Happy 10 year forum anniversary!

Started by hotdogPi, January 15, 2019, 10:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

odditude

i had heard of MTR but avoided Usenet like the plague. like 1995hoo, i knew about the aaroads site but didn't notice the forum until 2012 or 2013. i lurked for at least a year before playing with sammi's rsm tool gave me a reason to post for the first time.

having moderated boards elsewhere, i truly appreciate all the hard work the mods put in here!

nexus73

Today is my 8th anniversary here.  It seems like that kind of number would be a long time but what is longer is the McCullough Bridge project that saw the replacement and renovation of so much concrete.  That began in 2009 and wrapped up in 2018, only to see with the passage of time that the bridge now needs to be repainted!  This stage begins this year and is expected to last through 2021.  Wowsa, it only took three years to build the bridge back in the Thirties! 

Dog years are one thing.  Bridge project years are another...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

webny99

We could always bring back the stats page in celebration of the forum's 10th anniversary.
Just a thought.  :meh:

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on March 08, 2019, 12:36:46 PM
We could always bring back the stats page in celebration of the forum's 10th anniversary.

We should bring it back either for post #2500000 or thread #25000.

By the way, I suggest that thread #25000 be similar in content to #10000, with beautiful photos from a road trip. Don't just create a thread that says "I got it".
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alps

The fact that you still want it... nope.

webny99

Quote from: Alps on March 08, 2019, 04:35:25 PM

I still think a genuinely useful feature has been lost. Regardless of me personally wanting it back, I think it should be available for other users to view, too.

I just took two months off from the forum, and I could probably take two years off and my feelings on this subject wouldn't change.

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on March 08, 2019, 04:53:51 PM
Quote from: Alps on March 08, 2019, 04:35:25 PM

I still think a genuinely useful feature has been lost. Regardless of me personally wanting it back, I think it should be available for other users to view, too.

I just took two months off from the forum, and I could probably take two years off and my feelings on this subject wouldn't change.
and neither will ours!

webny99

Hey, I just posted to this thread!

Deleting legitimate concerns as if they do not exist, IMO, is incredibly high handed.
I won't poll the issue, but I think everyone would agree.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on March 08, 2019, 08:15:14 PM

Deleting legitimate concerns as if they do not exist, IMO, is incredibly high handed.

I saw it, but I thought you deleted it yourself. This is definitely an abuse of power.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alps

Quote from: 1 on March 08, 2019, 08:16:03 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 08, 2019, 08:15:14 PM

I saw it, but I thought you deleted it yourself. This is definitely an abuse of power.
I moved it aside and raised it to the admin staff for discussion.

index

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 15, 2019, 06:55:40 PM
I have been interested in roads as long as I can remember. I spent the first decade of my life completely isolated from any indication that there was an entire roadgeek community out there. It wasn't until 2009 or so when I actually truly knew about stuff like Google Maps and YouTube on the internet - on the latter site (YT), in the next few years, I would often watch road videos that were made my roadgeeks, and through that, I was introduced to the word roadgeek - but I still didn't truly know what it meant for some reason, so I didn't actually 100% catch on to the fact that there was a roadgeek community until a few years later (at this time I would have been 13 years old).

Similar story here - I've been more or less interested in roads my whole life, although the level of interest has waxed and waned at points (the I-95/VA 195 and I-95/VA 895 interchanges in Richmond always fascinated me as a little kid, I like to think that's what kicked it off) and really had no clue what this obsession of mine was until a few years ago.

All in all I'm glad to have found a forum where I can actually channel my interest in an atmosphere that is (mostly) civil and nice to one another. Even with the occasional, ungentlemanliness, it's miles better than most other internet forums I've been a part of. I have been discouraged to be here because of it sometimes, truth be told. All the chaos from 2018ish and late 2017 seems to have subsided, thankfully. And I think my posting has got better since.

Quote from: nexus73 on January 15, 2019, 06:29:48 PMFebruary 20, 2011 for me. Out of all the forums I have been on, which have covered many subjects. IMO this is the best one for quality of members and modding. The topic of highways alone is enough to interest me but the goodness here keeps me coming back and has done so for almost 8 years. Boy did that time fly by!Pleasant surprise: The teenage members here are incredible. A combination of intelligent and interested is hard to beat! I'll be dead in a few years most likely so knowing that the generational passing of the torch regarding roads will take place cheers me up. There are other generational differences in interests that will not survive the passage of time but this one will. Rick

I appreciate your optimism on posters of our age .  :sombrero: I'm not perfect but I like to think I'm not very bad either.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.