News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Rockford, IL freeway improvements

Started by Truvelo, August 12, 2009, 02:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truvelo

I was looking at some of the pictures I took last month and this one showing the I-90/I-39 interchange caught my attention as the layout doesn't agree with that on Google Earth.

A quick search on Google came up with a project to replace the inner loop ramp with a direct connector - the flyover visible in my picture.

Another part of the project involves the reconstruction of two more interchanges, one at Harrison Ave and other other at I-39/US-20. The project website describes the I-39/US-20 interchange as a three legged non-standard design but it looks more like an incomplete cloverleaf with an unbuilt road meant to be heading due north. Alongside Sandhutton Ave is a line of empty land just wide enough for a freeway but where it would have gone seems to be a mystery?
Speed limits limit life

SSOWorld

The Illinois Tollway is rebuilding all over the place.  This was under construction for two years already.  They're expanding the highway to 6 lanes between I-39 S and the north end of the toll road proper.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

exit322

Well, if you're going to charge for the road, it's probably appropriate to upgrade it.

I will say, though, the Oases are the best service plazas I've been to in this country.

leifvanderwall

I think Michigan drivers ought to be jealous of Illinois, because it seems the Illinois DOT are always improving roads and/or building new super highways. Michigan has made a little headway in improvements: Making I-75 8 lanes and building a new I-94-US 131 interchange. Of course, what's helping Illinois is the money it is getting from its toll system. Other than the tollways, is Illinois doing something Michigan isn't when comes to funding for roads.

Brandon

Leif,

No, Illinois isn't really doing anything different than Michigan from what I can see.  The only roads in Illinois that get serious upgrades are the tollways, and that money comes from the ISTHA selling bonds and collecting tolls.
Based on what I see between ISTHA and IDiOT, I'd rather toll the freeways and have them properly maintained.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

mightyace

Quote from: Brandon on September 29, 2009, 05:53:24 PM
Based on what I see between ISTHA and IDiOT, I'd rather toll the freeways and have them properly maintained.

As opposed to Pennsylvania where it's debatable whether PennDot of the PTC does better.  :pan:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

mgk920

Quote from: Brandon on September 29, 2009, 05:53:24 PM
Leif,

No, Illinois isn't really doing anything different than Michigan from what I can see.  The only roads in Illinois that get serious upgrades are the tollways, and that money comes from the ISTHA selling bonds and collecting tolls.
And I was totally FLOORED at how absolutely GORGEOUS the part of the Tri-State Tollway (I-94) that is completed at the north end was when I drove it a few weeks ago - I don't think that I've ever seen a major highway look as great as that one.  Besides the beautiful new mostly eight-lane concrete and so forth, the ISTHA installed streetlights on the whole thing.

:wow:

:clap:

I can only hope that the work being done on I-94 in both Wisconsin and the IDOT section by the state line will come halfway close.

Mike

Revive 755

Quote from: mightyace
Quote from: Brandonased on what I see between ISTHA and IDiOT, I'd rather toll the freeways and have them properly maintained.
As opposed to Pennsylvania where it's debatable whether PennDot of the PTC does better.

At least the PTC numbers their exits.

SSOWorld

Quote from: mgk920 on October 01, 2009, 10:51:31 PM

And I was totally FLOORED at how absolutely GORGEOUS the part of the Tri-State Tollway (I-94) that is completed at the north end was when I drove it a few weeks ago - I don't think that I've ever seen a major highway look as great as that one.  Besides the beautiful new mostly eight-lane concrete and so forth, the ISTHA installed streetlights on the whole thing.

:wow:

:clap:

I can only hope that the work being done on I-94 in both Wisconsin and the IDOT section by the state line will come halfway close.

Mike
You won't see as beautiful a highway in WI, or the IDOT portion (of which both are under construction as we speak of course).  Wisconsin doesn't put lights on freeways except for Milwaukee and some of Madison (Don't ask why Eau Claire gets lights on US 53 either :/)  The lights on the tri-state are an ISTHA thing.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.