News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Wow! Both conference championship games go to OT, with the 2nd seeds beating both 1st seeds.

I was disappointed the Saints got robbed lost, even though both my Panthers and the Falcons officially celebrated the Rams victory over their division rival. The Saints are a fun team to lose to (something the Panthers have too much experience with), especially with backup QB Taysom Hill keeping things interesting with his trick plays.

Now I'll get to go to my third straight Super Bowl party where most everybody will be rooting against the Patriots except me.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

tdindy88

Why do we even bother having an AFC playoff?

I'm sorry the Saints got screwed on that call by the refs but we need another New England Super Bowl the way we need another I-238 or more Clearview.

MantyMadTown

I agree. I have a bunch of shit to say about the Patriots but I don't even think I can care at this point. They don't need another Super Bowl, but here they are. It was the same thing last year, and the year before. I'm just hoping Tom Brady retires after winning the big one. Or if they lose, he'll retire anyway. He's played for long enough already.

I'm pretty upset about the refs giving the Rams the game too. That was a pretty bad play call. Unfortunately I don't have an eye for bad play calls when I see them, but I heard about what happened after the game. That was just stupid. Honestly I think the Saints should've won it, but this is the NFL, we can't have clean games anymore. Officiating has gotten so bad lately, something drastic needs to be done or else the NFL will lose more fans. I can see this bringing people to the XFL in 2020.

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 20, 2019, 07:58:51 PM
Karma for the 2009 NFCCG is a bitch.

That happened last year in the 2017 NFC divisional.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 20, 2019, 11:03:41 PM
Yay

Roadgeekteen, I hope you're happy. Tom Brady has been winning Super Bowls since before you were born, and now he's making another one. You Pats fans are extremely spoiled.
Forget the I-41 haters

triplemultiplex

This super bowl is tainted.  Neither participant deserves to be there after those atrociously officiated games.  Apparently, the ground is an eligible receive for the goddamn Patriots.  I've never seen so many "catches" hit the turf.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: MantyMadTown on January 21, 2019, 01:36:02 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 20, 2019, 07:58:51 PM
Karma for the 2009 NFCCG is a bitch.
That happened last year in the 2017 NFC divisional.

No. That was a close game, pulled out by the skill of the players and a miracle mistake. Last night is a clear example of being screwed by the refs, which is what happened several times during the game back in 2009.

Now we are even.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 21, 2019, 09:13:37 AM
This super bowl is tainted.  Neither participant deserves to be there after those atrociously officiated games.  Apparently, the ground is an eligible receive for the goddamn Patriots.  I've never seen so many "catches" hit the turf.
Both sides had some bad calls against them in the Chiefs game. The pick play was pretty bad.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Buck87

So I've seen a couple guys on ESPN this morning imply that, instead of throwing the ball, all the Saints had to do was run the ball 3 times to run the clock down and then kick the game winning FG.

Um, no, it's not that simple. There are these things called timeouts, and LA had 2 of them. 
There was 1:58 left, so if the Saints wanted to kick a game winning FG as time expired they needed to get a first down.

If they do the 3 predictable runs up the middle and kick the FG on 4th down, there would have been somewhere around 1:00-1:05 left on the clock for the Rams to try to get into FG range themselves.

Also worth mentioning, had the PI been called, and New Orleans not scored a TD, they would have been kicking that go ahead FG with around 20 seconds left, not the "4 seconds" I've heard mentioned a few times by guys on TV

ET21

So who to root for? Brady going for MJ status and a sixth ring, or LA who didn't realize they had a team until last year  :awesomeface: :awesomeface:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Buck87 on January 21, 2019, 11:06:06 AM
So I've seen a couple guys on ESPN this morning imply that, instead of throwing the ball, all the Saints had to do was run the ball 3 times to run the clock down and then kick the game winning FG.

Um, no, it's not that simple. There are these things called timeouts, and LA had 2 of them. 
There was 1:58 left, so if the Saints wanted to kick a game winning FG as time expired they needed to get a first down.

If they do the 3 predictable runs up the middle and kick the FG on 4th down, there would have been somewhere around 1:00-1:05 left on the clock for the Rams to try to get into FG range themselves.

Also worth mentioning, had the PI been called, and New Orleans not scored a TD, they would have been kicking that go ahead FG with around 20 seconds left, not the "4 seconds" I've heard mentioned a few times by guys on TV

But 1:05 and no timeouts leaves a lot less margin for error than 1:43 and one timeout. I don't think that's insignificant, even if still a good chunk of time. I've seen teams get in range with as little as 20-25 seconds to work with.

Even knowing it's coming the Rams' defense biggest weakness has been running between the tackles, as well.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

cjk374

I am told that the NFL is going to rename the Super Bowl to the "Tom Brady Invitational".

I for one will not be watching the Super (toilet)Bowl this year. Not just because my Saints were robbed, I don't care for either team in the game. This could be the lowest rated Super Bowl in viewership ever. I don't think there is a conspiracy behind the suck-ass calls (and lack of calls), but I hope Godell is very proud of the Super Bowl that has been created by his refs.

