Measuring distance to and between cities

Started by golden eagle, July 07, 2010, 11:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: Bickendan on July 08, 2010, 01:18:10 AM
It's either the center point of the city or to the city hall.

The distance to Portland is two miles more than the mileposts on I-84 east of I-205.
Pop quiz: Why? ;)

I've seen that done before on other sections of interstate.  For example, on I-80 eastbound, west of Joliet, the distance signs always state a distance of three miles longer than is necessary to reach downtown.  The reason?  I-80 ended at I-55 for a number of years in the 1960s (until 1966-67) and the mileage was never updated.  The mileage still uses the old route up I-55 to US-52.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Hot Rod Hootenanny

If my experience in following I-10 (and I-12) between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, I'd say Louisiana's distance signs are for the city limits.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: osu-lsu on July 10, 2010, 01:45:22 AM
If my experience in following I-10 (and I-12) between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, I'd say Louisiana's distance signs are for the city limits.

Correct.
To be honest I like it better that way. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather know how far I was from the actual city vs the center of the city. Some people may not even be headed to the city center and could miss an exit because they didn't realize that they were in the actual city.

florida

We also use the center of town/downtown point for mileage here.
So many roads...so little time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.