News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

RDU Meet-July 30, 2022

Started by 74/171FAN, March 04, 2021, 04:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When should the rescheduled RDU Meet be?

July 9, 2022
0 (0%)
July 16, 2022
0 (0%)
July 30, 2022
3 (30%)
September 10, 2022
3 (30%)
November 12, 2022
2 (20%)
Other
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: June 03, 2022, 09:06:15 PM

74/171FAN

Yeah, I am still planning to host this meet sometime in 2022 at the moment. 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13255.msg2677618#msg2677618

Well, I guess I do not have to worry about figuring out if this may conflict with AJ anymore.  Hopefully, it will open by June/July.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am thinking about scheduling this for November 12th after the recent news posted in the I-885 thread. 

I would like some feedback on how much we can do with less daylight that time of year.  I think that I may need to stick with Durham and the RTP unless we are willing to start as early as 10 AM and do an after-meet lunch or dinner.

Alps

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 16, 2022, 06:26:50 PM
I am thinking about scheduling this for November 12th after the recent news posted in the I-885 thread. 

I would like some feedback on how much we can do with less daylight that time of year.  I think that I may need to stick with Durham and the RTP unless we are willing to start as early as 10 AM and do an after-meet lunch or dinner.
It said open by summer, why wait so long?

dlsterner

Just a thought - when looking at a fall weekend for a meet, might want to see if any local universities (like Duke, UNC, NC St, etc) have a home football game scheduled for that weekend, which could affect availability of lodging and/or pose traffic issues.

elsmere241

I'd love the excuse to get back to the RDU area (I lived there Sep 1998 to April 2002) and see how things have progressed.  I passed through last July and liked what I saw.  I have Veterans' Day off so I'll have to think about it.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alps on February 16, 2022, 10:41:08 PM

It said open by summer, why wait so long?

I think my concern (beyond personal convenience) is that the road meet calendar for 2022 is filling up quickly. 

Quote from: dlsterner on February 16, 2022, 10:59:36 PM

Just a thought - when looking at a fall weekend for a meet, might want to see if any local universities (like Duke, UNC, NC St, etc) have a home football game scheduled for that weekend, which could affect availability of lodging and/or pose traffic issues.

Fair point.  I would rather do this in the summer, but I do not want to dilute the roadmeet calendar than what is already there.  I think I can go with mid-July (16th or 23rd) as long as that area remains open.  I guess it is hard for me to commit to a date in that range because all of us have a lack in trusting NCDOT in regard to this project.

CanesFan27

Personally, I wouldn't worry about other meets unless they are close by.  July will allow for viewing of 540 construction - which you still can do in November.  If you choose November, I would focus more on 540 construction vs. a one mile stretch of road everyone can drive at their leisure.  Plus if advertised enough - a lot of local Raleigh area folks will show up (so I wouldn't worry about out of state attendance.)

Football games shouldn't be concerning - 1) no one goes to Duke games 2) Carolina games would be more at Chapel Hill 3) State games - there are plenty of hotels in the area that shouldn't be a problem.

Brier Creek area is a good meeting point - rather quick to 885 and central enough location for RTP and 540.

Laura

Quote from: CanesFan27 on February 17, 2022, 08:09:56 AM
Personally, I wouldn't worry about other meets unless they are close by. 

Just FYI, the Extra Miler Club Annual Meeting is on July 23rd in Hampton, VA. I know there is some crossover between roadgeeks and extra milers.

Rothman

Quote from: Laura on February 17, 2022, 09:07:44 AM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on February 17, 2022, 08:09:56 AM
Personally, I wouldn't worry about other meets unless they are close by. 

Just FYI, the Extra Miler Club Annual Meeting is on July 23rd in Hampton, VA. I know there is some crossover between roadgeeks and extra milers.
Yep.  I am hoping to get to the EMC meet on the 23rd.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

74/171FAN

Would July 9th be a favorable date potentially even though it is right after the 4th of July?

Alps

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 27, 2022, 11:06:13 AM
Would July 9th be a favorable date potentially even though it is right after the 4th of July?
I've removed the poll. Can you readd one?

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alps on February 27, 2022, 08:08:53 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 27, 2022, 11:06:13 AM
I've removed the poll. Can you readd one?

Thanks for that.  I'll probably do that tomorrow.

CanesFan27

No guarantees but whatever date you pick is fine with me.

74/171FAN

kevinb1994

Going with the latest date in the poll.

Alps

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 28, 2022, 09:27:39 AM
A new poll has been added.
Multiple choice might be preferable... Given that July 4 weekend is already a roadtrip for me, I'm going with the 30th. Still not sure I can make it but with Raleigh I can never be ruled out...

Takumi

Voting for November because I'll be back from South Africa by then.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

oscar

I'm not voting for any of the options at this time. Definite schedule conflicts for July 30 and November 12, and the other two dates will likely also have conflicts.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

74/171FAN

My only work on this recently honestly has been to consider maybe doing a pre-meet of sorts to drive through the I-40 widening project.  Of course, this is probably the result of me driving through the area during morning rush hour to clinch the four US 70s of Selma-Smithfield.

74/171FAN

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13255.msg2734957#msg2734957

So oddly enough November 12th barely won the poll that I previously ran.  I think it is best that we go with a revote so that we can clarify that date is what we want.

I am hoping for a mid-June opening date at this point.

Otherwise, if we do November 12th, I am thinking about having us meet up at the Sheetz on NC 42 at Cornwallis Rd at 10 AM so that we can hopefully tour the I-40 construction without too many issues.  In this format, we would do a late afternoon lunch/dinner after the tour.

Also, please clarify if you can vote in the poll.  I do not know if you are able to vote at the moment.

kevinb1994

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 04, 2022, 04:42:36 PM

So oddly enough November 12th barely won the poll that I previously ran.  I think it is best that we go with a revote so that we can clarify that date is what we want.

Otherwise, if we do November 12th, I am thinking about having us meet up at the Sheetz on NC 42 at Cornwallis Rd at 10 AM so that we can hopefully tour the I-40 construction without too many issues.  In this format, we would do a late afternoon lunch/dinner after the tour.

Also, please clarify if you can vote in the poll.  I do not know if you are able to vote at the moment.
I cannot vote.

SSOWorld

Quote from: kevinb1994 on May 04, 2022, 08:56:06 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 04, 2022, 04:42:36 PM

I cannot vote.
FIXED!!!!
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

74/171FAN

Thank you for fixing it Scott.

Takumi

Voting worked for me.

November 12 won't work for me, since I'll just be getting back into the country the week prior.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.