News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: dvferyance on April 10, 2018, 09:55:37 PM
Is Chicago going to have an expressway named after Obama? I would think it would be a given since they name their expressways after politicians.
Well Rod Blagojevich was removed from the tollway signs.

I-490 is open for Obama

Brandon

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on April 10, 2018, 11:06:39 PM
Is Chicago going to have an expressway named after Obama? I would think it would be a given since they name their expressways after politicians.

I-490 is open for Obama

They already put signs up for him on I-55 between Pontiac and the Tri-State.  Regardless of what you think of the man, I really don't like naming things after living people.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

inkyatari

Quote from: Brandon on April 11, 2018, 07:16:23 AM

They already put signs up for him on I-55 between Pontiac and the Tri-State.  Regardless of what you think of the man, I really don't like naming things after living people.

Personally, I don't like naming things after politicians in general.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Rick Powell

The I-57 "west leg of the Dan Ryan" has been mentioned as a candidate since it is the only one where a name wouldn't need to be removed. I suppose the I-80 "Moline Expressway" west of the Kingery could also be a candidate.

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

dvferyance

I-490 is open for Obama
His name was removed becasue he was no longer Governor and I assumed Gov Quinn did not want his name to be on the signs.

abefroman329

Quote from: dvferyance on April 11, 2018, 12:08:50 PM

I-490 is open for Obama
His name was removed becasue he was no longer Governor and I assumed Gov Quinn did not want his name to be on the signs.

I assumed the signs were Blago patting himself on the back because he was Governor while ORT was completed.

ilpt4u

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 11, 2018, 12:44:28 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on April 11, 2018, 12:08:50 PM

I-490 is open for Obama

I assumed the signs were Blago patting himself on the back because he was Governor while ORT was completed.
That and getting the I-355 South Extension built.

inkyatari

Why was the Chinatown Feeder never connected to Wacker Drive? I saw it proposed on some maps, and it does seem like a no brainer, but it's always confused me why it was never built.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Revive 755

Quote from: inkyatari on April 16, 2018, 12:57:34 PM
Why was the Chinatown Feeder never connected to Wacker Drive? I saw it proposed on some maps, and it does seem like a no brainer, but it's always confused me why it was never built.

I think it was a victim of the anti-freeway wave of the 1970's.

ChiMilNet

The below link highlights some Chicago Area projects slated for this construction season. Among others, some notable highlights include:

- Continued Work on the Jane Burne (Circle) Interchange
- Completion of Cumberland Flyover and Additional Lane EB I-90 (Kennedy Expressway) between River Rd and Harlem Ave
- I-88 Rebuilding/Widening between York Rd and I-290
- Edens Spur (I-94) Reconstruction
- I-355 Repaving between Army Trail and I-55
- Milburn Bypass (US 45)
- Longmeadow Parkway Construction

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20180416/construction-season-is-here-x2014-our-guide-to-surviving-it

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ChiMilNet on April 16, 2018, 10:18:55 PM
The below link highlights some Chicago Area projects slated for this construction season. Among others, some notable highlights include:

- Completion of Cumberland Flyover and Additional Lane EB I-90 (Kennedy Expressway) between River Rd and Harlem Ave
- Milburn Bypass (US 45)

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20180416/construction-season-is-here-x2014-our-guide-to-surviving-it
longmeadow parkway what are the toll rules I-pass one rate and pay on line higher? the same 7 days to pay?

Joe The Dragon

- Milburn Bypass (US 45)

missing from that list is the golf circle / suicide Circle / Cumberland Circle rebuild.
http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20180330/cumberland-circle-reconstruction-in-des-plaines-beginning-soon

Rick Powell

Quote from: inkyatari on April 16, 2018, 12:57:34 PM

There is this project, which first phase is going to construction. To alleviate congestion for vehicles exiting the Dan Ryan at Cermak, they can continue north to Roosevelt when the connector is built.

https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/cdot/supp_info/WellsWentworthConnector.html

ET21

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on April 17, 2018, 12:45:01 AM

- Milburn Bypass (US 45)

missing from that list is the golf circle / suicide Circle / Cumberland Circle rebuild.
http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20180330/cumberland-circle-reconstruction-in-des-plaines-beginning-soon

It's not too bad so far as long as you do your homework and know what routes to take. I still need to use it daily, but have shortened the commute to where I avoid the nasty backups during the AM/PM rushes
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

paulthemapguy

Quote from: ET21 on April 17, 2018, 08:46:00 AM

- Milburn Bypass (US 45)

It's not too bad so far as long as you do your homework and know what routes to take. I still need to use it daily, but have shortened the commute to where I avoid the nasty backups during the AM/PM rushes

I was going to say that I-294 could be a good alternate for some of this...but isn't the central section of I-294 about to undergo some reconstruction too?  Perhaps it isn't slated for this year, but for other years in the near future.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

SSOWorld

I-290 to I-355 can bypass that at the cost of time.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 17, 2018, 02:47:57 PM
I-355 has road work and I-290 to I-90 sucks + I-290 to I-294 both ways is really BAD!!

