News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on March 21, 2018, 01:22:48 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on March 11, 2018, 07:30:18 PM
This is, to my knowledge, the last button-copy sign in Utah:

It’s on southbound US-89 right before the Beck Street interchange north of Salt Lake City.

Wasn't there a button copy sign still hanging on near the I-80?
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7143002,-111.785947,3a,75y,230.65h,106.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFFxQxssOpXg0-PkYCDZpCQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There was. Those were replaced last summer, along with all the other old signage and gantries in that area.

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 19, 2018, 11:19:31 AM
Quote from: J N Winkler on March 19, 2018, 10:19:34 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 19, 2018, 05:41:26 AMExcellent photography, but the signs are pretty standard for California. The digits on the 395 are compressed a bit, and that End plate is about half as tall as it should be (both qualifying for the Design Errors thread).

I have driven a large chunk of the southern part of US 395 in California and I don't think I have seen an independent-mount US 395 shield that didn't have compressed Series D digits.

Pretty much all the cut-out US Route shields in California have that compressed numeral look. 

Fair enough, I guess. I'm more sensitive to compressed digits than most because, well, Oklahoma.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Mergingtraffic

Original NY Thruway shield
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Rothman

Quote from: formulanone on March 21, 2018, 08:45:08 AM
Still standing in Chicago, as of last week:

Where is this, exactly?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Rothman on March 27, 2018, 11:48:05 PM
Where is this, exactly?

With a little help from the sign in the background (Stony Island Ave) and some perseverance, I found it here.

Rothman

Thanks.  I might be headed to Chicago this summer.  Hope it is still there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

Quote from: Rothman on March 28, 2018, 08:09:37 AM
Thanks.  I might be headed to Chicago this summer.  Hope it is still there.

I parked at the McDonald's across the street from the sign. Hey, for $5, it's the cheapest parking in the city, and it came with a warm McGriddle and hot coffee.

If I had the time, I'd see some of the museums, but I had a flight at Midway to catch.

Ian

I came across this 1960's era LeHay font ME 203 shield the other day. I measures only 16x12" and is made of steel, and is the only one I know of in this style still remaining out in the field. It's at the south end of 203 in Waldo, Maine.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Tom958

Not in Athens, GA, but in Opelika, AL, about ten miles from the edge of Auburn University's campus. This is at US 431, a.k.a. Bulldog Parkway, and former US 29. The Dawgs are those of Opelika High School, not UGA.

formulanone

Though the shields aren't anything special, old slatted guide signs are slowly disappearing in Alabama:

I-20/59 East/North: Exit 124AB I-65 North/South by formulanone, on Flickr

This one's probably getting scrapped after replacement for the massive I-20/59 and I-65 construction and re-signage project. Would love to at least have the left-side panel in my garage!

Tom958

Quote from: formulanone on April 08, 2018, 10:45:52 AMThis one's probably getting scrapped after replacement for the massive I-20/59 and I-65 construction and re-signage project.

Actually, it's been gone for over a year, as I happened to have posted today.

formulanone

Quote from: Tom958 on April 08, 2018, 11:00:37 PM
Quote from: formulanone on April 08, 2018, 10:45:52 AMThis one's probably getting scrapped after replacement for the massive I-20/59 and I-65 construction and re-signage project.

Actually, it's been gone for over a year, as I happened to have posted today.

Oh, I just wan't sure if it wasn't going to wind up in a museum, bar, or something in between.

KEVIN_224

About the old slatted BGS signs from Alabama ^^^

Were those designed as such due to wind loading? There used to be "slatted" overhead signs on I-95 South in Portsmouth, NH. They were just after Exit 7 (Woodbury Avenue), a couple minutes after you had come off the Piscataqua River Bridge from Kittery, Maine.

ThatRandomOshawott

I saw some slatted signs in Mobile last year. Also last year, I saw an old button-copy sign on US Route 60 in Southeast MO. It was one of those Gas/Lodging/etc. signs, though it no longer had any businesses on it.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 09, 2018, 06:33:41 PM

Were those designed as such due to wind loading? There used to be "slatted" overhead signs on I-95 South in Portsmouth, NH. They were just after Exit 7 (Woodbury Avenue), a couple minutes after you had come off the Piscataqua River Bridge from Kittery, Maine.
From what I understand, yes.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

PHLBOS

Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 11, 2018, 02:14:59 AM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 09, 2018, 06:33:41 PM

From what I understand, yes.
I remember those slotted BGS' along I-95 as well. 
I-495 in DE has a couple of those slatted overhead BGS' just south of the Christiana River crossing.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

adventurernumber1

I absolutely love those slatted BGS'ses.  :nod:  :hyper:  :thumbsup:

I believe I have most often seen them on Google Maps Street-View in the Mobile, Alabama area.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

freebrickproductions

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on April 11, 2018, 05:16:40 PM

I believe I have most often seen them on Google Maps Street-View in the Mobile, Alabama area.

Same here! There's a few in Huntsville, but I remember a good number in Birmingham as well. Montgomery has some as well.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

adventurernumber1

Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 11, 2018, 11:45:20 PM

Same here! There's a few in Huntsville, but I remember a good number in Birmingham as well. Montgomery has some as well.

I remember seeing some in Birmingham on GMSV many times before. And actually, I spent a good 10 to 20 minutes hunting one down in that area to add to my earlier post (the one which you quoted), but for some reason this time it was to no avail (I think I just spent too much time in too small of an area and on too small a number of roads when looking). My most vivid memory of seeing these things there was on a highway in downtown Birmingham, but I just can't remember the exact details of where and what it was (besides being a slatted BGS on a highway in downtown Birmingham).
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

freebrickproductions

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on April 12, 2018, 01:19:55 AM

I remember seeing some in Birmingham on GMSV many times before. And actually, I spent a good 10 to 20 minutes hunting one down in that area to add to my earlier post (the one which you quoted), but for some reason this time it was to no avail (I think I just spent too much time in too small of an area and on too small a number of roads when looking). My most vivid memory of seeing these things there was on a highway in downtown Birmingham, but I just can't remember the exact details of where and what it was (besides being a slatted BGS on a highway in downtown Birmingham).

There were a number of 20/59 in downtown Birmingham prior to the bridge reconstruction project.

(They/Them)

Mapmikey

Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 12, 2018, 03:13:17 AM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on April 12, 2018, 01:19:55 AM

There were a number of 20/59 in downtown Birmingham prior to the bridge reconstruction project.

When I drove 20-59 through Birmingham in January, there were about a dozen or so still up at interchanges for US 78, I-65, and US 31-280.  A few in each direction.

formulanone

Quite sure this is FHWA Series A, unless it's a faded/peeling application. Somewhere in Mississippi, last week:

Scott5114

Yeah, that's Series A. Great find!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 26, 2018, 12:46:40 AM
Yeah, that's Series A. Great find!

Indeed! I have never seen Series A in the flesh before. I thought all previous examples were removed (and that NZTA was the only agency world-wide still using the glyphs).

Rothman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.