News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Overdrive's 2009 Worst Roads Rankings

Started by PAHighways, March 05, 2010, 08:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

The magazine's yearly ranking is out with Pennsylvania reclaiming title of "Worst Roads."  Unfortunately no shout out from Overdrive in this year's article, but it's probably best considering that we "won."

http://www.overdriveonline.com/the-good-the-bad-the-better/

Duke87

QuoteOwner-operator Shawn Cavanaugh of Shamokin, Pa., who's leased to Camel Express, says I-95's 40 miles from the George Washington Bridge to the Connecticut state line can be a challenge for any driver.

While I agree that that's a "bad road" (well, at least the Bronx part. The Westchester part is actually better than the SW CT part), I-95 only runs for 23.5 miles in New York, not 40. :pan:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Illinois had 800 fatalities lasy year lowest since the twenties and this survey said we had the worst drivers. How many fatalities did Texas have?

mightyace

BEST AUTOMOBILE DRIVERS
1. Texas
2. Ohio
3. Tennessee

Tennessee 3rd, Ohio 2nd????  :confused:
What drugs were they smoking?

Points in favor of Rendell's case for tolling I-80:
WORST ROADS
1. Pennsylvania
2. Michigan
3. New York and California (tie)

Points against Rendell's case for tolling I-80:
MOST IMPROVED ROAD
1. I-80 Pennsylvania
2. I-10 Louisiana
3. I-81 Pennsylvania

Even with the funding "crisis" in Pennsylvania, I-80 and I-81 make the most improved roads list.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

bugo

Arkansas I-40 made the list.  It's not that bad west of North Little Rock, although it's choked with traffic and should be 6 lanes.  Oklahoma I-40 was also mentioned.  It's not too bad until you get to about 2 miles from the Muskogee Turnpike where it gets really rough.  I have no idea how bad it is west of Webbers Falls.  This portion is under construction right now and traffic is down to one lane in each direction.  WB traffic is striped to use the shoulder, which is ROUGH.  It's hard to drive over 45 MPH on it.  Luckily my car is narrow and I can stay off the shoulder, although driving that close to the Jersey barrier is unnerving.  And thankfully I only have to drive on it for 2 miles when I use I-40.

hbelkins

Quote from: PAHighways on March 05, 2010, 08:05:31 PM
The magazine's yearly ranking is out with Pennsylvania reclaiming title of "Worst Roads."  Unfortunately no shout out from Overdrive in this year's article, but it's probably best considering that we "won."

http://www.overdriveonline.com/the-good-the-bad-the-better/

I've been to Pennsylvania. I've been to Ohio. Apparently Overdrive Magazine hasn't been to Ohio if they think Penna's roads are worse.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

UptownRoadGeek

Even though it made the most improved list, I'm curious to see how I-10 in Louisiana still ended up one of the worse roads.  All of the bad sections have been repaved and/or widened and the remaining sections were in good condition to begin with.  The only problem I-10 faces is traffic.  It has to be the best conditioned interstate in the state and I've seen worse in other states.

InterstateNG

I-40 from Memphis to Little Rock is like going down a staircase.
I demand an apology.

bugo

Quote from: InterstateNG on March 05, 2010, 10:52:32 PM
I-40 from Memphis to North Little Rock is a contender along with the entire length of I-16 for most boring highway in America.  Thankfully it is a lot nicer west of North Little Rock and east of about the Tennessee River.  It's downright beautiful in eastern Tennessee.

PAHighways

Quote from: Duke87 on March 05, 2010, 09:41:42 PMWhile I agree that that's a "bad road" (well, at least the Bronx part. The Westchester part is actually better than the SW CT part), I-95 only runs for 23.5 miles in New York, not 40. :pan:

It seems like 40, especially when hitting rush hour on the CBX as I did coming back from Boston in 2005.

PAHighways

Quote from: mightyace on March 05, 2010, 10:09:08 PMEven with the funding "crisis" in Pennsylvania, I-80 and I-81 make the most improved roads list.

Interstate 81 and Interstate 80 are always ranked well, but the latter jumps around.  One year it's voted the greatest, most improved section of highway in the US, the next is just a bit higher than a dirt path.  Between 2006 and 2007, it was second for "Most Improved Segment" and tied for second for "Worst Segment."  No doubt, if tolls are put on it, it will be continually rated as the worst.

shoptb1

Quote from: mightyace on March 05, 2010, 10:09:08 PM
BEST AUTOMOBILE DRIVERS
1. Texas
2. Ohio
3. Tennessee

I was thinking the same thing...I don't think of Ohio ANYWHERE near the top of "best automobile drivers".  Columbus is like a demolition derby when it rains, snows, is foggy, or is on a day of the week ending in 'y'.  :)

shoptb1

I'm really surprised that this didn't get reconstructed during the last ten years when the majority of the Arkansas interstate system was rehabilitated.  I-40 from Little Rock west to the Oklahoma line was redone, and is actually pretty nice.  It's not as good as Tennessee's sections, but it's nothing like Louisiana.  

