News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 6 may actually be LONGER than US 20

Started by usends, August 24, 2020, 12:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 19, 2022, 07:43:42 AM
This discussion is the first I've heard that there's a gap in US 6. It's listed as continuous in TravelMapping. Where is the gap?
There's not really a gap.  There's a one-mile segment of US 6 that Colorado DOT turned over to the city of Rifle for maintenance.  It's still signposted as US 6, and it still is US 6, just maintained by the City instead of the State.  Just like countless other segments of US highways (especially in the East) that are maintained by towns instead of by the state DOTs.  But the weird thing about US 6 in Rifle is that for some reason CDOT felt it was necessary to inform AASHTO about it, and for some other inexplicable reason AASHTO approved it (instead of just saying "This is of no concern to us").  So now because it's in the AASHTO minutes, some have interpreted that to mean that US 6 has a discontinuity in Rifle. 
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: usends on October 19, 2022, 08:11:16 AM
This discussion is the first I've heard that there's a gap in US 6. It's listed as continuous in TravelMapping. Where is the gap?
There's not really a gap.  There's a one-mile segment of US 6 that Colorado DOT turned over to the city of Rifle for maintenance.  It's still signposted as US 6, and it still is US 6, just maintained by the City instead of the State.  Just like countless other segments of US highways (especially in the East) that are maintained by towns instead of by the state DOTs.  But the weird thing about US 6 in Rifle is that for some reason CDOT felt it was necessary to inform AASHTO about it, and for some other inexplicable reason AASHTO approved it (instead of just saying "This is of no concern to us").  So now because it's in the AASHTO minutes, some have interpreted that to mean that US 6 has a discontinuity in Rifle. 

OK, well that explains why it's still continuous in TM as they go by what is signed.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Quillz

Colorado does not consider it contiguous in places.

EDIT: The above post mentioned it in much better detail.

JayhawkCO

The real US route incongruity in Colorado is US85 in Colorado Springs.

SD Mapman

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 19, 2022, 08:23:26 AM

OK, well that explains why it's still continuous in TM as they go by what is signed.
As the CO TM maintainer, I've used a combination of what's signed, what's legislatively the route for CDOT, and the AASHTO minutes to route the US routes through the state. It'd make my life a lot easier if CDOT didn't consider them a bunch of discontinuous segments! (lowkey if I was ever elected President the first executive order I'd sign would be to force Colorado to recognize US/Interstate concurrencies)

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 19, 2022, 05:02:30 PM
There's that, and if you look at OTIS US 24 does the same thing over by Kansas... CDOT has it following the service road along I-70 and KDOT has it following I-70, so to truly clinch US 24, one must drive east from Burlington along the service road, turn right at the state line, drive off the Free Coffee bridge, and land on I-70 EB in Kansas.  :pan:

Needless to say, we at TM have simplified the unsigned/badly signed/stupid incorrect END sign portions of the US routes through Colorado so it's as painless as possible for the general roadgeeking public to track their travels in the Rocky Mountain High state.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

texaskdog

I always feel like asking Dale is like asking God directly.

Rothman

Quote from: SD Mapman on October 19, 2022, 11:23:19 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 19, 2022, 08:23:26 AM

As the CO TM maintainer, I've used a combination of what's signed, what's legislatively the route for CDOT, and the AASHTO minutes to route the US routes through the state. It'd make my life a lot easier if CDOT didn't consider them a bunch of discontinuous segments! (lowkey if I was ever elected President the first executive order I'd sign would be to force Colorado to recognize US/Interstate concurrencies)

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 19, 2022, 05:02:30 PM
There's that, and if you look at OTIS US 24 does the same thing over by Kansas... CDOT has it following the service road along I-70 and KDOT has it following I-70, so to truly clinch US 24, one must drive east from Burlington along the service road, turn right at the state line, drive off the Free Coffee bridge, and land on I-70 EB in Kansas.  :pan:

Needless to say, we at TM have simplified the unsigned/badly signed/stupid incorrect END sign portions of the US routes through Colorado so it's as painless as possible for the general roadgeeking public to track their travels in the Rocky Mountain High state.
The hero we deserve...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

if I was ever elected President the first executive order I'd sign would be to force Colorado to recognize US/Interstate concurrencies

It would probably be difficult to convince the Party that that's a good issue to campaign on.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on October 20, 2022, 12:27:21 PM
if I was ever elected President the first executive order I'd sign would be to force Colorado to recognize US/Interstate concurrencies

It would probably be difficult to convince the Party that that's a good issue to campaign on.

That's why it's an executive order.  All you have to do is get elected President, go off script and go after AASHTO Route log discrepancies on day 1.  Who cares what your party think, what they don't know can't hurt them?

SD Mapman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 20, 2022, 12:30:12 PM

That's why it's an executive order.  All you have to do is get elected President, go off script and go after AASHTO Route log discrepancies on day 1.  Who cares what your party think, what they don't know can't hurt them?
Exactly!
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Scott5114

Quote from: SD Mapman on October 20, 2022, 09:37:51 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 20, 2022, 12:30:12 PM

Exactly!

Given that the roads themselves are owned by the state (and AASHTO is an association of the states), you would probably need to be Governor of Colorado, not President, to make that happen.

I may have fantasized about being Governor of Oklahoma to executive-order the hell out of ODOT once or twice or seventeen hundred ninety-two times.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Call it a matter of interstate commerce...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.