WHO DAT DAMMIT!!! Saints for SB LIV.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

oscar

Quote from: cjk374 on January 21, 2019, 08:39:34 PM
This could be the lowest rated Super Bowl in viewership ever.

Maybe. But whether by coincidence or not, it could boost viewership and overall NFL popularity in the huge Los Angeles television market, which has all of a sudden gone from no pro football to a Super Bowl team and another one (the Chargers) that also made the playoffs.

cjk374

Quote from: oscar on January 21, 2019, 09:02:26 PM

Maybe. But whether by coincidence or not, it could boost viewership and overall NFL popularity in the huge Los Angeles television market, which has all of a sudden gone from no pro football to a Super Bowl team and another one (the Chargers) that also made the playoffs.

The Rams have about 10 fans. Two of them were refs in the NFC Championship game yesterday.  :-D :-D :sombrero:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

TheHighwayMan3561

Fueling the farce that LA is a good football town.  :paranoid:

I've held the belief that the Chiefs/Rams game wasn't moved from Mexico City solely due to the bad field; with how they spent 20 years pushing the return of LA as essential for the sport, like Hell were they letting a game between two 9-1 teams be played outside of LA.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

DaBigE

I don't think there is a conspiracy behind the suck-ass calls (and lack of calls), but I hope Godell is very proud of the Super Bowl that has been created by his refs.

Irony that this is Super Bowl LIII (pronounced LIE)?

Yes, I realize that also works for the last two Super Bowls. This year just seems a bit more appropriate.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

formulanone

Doubtful, because there's lots of people who want to see the Patriots win, and lot more who probably want to see them lose. Even a "low rated"  Superbowl is still winds up one of the top 2-3 TV events in the US every year. Sure, there's millions of folks and sports fans who tune in every year regardless of who plays...it would have been fun to watch a Chiefs - Saints matchup, but it would likely have had even less viewers, as they represent smaller media markets. I'm not suggesting a "fix", but I think that having a plausible underdog and a bit of a villain always makes for good TV.

The Super Bowl held in 2002, which also featured the same two teams, didn't rank up there with ratings; yet it was a good game right up to the last seconds. Apparently, the team from New England went on to pretty good things in the future.

After that, how much sympathy should I have for a bunch of brands that feel the urge to toss away $5-10 million on advertisements?

oscar

Quote from: formulanone on January 22, 2019, 06:22:16 AM

Doubtful, because there's lots of people who want to see the Patriots win, and lot more who probably want to see them lose. Even a "low rated"  Superbowl is still winds up one of the top 2-3 TV events in the US every year. Sure, there's millions of folks and sports fans who tune in every year regardless of who plays...it would have been fun to watch a Chiefs - Saints matchup, but it would likely have had even less viewers, as they represent smaller media markets. I'm not suggesting a "fix", but I think that having a plausible underdog and a bit of a villain always makes for good TV.

It will help also that we'll have Tony Romo as an announcer, and not Cris Collinsworth. Big improvement.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: oscar on January 22, 2019, 07:34:27 AM
Quote from: formulanone on January 22, 2019, 06:22:16 AM

It will help also that we'll have Tony Romo as an announcer, and not Cris Collinsworth. Big improvement.
I love Romo! I like the way he says "oh, oh, oh I don't know Jim"

formulanone

Quote from: oscar on January 22, 2019, 07:34:27 AM

No argument there. Only Gary Danielson is more grating.

LM117

Romo is awesome. That guy was born to be a commentator. Collinsworth can go play in traffic for all I care. As much as I think this Super Bowl sucks, it would've been flat-out unbearable if Collinsworth was there playing cheerleader for the Pats the way he did last year.

LM117

I've seen a few comments elsewhere that believes Goodell wanted an LA team in the Super Bowl for that very reason, hence the New Orleans Screwjob (throwback term for Montreal Screwjob for wrestling fans).

LM117

Quote from: formulanone on January 22, 2019, 06:22:16 AMI'm not suggesting a "fix", but I think that having a plausible underdog and a bit of a villain always makes for good TV.

Kinda hard to make good TV when both teams come off as villains. The Pats are almost universally hated and there are many (including myself) who believe the Rams wouldn't even be in the Super Bowl if it wasn't for the refs doing the birdbox challenge. I don't hate the Rams themselves for it, but I'm sure some view them as guilty by association.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: LM117 on January 22, 2019, 09:54:01 AM

I've seen a few comments elsewhere that believes Goodell wanted an LA team in the Super Bowl for that very reason, hence the New Orleans Screwjob (throwback term for Montreal Screwjob for wrestling fans).
I don't believe that. There were a few missed calls on the Rams as well.

Henry

Let's hope that fate smiles on the Rams the same way it did on the Eagles last year. And I'm citing some history for my pick, as I used to live in L.A. (1988-2000, with the first four years being split between there and Chicago), and my favorite team absolutely destroyed the Patriots when I was a sophomore in high school (46-10 in Super Bowl XX).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.