News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Local roads keeping the same name after crossing state lines

Started by golden eagle, August 03, 2010, 12:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

In the Memphis area, Mill Branch Road and Airways Blvd. keep the same name when they cross into Mississippi. I believe Getwell Road does the same thing too. At the Illinois-Wisconsin border, both Green Bay and Sheridan roads keep their names when crossing into the other state. And looking at a map of Chicago, Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30) crosses between Illinois and Indiana with the same name.

huskeroadgeek

There's a whole bunch of these in the Kansas City area. Kansas City, MO and Johnson County, KS use the same numbering system with E-W streets, so there are many E-W numbered streets that carry the same designation across the state line.

Duke87

I'd almost say this is more common than not. All three roads which cross out of Stamford, CT into New York keep their names: East Middle Patent Road, Long Ridge Road (CT 104), and High Ridge Road (CT 137). For some really local roads, try heading to Pemberwick. Most of those residential side streets keep their names on both ides of the state line.

Of course, perhaps the most extreme CT/NY example is King Street. Better known as NY 120A. ;-)
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Duke87 on August 03, 2010, 11:34:43 AM

Of course, perhaps the most extreme CT/NY example is King Street. Better known as NY 120A. ;-)

that changes to CT-120A, no?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Duke87

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 03, 2010, 11:55:12 AM
Quote from: Duke87 on August 03, 2010, 11:34:43 AM
that changes to CT-120A, no?

Nope. The entire road is maintained by NYSDOT, even the parts in Connecticut.

Same goes for I-684.

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Duke87

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alps

Warwick Tpk., NJ-NY, just a county route on either side.  If you look for that border crossing and scroll either way, you'll see plenty more.

NWI_Irish96

Chicago, IL-Hammond, IN: 112th St
Calumet City, IL-Hammond, IN: Sibley Blvd, Webb St, Warren St, Mason St, Ruth St, Waltham St, Elizabeth St, Highland St
Lansing, IL-Munster, IN: Ridge Rd, Terrace Dr
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

tigerwings

A 10 year old thread has been brought back from the dead.

Every road except Detroit St heading north out of Toledo into Michigan keeps its name.

ftballfan

Gumwood Rd keeps its name when it crosses north from Indiana to Michigan. The same can be said for Elkhart Rd, Adamsville Rd, and Cassopolis St.

Big John

WI 31 turns to IL 131 but remains Green Bay Rd on both sides.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on August 03, 2010, 03:04:28 AM
There's a whole bunch of these in the Kansas City area. Kansas City, MO and Johnson County, KS use the same numbering system with E-W streets, so there are many E-W numbered streets that carry the same designation across the state line.

It's not just Johnson County, KS that uses KCMO's numbering system.  Cass County, MO and Miami County, KS also share the numbering system.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: stridentweasel on June 29, 2020, 09:42:55 PM

It's not just Johnson County, KS that uses KCMO's numbering system.  Cass County, MO and Miami County, KS also share the numbering system.

As I know - I live in KC. I think the numbered streets in Miami County go as high as the 400's.

jflick99

It has always irked me that Wyandotte County had to be different. This caused an intersection with multiple 47th Streets on the county line. To thier credit, they matched up with KCMO with E-W numbered avenues in Rosedale.

I wonder if this was a result of the original cities being far enough apart that it might not have mattered?

DandyDan

Abbott Dr., Locust St. And Avenue H between Omaha, NE and Carter Lake, Iowa. Avenue J retains the name in Omaha despite not being continuous with Carter Lake's Avenue J.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Ned Weasel

Quote from: jflick99 on June 29, 2020, 11:38:35 PM

It has always irked me that Wyandotte County had to be different. This caused an intersection with multiple 47th Streets on the county line. To thier credit, they matched up with KCMO with E-W numbered avenues in Rosedale.

I wonder if this was a result of the original cities being far enough apart that it might not have mattered?

The intersection of 47th Street and 47th Street could be easily resolved if Johnson County just re-named its 47th Street as 47th Avenue, or adopted Wyandotte County's County Line Road name for it, the latter option only being prudent if Johnson County doesn't officially use "County Line Road" for 215th Street.