Brandon

Quote from: 3467 on March 05, 2010, 09:50:03 PM
Illinois had 800 fatalities lasy year lowest since the twenties and this survey said we had the worst drivers. How many fatalities did Texas have?

Fatalities matter not here.  Chicago drivers, IMHO, are some of the worst in the US, and easily the worst in the Midwest.  They sharply contrast with drivers from Downstate and the other surrounding states.  There is a reason Illinois drivers are known as FIBs.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Chris

Traffic safety is not measured by the absolute number of traffic fatalities. Of course Texas or California have more fatalities than Illinois or Rhode Island. You have to measure it relative to population, or even better; to miles traveled.

froggie

QuoteInterstate 81 and Interstate 80 are always ranked well, but the latter jumps around.  One year it's voted the greatest, most improved section of highway in the US, the next is just a bit higher than a dirt path.  Between 2006 and 2007, it was second for "Most Improved Segment" and tied for second for "Worst Segment."

It's for reasons such as this that I give the Overdrive rankings a *HUGE* grain of salt, when I bother to consider them to begin with.  Their methodology is purely subjective and survey-driven.  No factual basis at all.

US71

I-40 from Memphis to North Little Rock is like going down a staircase.

Funny how when Mike Huckabee fixed the interstates, that part was ignored (also I-40 around Russellville).
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

PAHighways

Quote from: froggie on March 07, 2010, 09:31:41 AM
QuoteInterstate 81 and Interstate 80 are always ranked well, but the latter jumps around.  One year it's voted the greatest, most improved section of highway in the US, the next is just a bit higher than a dirt path.  Between 2006 and 2007, it was second for "Most Improved Segment" and tied for second for "Worst Segment."

It's for reasons such as this that I give the Overdrive rankings a *HUGE* grain of salt, when I bother to consider them to begin with.  Their methodology is purely subjective and survey-driven.  No factual basis at all.

I asked the editor once how they figure out the rankings.  Instead of averaging all responses they separate the positive and negative responses and then determine which had the majority.  This explains why Pennsylvania had the second worst roads and the fifth best roads one year.

bugo

Quote from: shoptb1 on March 06, 2010, 02:58:33 PM

I'm really surprised that this didn't get reconstructed during the last ten years when the majority of the Arkansas interstate system was rehabilitated.  I-40 from Little Rock west to the Oklahoma line was redone, and is actually pretty nice.  It's not as good as Tennessee's sections, but it's nothing like Louisiana.  

I drove it yesterday, and other than the aforementioned stretch through Russellville, it's not bad.  It could use 6 lanes, at least between Conway and NLR.

shoptb1

Quote from: froggie on March 07, 2010, 09:31:41 AM

Of course, this is also based on what is best for TRUCKERS.  Car drivers might not always agree with the results of this survey.

SSF

I would disagree with Texas drivers being the best too, most of the ones I encounter are doing 20 over the limit in trucks/SUV's. 

froggie

QuoteOf course, this is also based on what is best for TRUCKERS.  Car drivers might not always agree with the results of this survey.

Regardless of whether it's "best for truckers" or not, my point that this is a very subjective survey with zero factual basis still stands.

shoptb1

Quote from: froggie on March 07, 2010, 09:54:33 PM
QuoteOf course, this is also based on what is best for TRUCKERS.  Car drivers might not always agree with the results of this survey.

Regardless of whether it's "best for truckers" or not, my point that this is a very subjective survey with zero factual basis still stands.

Yeah, I was agreeing with your point :-P

mightyace

Quote from: PAHighways on March 06, 2010, 02:50:37 PM
No doubt, if tolls are put on it, it will be continually rated as the worst.

Why?  Will the truckers rate it low simply because of the tolls?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

hm insulators

Quote from: shoptb1 on March 06, 2010, 02:56:36 PM
Quote from: mightyace on March 05, 2010, 10:09:08 PM
BEST AUTOMOBILE DRIVERS
1. Texas
2. Ohio
3. Tennessee

I was thinking the same thing...I don't think of Ohio ANYWHERE near the top of "best automobile drivers".  Columbus is like a demolition derby when it rains, snows, is foggy, or is on a day of the week ending in 'y'.  :)

Sounds like Los Angeles! (Except for the snow, of course.)
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.