News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-94 in Wisconsin South of Milwaukee

Started by SSOWorld, August 30, 2009, 06:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Construction was started this year on a multi-year project to completely rebuild the freeway and all of its interchanges (the southernmost one in WI).  This freeway had interchanges that had ramps criss-crossing with frontage roads, rural type interchanges in urban settings, narrow lanes, and left exits, and it is also is deteriorating and exceeding it's limits. 

The scissor-crossings with frontage roads (in Racine and Kenosha Counties) are being removed.  The Mitchell Interchange (I-894/I-94) is being rebuilt with I-894 exiting off to the right of the mainline.  The Airport spur is being rebuilt into a boulevard style road (don't ask what that means :ded: ).  etc, etc, etc

just as with the Marquette Interchange, a website was built to describe/keep updates on the project

http://www.plan94.org/

Several interchanges/overpasses are already started along the corridor.  Mainline reconstruction has started at the southernmost end of the project.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mightyace

From an aesthetics point of view, I like the crossovers of the frontage roads and the exit ramps, but I can see how they're not the safest way to go.  It was always a neat feature of the final miles into Milwaukee area when visiting my mother's relatives.

I'm wondering why they didn't do like Texas does and make the frontage roads one-way.  Then the exit ramps could still go onto and off of the frontage roads albeit at the expense of "wrong way" travel.  This would be much easier and much less consuming of resources (time, money, land) than what they are doing.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

wandering drive

About time they started fixing that road, I haven't been down there too many times, but there always seemed to be way more cars than that road could handle.
I agree with mightyace about the frontage roads, they should really be one-way so traffic can smoothly maneuver around incidents, like a crash I ended up behind for an hour one evening.  Didn't stop people from going the wrong way up the ramps and cruising down the frontage roads.  :banghead:
Those scissor exits are scary, though.  There is a pair of them at Todd Drive on Madison's beltline that I never feel careful enough going through.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.