Highways that have reversed direction

Started by bugo, June 05, 2010, 12:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=&q=%22Burbank,+OK%22&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Burbank,+Osage,+Oklahoma&gl=us&ei=VNQJTKiWI47aNab-5bUE&ved=0CBgQ8gEwAA&ll=36.70655,-96.668186&spn=0.026699,0.084543&z=14

The road in question was once US 60/OK 11. This stretch of US 60 was bypassed.  OK 11 was rerouted to follow OK 18 north.  Before US 60 was realigned and OK 11 was rerouted to follow OK 18, going eastbound on this road was OK 11 east.  Now, going eastbound the road is OK 11 west.  Has this ever happened anywhere else?

UptownRoadGeek

Eastbound traffic heading into New Orleans on U.S. 90 Business is actually traveling west and westbound traffic is traveling east.

TheStranger

Two examples of the directional reverse in California, although not quite on the same number:

- Northbound Greenway Drive in Big Bear City, judging from 1950s maps, was Route 30 east (and Route 30 west for the southbound direction), but since 1964 has been Route 18 east AND Route 38 west (and vice versa southbound).

- During the initial signing of interstates in San Jose, southbound I-280 was designated not to continue east to US 101 from Route 17/today's I-880, but instead followed today's northbound I-880 (as south I-280/north Route 17) to the US 101 cloverleaf!  Based on the early "Yellow Book" map, I've always thought this was only a temporary routing, with the loop through downtown San Jose and Alum Rock considered from the start as the final routing - but I'm not sure about that.
Chris Sampang

TheStranger

Another not-the-same number reverse direction situation:

- Boston-Providence Turnpike between Elm Street and Route 128 in Dedham, MA was once US 1 north, but is now Route 1A south (and vice versa).
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.