.0
Chris Sampang

skluth

I've never been there but I looked at the imagery and can think of a few reasons for the four-way stop.

• A number of accidents at the intersection because it's difficult to judge traffic speeds along a curve.
  • Done at the request of Point Mugu NAS. People going to/from the north end of Pt Mugu likely use Wood Road to access the base. You would be dealing with a number of transient residents unfamiliar with the area. Much of the base housing population likely uses Wood Road between the base and US 101.
  • There is an elementary school about 1/2 mile north of the intersection at Wood Road. There may be a lot of cross-traffic with both school buses and parents with children near the beginning and end of the school day. There may not be a lot of traffic normally, but it would be quite busy at those times.
  • Some local got a stick up his butt and had enough political influence to get the politicians to install it.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a combination of the first three reasons. A deadly accident with a school bus going from Pt Mugu to an elementary school would be tragic but unsurprising. I know some people hate roundabouts, but this might be a good place for one. There's certainly enough room.

RZF

Bumping this because a traffic light is finally getting installed, along with other various improvements along Hueneme/Lewis Rd. I've driven by the intersection many times recently and have notice that the lights are installed but not energized yet.

https://s29422.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Project-Study-Report.pdf

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.