News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Do you have a hurricane evacuation plan?

Started by golden eagle, June 14, 2010, 12:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

I realize many of you don't live near a coastal area to worry about this, but for those of you who do, where do you plan on going if a storm threatens your area? Even though I live 150+ miles inland, Katrina still created a mess in central Mississippi, mostly in days-long (and in many cases, weeks-long) power outages. I'm on the disaster team at my job, so depending on where the storm goes, I may be evacuated to either Dallas or Atlanta. Otherwise, I may go to Memphis/northeast Arkansas, Kentucky or even Chicago.

xcellntbuy

When I went through Hurricane Wilma in Broward County on October 24, 2005, I was fortunate to live in a strong concrete and steel building with aluminum panels fastened to the exterior of all my windows.  I was fortunate to live near four major electrical transmission lines and had power restored in 60-1/4 hours.  I would not consider evacuating toward central or northern Florida.

allniter89

Not really a plan so much as an "idea"  :hmmm:
I've lived in the FL panhandle 30yrs, fortunately I missed many of the storms cuz I was out of town driving a 18 wheeler, my bosses thinking was keep us away from the storm area before the storm, so the truck doenst get caught in the storm damage then send us home asap afterwards to check/repair damage etc. Because I retired from the road this year I will now have to deal with the upcoming storms. I live at least 40 mi inland from the coast in a 10 yr old single wide with tie-downs, to be sure tie-downs arent going to hold thru all storms but since this unit has withstood 120+mph winds I feel safe here up to a strong cat 3 storm. If a cat 4 or above comes this way I plan on seeing if we're on the bad  side of the storm (NE quadrant) or not and then head no further inland than needed, motel, evac center. If you dont have property damage you have to deal with possibly weeeks and weeks without electricity, which is BRUTAL in 90degree/90%humidity days and low temp of 75degree nites! note to self, BUY A GENERATOR!!
I have plenty of extra....food, water, batteries, flashlites, candles, etc for the "event"  :-o
So my "plan" is, watch tropical storm development, check storm supplies and be ready to go. I'm not sitting in miles and miles of backed up evac traffic, as always I'm leaving EARLY and if nothing happens, eh I got a nite in a motel away from home. werks4me! :)
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

BigMattFromTexas

If a hurricane hits me in West Texas, I think I'll just wait for a few minutes then it'll be sunny. Thats Texas weather for ya...
BigMatt

Brandon

No, but if a hurricane hits NE Illinois, then we have bigger things to worry about.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

PAHighways

For being a state that does not directly border the Atlantic, Pennsylvanian gets everything but the storm surge from hurricanes.  Devastating flooding took place after Agnes came though in 1972 and as recently with Ivan in 2004 which came through the night before the last Harrisburg Road Enthusiast Meet.

Scott5114

Usually hurricane remnants will have diffused enough over Texas that by the time they get to Oklahoma they're on the order of standard thunderstorms "going backward".

Now, tornado plans, on the other hand, we have...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

BigMattFromTexas

^ Here when theres a hurricane in the Gulf we usually just get some thunderstorms, then the next day it's completely sunny. And we have tornado plans here too, my old teacher always kept telling us the tornado plan for my school, every time there was a bad thunderstorm here. But yeah we have tornado plans here too...
BigMatt

Ian

Even though real hurricanes are rare for PA, our family plans to head anywhere west if such event were to happen. However if a tornado occurs, we would just go down to our basement.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

brownpelican

Quote from: golden eagle on June 14, 2010, 12:23:17 AM
I realize many of you don't live near a coastal area to worry about this, but for those of you who do, where do you plan on going if a storm threatens your area? Even though I live 150+ miles inland, Katrina still created a mess in central Mississippi, mostly in days-long (and in many cases, weeks-long) power outages.

Don't remind me. I went a month and a half with no power after Katrina...making me appreciate cold showers.

Unless a Cat. 5 is on the way, I plan on staying put because I am way up here on the Northshore.

hm insulators

On rare occasions, the remnants of Pacific tropical systems will cross into Arizona or the California deserts.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

BigMattFromTexas

^^^ Here in West Texas we don't have basements in the rock hard ground, so we just go to our hallway, cause it has no windows.
BigMatt

golden eagle

Quote from: hm insulators on June 17, 2010, 02:00:25 PM
On rare occasions, the remnants of Pacific tropical systems will cross into Arizona or the California deserts.

I remember the remnants of one storm that came close to southern California. It really didn't do anything but it caused this one particular day to be very muggy, something I didn't think happened in southern California.

agentsteel53

in August, 2007, there was a thunderstorm in Orange County (hardly ever happens!) as the remnants of Hurricane Dean managed to survive the trek across Mexico.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

My hurricane plan is to stock up on beer and then cook up all the meat in the freezer. I'm far enough inland that storm surge isn't a concern, so unless a 5 is aiming directly at my house, I think I'll just stay put.

algorerhythms

My hurricane plan is to bring an umbrella.

My tornado plan is to stay at work and try to keep the machines from failing in horrible ways when the power goes out (I work in the basement, so I'm probably safe from the tornado itself...)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.