News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Highway Talk / Re: Routing Decisions that can...
Last post by GaryA - Today at 12:07:54 PM
Quote from: cockroachking on April 29, 2024, 08:21:33 PM
Quote from: BJ59 on April 29, 2024, 06:26:30 PMI don't understand when GPS routes you on toll routes when the free routes are minutes slower. On my commute, my GPS always routes me to take tolls and express lanes, and the alternate option of taking only free routes is one minute slower. You'd think there is the technology nowadays to keep people off of toll roads if the time difference is marginal.
Google and Waze both have toll avoidance options.

But that is generally an all-or-nothing option.  I agree that I'd like some sort of an option (probably a sliding set of settings between all and nothing) to say "avoid tolls unless it saves significant time/distance", although it would be hard to set specific quantities or levels.

You could also imagine sliding options to indicate things like "I'd rather spend an hour on the open road than 45 minutes in slow traffic" or "I'd like to take scenic routes unless they add too much to the travel time" (where different people might have different opinions on what "too much time" is).
Sports / Re: General NBA thread
Last post by The Ghostbuster - Today at 12:06:17 PM
I would expect the Celtics, the Knicks and the Pacers will likely win their Game 5s and proceed to the second round of the playoffs. The other two series are likely toss-ups. Given that Cleveland is my favorite team, I hope they advance to the second round and Orlando doesn't. I think the Clippers/Mavericks series could go either way. One thing is for certain. I have a lot of games to watch.
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by GaryV - Today at 12:03:22 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on Today at 11:45:32 AM'home', used by many as a flowery, positive way

It's just one of those "code words" used by people selling real estate. Home sounds better than house, because it evokes the thought that you will be at home if you buy that property. A house is just a building. A home is a feeling.

Traffic Control / Guess the Special Route Challe...
Last post by Hunty2022 - Today at 11:58:51 AM
This is an idea I've had for about a month now, and that's a guessing game for Special Routes(Bus, Alt, Bypass, etc). Search results say this thread hasn't existed yet, so I'll make it. The rules are below:

1. The poster posts an image of a Special Route, and must say which forum region it is in.
2. You can't guess again until at least 6 hours have gone by.
3. After 24 hours with no correct guesses, the poster must say which state the special route is in.
4. Whoever guesses correctly gets 24 hours to post the next special route.
5. If the poster doesn't confirm or debunk a guess within 48 hours, a new round may start.
6. Any special route is allowed, including Interstates (no 3di), US Routes, and State Routes.

Here is the first one, from the Mid-Atlantic:

Pacific Southwest / Re: Interstate 11 alignment, t...
Last post by roadfro - Today at 11:53:10 AM
Quote from: rlb2024 on April 29, 2024, 03:17:37 PMI was in Las Vegas this weekend and noticed that the signage on southbound I-15 at the 11/95 interchange shows I-11 North and I-11 South.
It was mentioned upthread that this was likely the result of a major sign replacement project on I-15, and that they used I-11 shields instead of I-515 shields to avoid needing to make alterations to newly-fabricated BGSs less than a year later.
Last post by mgk920 - Today at 11:45:32 AM
One that has always bugged me is misuse of the word 'home', used by many as a flowery, positive way of referring to a quaint detached single family house on a lot.  I have always considered 'home' to mean the place, whatever and wherever it is, where you live, reside, are domiciled, whereas 'house' is the physical structure.

Mike
Traffic Control / Re: Guess the exit number chal...
Last post by Hunty2022 - Today at 11:39:31 AM
Guess I'll bring us back here:

State is North Carolina again.
Stuckey's!
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 11:36:40 AM
Some convenience store coffee rewards are worth a free cup if you frequent the store a lot for a caffeine fix to and from work.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.