News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Semi-Circular Banners

Started by Dirt Roads, October 25, 2022, 12:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Rothman on March 03, 2021, 11:42:13 AM
Oh, and it's the Mountain Parkway.  No nicknames for that.

Quote from: hbelkins on March 03, 2021, 06:55:52 PM
Around here, it's "the parkway" and some even call it "the toll road" even though the tolls have been off for 35 years.

Quote from: XamotCGC on October 24, 2022, 09:42:20 PM
So no one calls it the Combs Parkway?

Quote from: seicer on October 25, 2022, 09:39:05 AM
Practically everyone around here call it the Mountain Parkway - and that's how it's written in local papers and media outlets, so the name just stuck around.

All of this discussion about the Bert T. Combs Mountain Parkway reminded me of the semi-circular banners over top of circular cutouts:

I remember seeing only the Mountain Parkway signs at first, then the "Bert T. Combs" banners were added in the 1970s.  I seem to recall other highways that had semi-circular banners as well.

Admins:  Topics about signage generally appear in the Traffic Control board, but since this particular instance has nothing to do with "traffic" or "control" I shoved the topic over here.  Feel free to give me a bump, if needed. 

Scott5114

Generally, sign stuff goes in Traffic Control because signs are "traffic control devices"...even when they don't really try to control traffic, like state line signs.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.