News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

OpenStreetMap alternative to save "personal" edits?

Started by jakeroot, February 13, 2014, 06:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

I love using OpenStreetMap to...well edit maps. But obviously I'm limited to non-fictitious edits, which is very annoying. My question is whether or not there is an alternative OpenStreetMap (or an API based on OSM) that allows you to save your edits so only you can view them? I really enjoy editing an interchange to my liking or creating new roads were there aren't presently any, but of course I cannot save the edits because my edits aren't real.

Scott5114

I believe it is possible to install OSM software on your own server, thereby effectively giving you a personal OSM to fiddle with.

You could also use GIS software like QGIS to create maps of fictional places, or get data for existing places and edit it. It is not all that much harder than using OSM, and is probably easier than setting up a webserver to get the OSM stuff running.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 13, 2014, 09:46:57 PM
I believe it is possible to install OSM software on your own server, thereby effectively giving you a personal OSM to fiddle with.

You could also use GIS software like QGIS to create maps of fictional places, or get data for existing places and edit it. It is not all that much harder than using OSM, and is probably easier than setting up a webserver to get the OSM stuff running.

I'm gonna go ahead and give that all a run. Thanks for the info!

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jakeroot

Katavia

(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.