Interstate Standard: Close Enough!

Started by triplemultiplex, July 08, 2010, 03:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 16, 2010, 11:47:58 AM
Quote from: TheStranger on July 16, 2010, 11:28:20 AM
Since 95 was rerouted on the turnpike, does that make it "up to standards" now?  Basically, the same thing that happened to 95 in Boston and in Washington DC, rerouting onto a bypass.

is it clearly signed, or does one still have to take 295 (either from the south end, bypassing Philly entirely, or the north end, looping southwards) to 195, and then to the NJ Turnpike?  ... and just know to do that by some sheer intuition?  If sheer intuition is needed, because the signage is not there then no, it is not up to standard.

especially if southbound, 95 is signed to continue on the NJ Turnpike past 195 (as it was the last time I was there), which basically implies two parallel non-converging branches.  Even Euclid himself would have a hell of a time with that one.

IIRC, I-95 is signed on the NJTP from the Pennsylvania Turnpike Extension north to US 46, so that segment is fine; it's going west/south into Philly where we have no signed detour route from what I've read.  (I haven't been on the New Jersey Turnpike in years though so I can't confirm myself)
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

Quote from: TheStranger on July 16, 2010, 11:51:26 AM

IIRC, I-95 is signed on the NJTP from the Pennsylvania Turnpike Extension north to US 46, so that segment is fine; it's going west/south into Philly where we have no signed detour route from what I've read.  (I haven't been on the New Jersey Turnpike in years though so I can't confirm myself)

I don't think I've ever driven the NJTPK southbound past I-195, so all I remember is looking backwards when driving northbound and I could swear I saw some 95 shields south of 195.  I think they were in the median, back to back 95 shields for each direction, with no state names if I recall correctly.

Rand McNally definitely has an I-95 shield or two on that segment of the turnpike, at least as of their 2006 or 2007 map. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

deathtopumpkins

You are correct, Jake. When I drove the NJTP in late June there were, IIRC, 95 shields for its entire length. I remember being surprised to see them south of both 195 and the Penna Tpk. However, all the signage both north- and southbound crossing into Delaware make no mention of 95 using the Turnpike.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

SSOWorld

I'm so confused - I'll just have to find out in three weeks.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

agentsteel53

wow, even south of the Penna Turnpike?  Where, ostensibly, 95 will run when that damn interchange is built?  I definitely didn't remember that!

jake@aaroads.com

ATLRedSoxFan

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 16, 2010, 01:31:17 PM
wow, even south of the Penna Turnpike?  Where, ostensibly, 95 will run when that damn interchange is built?  I definitely didn't remember that!

IIRC, I-95 is supposed to follow the Penn TPK Connector accross the Deleware and connect where present I-95 intersects it. At the moment, there isn't an interchange, so that is being constructed, plus that segment accross the river isn't totally up to standards, even though in the last few years there are a couple of I-276 signs...that's what I remember off the top of my head...somebody please feel free to correct me as it been about 5 yrs since I've driven up that way.

signalman

As I remember from my last trip in the NJ Turnpike back in April there was a TO above a 95 shield just south of 195.  I don't recall seeing a shield in either direction south of the Penna Turnpike Extension though.

ATLRedSoxFan

Quote from: signalman on July 16, 2010, 03:30:54 PM
As I remember from my last trip in the NJ Turnpike back in April there was a TO above a 95 shield just south of 195.  I don't recall seeing a shield in either direction south of the Penna Turnpike Extension though.

There are a couple, but you REALLY have to looking for them as they're not in plentiful supply..
It technically is I-276, but as we roadgeeks all know, it just kind of peters out a few miles before the bridges. Crazy... OTOH, I always kind of wondered on the NJTPK side when you approach the Penne TPK Connector/Extension it doen't at least say "To I-276."

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on July 16, 2010, 03:40:46 PMOTOH, I always kind of wondered on the NJTPK side when you approach the Penne TPK Connector/Extension it doen't at least say "To I-276."

Because that would require the NJTA to actually replace some of those beautiful old signs. And we wouldn't want that, now would we? (Unless the Penna Tpk exit has recently replaced signs, I'm not THAT familiar with the NJTP)
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on July 11, 2010, 03:27:33 PM
One of my biggest problems with the way Rand McNally shows them is that they don't indicate interchanges. Rand McNally never shows interchanges except on freeways. I don't know why-an interchange on an expressway isn't different in any signifcant way from one on a freeway. If I'm going to be traveling on an expressway, I'd like to know whether there are interchanges at major road junctions.