ChiMilNet

- Milburn Bypass (US 45)

Yes, and that is a much needed one. I'm curious how that will flow when it's finished.

ILRoad55

355 again with resurfacing!?? Didn't they do that back in like 2009? They shouldn't have done asphalt.

checked the Tollway site, looks like they will replace lighting too. I'm guessing LED will replace the old lighting, ughhh.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: ILRoad55 on April 18, 2018, 12:30:07 AM
355 again with resurfacing!?? Didn't they do that back in like 2009? They shouldn't have done asphalt.

checked the Tollway site, looks like they will replace lighting too. I'm guessing LED will replace the old lighting, ughhh.

The original concrete was only 20 years old at the time, so they wouldn't be doing a total reconstruction of the concrete at that time. Considering that the asphalt is almost 9 years old, it's actually about right, based on the lifespan in a Northern climate, for a repaving to occur. Hopefully, this might involve also repaving the entire ramps as the pavement on those is starting to really show its age.

I am quite sure that the lighting replacement will be LED as that is what the tollway is going with now. It actually saves a lot in energy and lights up the tollways better. I know some like the "warmth" of the traditional sodium vapor lighting, but that is the way the Tollway is going, which I personally am fine with. I'd rather they be more efficient and light the road better, especially if it's safer. I get the feeling that all lighting on the Tollway system will be LED within the next 5 or so years.

ILRoad55

Quote from: ChiMilNet on April 18, 2018, 07:41:23 PM

The original concrete was only 20 years old at the time, so they wouldn't be doing a total reconstruction of the concrete at that time. Considering that the asphalt is almost 9 years old, it's actually about right, based on the lifespan in a Northern climate, for a repaving to occur. Hopefully, this might involve also repaving the entire ramps as the pavement on those is starting to really show its age.

I am quite sure that the lighting replacement will be LED as that is what the tollway is going with now. It actually saves a lot in energy and lights up the tollways better. I know some like the "warmth" of the traditional sodium vapor lighting, but that is the way the Tollway is going, which I personally am fine with. I'd rather they be more efficient and light the road better, especially if it's safer. I get the feeling that all lighting on the Tollway system will be LED within the next 5 or so years.

I think they should have done concrete the last time they did the repaving.

As for the lights, I'm all for efficient lights but I do prefer the orange hue, it feels better on the eyes.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: ILRoad55 on April 18, 2018, 11:12:52 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on April 18, 2018, 07:41:23 PM

I think they should have done concrete the last time they did the repaving.

As for the lights, I'm all for efficient lights but I do prefer the orange hue, it feels better on the eyes.

While concrete is more ideal, it is also way more expensive. It also would have required tearing up the existing base pavement and been a much longer and more extensive project than I am sure was in the Tollway's budget and scope at the time. That's just generally not how the lifespan of expressway pavement goes, unless it is a really shoddy job that was done with the original pavement, they will overlay it with asphalt to extend the lifespan as much as possible, especially if it's 20 years old or less. I wouldn't be surprised if, a decade from now, they do consider a full pavement rebuild. By then, it would be the oldest original base pavement remaining in the system. However, I would argue that the Tollway in 2009 had and still has more pressing needs, such as rebuilding the Central Tri-State (I-294), which has some places where asphalt still overlays the original 60 year old pavement, as well as building/finishing I-490 for instance. I-355, generally, is serviceable with its current base pavement for now, and I imagine the Tollway is doing this repaving and improvment project now to minimize construction on I-355 during the I-294 rebuild. I would expect a jump in traffic on I-355 for people using it to avoid the mess that is going to be I-294 for the next 5 years or so. IMO, this is actually good planning when you think about it.

As for the debate on LED vs. traditional lighting, I guess that is a matter of personal preference. At this point, most of IDOT's installations remain traditional, so it certainly isn't a universal buy-in at this point for all Illinois agencies.

Revive 755

Quote from: ChiMilNet on April 18, 2018, 11:43:09 PM
While concrete is more ideal, it is also way more expensive. It also would have required tearing up the existing base pavement and been a much longer and more extensive project than I am sure was in the Tollway's budget and scope at the time.

They would not necessarily have to go too far into the base pavement if they did a concrete overlay.  While it would take longer and be harder to stager, it would be nicer than having another round of repairs in the near future. 

I seem to recall some other repair project on I-355 north of I-55 in this decade - besides the widening around 75th Street - anyone remember what it was?

ChimpOnTheWheel

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on April 17, 2018, 05:38:13 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on April 17, 2018, 02:47:57 PM
I-355 has road work and I-290 to I-90 sucks + I-290 to I-294 both ways is really BAD!!

You could just take I-290 to IL-83 to US-45 to I-80 to I-294. More complicated and more stoplights, but saves you from construction.
Just a casual.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.