Nearest Freeway Segment You've Never Driven

Started by webny99, July 16, 2018, 03:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Some interstates and other freeways, even in our own local areas, are positioned such that we never, or rarely, have a reason to use them.
So I ask, what is the nearest freeway segment to you that you've never been on?

I live on the east side of the Rochester, NY, metro, which makes this segment of the thruway particularly hard to find a use for. I'd only use it when traveling between two places other than home - say Buffalo to Syracuse, or maybe even Henrietta to Victor. In my case, that set of circumstances never aligned until just a few years ago. So there was 12 miles of freeway that was a mere 8 miles from home, that I had never seen in person up until I was 15. As for now, I think this segment of NY 33 in Buffalo, at 68 linear miles away, takes the cake. I've been on every freeway closer than that multiple times.

hotdogPi

The tip of the Circumferential Highway in Nashua, about 15 miles away.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Eth

While I know I've been on at least some of Ronald Reagan Pkwy in Gwinnett County, I'm fairly sure I haven't clinched it. That's about 15 miles from me.

CNGL-Leudimin

A recently opened (July 2nd) section of (Spanish) A-23 North of me. However I'll be clinching it next Sunday. Before and after, it is a large chunk of AP-2. I didn't get to see the parallel N-2 road until two years ago, and the fact it's tolled makes it even harder for me to use it.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CtrlAltDel

As an inhabitant of the Chicago area, for me, it's either the part of I-355 south of I-55, or that little bit of I-65 between I-90 and I-80/94.

For both of these, it's due to these segments being out of the way for the routings I commonly travel.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jakeroot

Since I'm right in between them, it's a toss-up:

- I've never driven any of the Vancouver Island freeways. I've only been there on foot. Only a couple hours drive/boat ride from Seattle.
- Never driven OR-217 (the Beaverton-Tigard Hwy). About 2.5 hrs from Seattle.

I've driven every freeway in Vancouver (the Lower Mainland) and Seattle. Most recent clinch was BC-11 (the Abbotsford-Mission Hwy); both sections in Abbotsford and Mission.

TheStranger

Although my family has driven me down the 580 segment from Altamont to Vernalis numerous times (to reach 5) during trips to Southern California, I've never actually myself used it as a driver - I've taken 4 Bay Area to SoCal roadtrips via US 101, and one Sacramento to LA trip via 99.  (It's about 61 miles east of me)

I'm not sure if I've traveled along the Route 12 freeway in Santa Rosa (62 miles to my north), I think I may have briefly a few years back.

On the other hand, I've never even been on the short Route 132 freeway (as noted by sparker in another thread, part of the originally proposed I-5W corridor of the 1950s!) from 580 to 5, and that is approximately 73 miles east of me.
Chris Sampang

Max Rockatansky

ce929wax

US 131 North of Exit 91, US 127 North of Lansing are the two closest to me.

GaryV

Probably parts of I-96 south of the Davison.

HazMatt

Part of All American Freeway in Fayetteville.

1995hoo

The eastern end of the Intercounty Connector (MD-200) between I-95 and US-1.

For the nearest one never travelled at all in whole or in part, I'm pretty sure it'd be I-795 near Baltimore.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Hurricane Rex

WA SR 14 between mp 1-3 is my closest. It is about 40 minutes away.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

wxfree

My answer is easy.  It's the toll road along the south end of TX 360 (the highway runs only along the frontage roads, which I've been on many times), about 20 miles away.  This is because it's only been open for 2 months.

Other than that, it's probably US 80 in east Dallas, about 50 miles away.  I live south of Dallas and have never had a reason to go that way.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

vdeane

The closest for me is MA 57 near Springfield.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

formulanone

I-22 between AL 233 and MS 23; the only bit of interstate left for me to clinch, in order to "complete" both states' interstate networks.
>> Completed, 10/2018

There's some parts of I-40 west of Nashville I don't think I've driven before; west of I-24 and TN 100. I haven't completed all of the nearby Briley Parkway (TN 155). 

ilpt4u

For me, would have to be parts of the STL Beltway, mainly I/IL 255 from its Northern Terminus, South and then West to I-270 (at the MO I-55 junction) and then North on I-270 until about I-64...Matter of fact, I don't think I have ever traveled on any segment of the I/IL 255 Freeway

I-44 leaving STL to the Southwest

And some of the Kentucky Parkways in Western KY (until very recently, pretty much all the Kentucky Parkways) such as the Purchase and the Pennyrile (depending on how the Pennyrile is defined, I may have traveled one Exit length between the Audubon and KY 425)

The old I-164 in Indiana, now known as I-69 between I-64 and Evansville

wanderer2575

Nearest to me would be parts of I-69 between Flint and Port Huron, MI.

hbelkins

Any freeway portions of the Ronald Reagan Cross-County Highway in Cincinnati.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jon daly

Quote from: vdeane on July 16, 2018, 08:03:53 PM
The closest for me is MA 57 near Springfield.

I think that I clinched that when I was in my 20s, worked 2nd shift, and took pointless drives. I'll have to check, but if I didn't clinch that, it's the closest one. Otherwise, it might be the Northway north of Saratoga. or some freeway in Maine.

Beltway

I can't think of any freeway segment in Virginia, Maryland or D.C. that I have not driven.

Probably the NC-540 Triangle Expressway in N.C.  I almost used it as part of an alternate routing on a trip to Florida in Sept. 2016 when I-95 near Fayetteville was closed due to tropical storm flooding, but the segment reopened a couple days before my trip.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Bruce

Within Washington: only Interstate 82 between Yakima and Oregon (plus I-182).

Vancouver Island's freeways would technically be closer, along with some other roads in the Fraser Valley.

kj3400

The spur of I-895 that leads to I-97 and MD 2.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

Kulerage

The part of I-540 between US 1 (in the north) and US 64/264.

mrcmc888

For me it's the segment of I-640 in Knoxville east of the I-75/275 interchange.  Given that I live in West Knoxville and use I-40 when I need to head east and I-75 when I need to head north, it should really come as no surprise.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.