I agree with this as well (and would apply it to PA State Map as well).  For example, there are a few places on US-22 where there should be interchange "squares" (The US-119 split east of Blairsville is the first example that came to mind).
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

NJRoadfan

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 16, 2010, 12:55:19 PM
You are correct, Jake. When I drove the NJTP in late June there were, IIRC, 95 shields for its entire length. I remember being surprised to see them south of both 195 and the Penna Tpk. However, all the signage both north- and southbound crossing into Delaware make no mention of 95 using the Turnpike.

South of Exit 6 all of the shields I've seen have "TO" posted on top of them. The Turnpike isn't all that great with reassurance markers, the only proper ones are on the eastern spur just north of the 18W toll plaza (north/south banners). There used to be a state name shield southbound just south of Exit 15E as well. The way its signed, they basically want southbound traffic to stay on the NJTP all the way to Delaware (they have a captive audience, why not?) So I-95 just kinda vanishes, northbound from Exit 6 is better signed.  There are no I-95 signs on the PA Turnpike extension at all.

A while back Ray Martin took the various routes of I-95 and took some photos along the way of the "TO" shields and whats present between Exit 6 and Exit 10.

http://www.njfreeways.com/Interstate_95_Gap.html

Check out the Eastern Bypass photos.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 08, 2010, 03:33:44 PM
Agreed.  a lot of interstates have been grandfathered in.  And you are right, the general public frankly does not care if the shoulders are dirt, or the median is unbarriered, or any number of minor problems.  As long as there are no red lights, it's fine. 

while we're at it, though, can we throw out the Brooklyn-Queens section of I-278?  I can come up with no circumstance under which that route should be an interstate. 

Feh.  The BQE is more entitled to be an Interstate than "I-180" in Wyoming is, and more entitled to its number than "I-238" is.  And the locals all call it the BQE (or the Gowanus, if you're far enough south) anyway.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

KEK Inc.

SR-24 might as well be I-980 all the way into Walnut Creek, CA.  The Caldecot tunnel isn't Interstate perfect, but there are Interstates with drawbridges.  :\

Realistically, I-9 (CA-99) is really close between Grapevine and Sacramento. 

I-3 is also pretty close between LA and San Francisco.  Prunedale and some instances near King City are the only areas I can think of where US-101 gets choppy.   

They recently finished the Mojave bypass for SR-58, so that's some more progress on I-40.  I believe there's still some grade intersections west of Tehachapi and a then 5 corners at the US-395 jct. 

Take the road less traveled.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 16, 2010, 11:21:35 AM
ugh, don't get me started on the 710 in south Pasadena.  Along with the 95 in Somerset County, New Jersey - significantly below standard!  I think even Andy would agree that "right of way still has active residences on it" is completely contrary to the goals and design objectives of a limited-access multilane highway.

"The" 95 does not enter Somerset County.  If you mean the stretch in Mercer County, where are there active residences on it?
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

TheStranger

Quote from: KEK Inc. on August 07, 2010, 09:05:15 PM
Realistically, I-9 (CA-99) is really close between Grapevine and Sacramento. 

The one segment that isn't at all Interstate-standard is probably the odd left-exit and at-grades towards Atwater, but much of Route 99 through there would be okay by current standards. 
I-3 is also pretty close between LA and San Francisco.  Prunedale and some instances near King City are the only areas I can think of where US-101 gets choppy.   

The segment through the canyon at Cuesta Grade (in San Luis Obispo County) still needs much more work before ever being considered freeway-standard, let alone Interstate standard.

Quote from: Michael in Philly
95 does not enter Somerset County.  If you mean the stretch in Mercer County, where are there active residences on it?

IIRC, no segment of what is signed I-95 in New Jersey isn't a freeway (unlike say I-78 through Jersey City between Route 139 and the Holland Tunnel)...from what I understand, 95 in Trenton simply is a short freeway from 295 to the Delaware River, with no at-grades.  (I haven't been on that, but have been on all of 95 along the NJTP and don't recall any non-interchange junctions on the Turnpike stretch.)
Chris Sampang

Michael in Philly

Right.  I've been on that stretch near Trenton countless times, and it's a freeway.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

deathtopumpkins

Jake was making a joke. The fact that I-95 was never built in Somerset County, NJ, makes it "significantly below standard."

agentsteel53

Quote from: Michael in Philly on August 07, 2010, 09:17:49 PM

"The" 95 does not enter Somerset County.  If you mean the stretch in Mercer County, where are there active residences on it?

I think you failed to get the joke!

jake@aaroads.com

Michael in Philly

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 08, 2010, 12:18:49 AM
Quote from: Michael in Philly on August 07, 2010, 09:17:49 PM

I think you failed to get the joke!

So it would seem....
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.