For what it's worth Wyandotte County's street numbering system also extends into Leavenworth County.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

1995hoo

DC crossing into Maryland (not counting several that keep the same name but with a different suffix, such as Carroll Street NW becoming Carroll Avenue):

• Clara Barton Parkway
  • Dalecarlia Place
  • Little Falls Road
  • MacArthur Boulevard
  • Massachusetts Avenue
  • River Road
  • Harrison Street
  • Wisconsin Avenue
  • Oliver Street
  • Connecticut Avenue
  • Nevada Avenue
  • Broad Branch Road
  • Greenvale Street
  • Beach Drive
  • 16th Street
  • Portal Drive
  • 13th Street
  • Georgia Avenue
  • Juniper Street
  • Blair Road
  • Brummel Court
  • Piney Branch Road
  • Sligo Mill Road
  • New Hampshire Avenue
  • Peabody Street
  • Riggs Road
  • Sargent Road
  • Varnum Street
  • Perry Street
  • Rhode Island Avenue
  • Bladensburg Road
  • Kenilworth Avenue
  • Olive Street
  • Sheriff Road
  • East Capitol Street
  • Central Avenue
  • Fable Street
  • Benning Road
  • Pennsylvania Avenue
  • Suitland Road
  • Branch Avenue
  • Naylor Road
  • Suitland Parkway
  • Wheeler Road

Virginia into DC:

• Washington Boulevard
  • Memorial Avenue
  • Arlington Boulevard
  • Chain Bridge Road (per a street sign at the DC end of Chain Bridge)
(I suppose you could count the George Washington Memorial Parkway as a local road.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Quote from: jflick99 on June 29, 2020, 11:38:35 PM

It may have to do with KCK being bashed together from a bunch of different municipalities. Rosedale, Argentine, and Turner were all independent towns at one point.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jmacswimmer

A few around Elkton MD/Newark DE:
-PA/MD/DE 896 New London Road
-Barksdale Road
-MD/DE 279 Elkton Road
-Chestnut Hill Road
-I-95 JFK Memorial Highway (sort of)
-US 40 Pulaski Highway
-Frenchtown Road

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 30, 2020, 08:01:09 AM
DC crossing into Maryland:
[snipped]
Virginia into DC:
[snipped]

Capital Beltway? :bigass:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

1995hoo

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 30, 2020, 08:59:00 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 30, 2020, 08:01:09 AM
DC crossing into Maryland:
[snipped]
Virginia into DC:
[snipped]

Capital Beltway? :bigass:

I didn't construe that as a "local road" because it's an Interstate highway. That's also why I listed the GW Parkway in the way I did–as a general matter, I interpret "local road" as meaning either a surface street or an arterial that primarily functions as a surface street despite possibly having some segments that use interchanges instead (Washington Boulevard and Arlington Boulevard fall into the latter category). The GW Parkway doesn't fall within either of those categories, but it also doesn't quite rise to the level of an Interstate.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US71

Zero St
Phoenix Ave
Texas Rd
Ft Smith, AR and Arloma, OK , but none are more than a couple blocks long in Arkoma.

Race Track Rd
Durham Ave
Ft Smith and Pocola, OK,  again only a few blocks long in Oklahoma

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

RobbieL2415

According to GMaps, I-84 remains named as the Wilbur Cross Highway in MA.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ftballfan on June 29, 2020, 08:10:25 PM
Gumwood Rd keeps its name when it crosses north from Indiana to Michigan. The same can be said for Elkhart Rd, Adamsville Rd, and Cassopolis St.

While all of those are known unofficially by those names on the Indiana side of the border, they are officially known as CR 5, CR 7, and IN 19. IN 19 does pick up the official title of Cassopolis St once inside the Elkhart city limits, but there's a 2 mile gap where IN 19 is the only official name.

Chicago Rd, Orange Rd, Mayflower Rd, Portage Rd and Ironwood Rd are other St Joseph County roads in addition to Gumwood that keep their names in Michigan.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.