News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"Tame Deer To Chew Ribbon, Open Bypass"

Started by kurumi, November 28, 2009, 12:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

This Nov. 3, 1960 article in the Hartford Courant turned out to be concerning a road just outside the Nutmeg State... the Nov. 4 opening of the US 10 bypass in Midland, Michigan. If the deer didn't chew on schedule, "four pretty girls dressed in hunting outfits" (the article's words, not mine) would cut the ribbon, presumably with scissors, though that wasn't made explicit.

The bypass would serve a lot of deer hunter traffic in-season... hence the hunting theme of the opening.

What unique ribbon cuttings have they had in your neck of the woods?

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

hbelkins

Nothing that fancy, but we did stretch a ribbon across a parking lot a few years ago instead of the actual road, because it was deemed too cold to have the entire ceremony outside. We had the ceremony in a community center gym and then tied a ribbon to two gold-painted traffic cones for the officials to cut.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Terry Shea

Quote from: kurumi on November 28, 2009, 12:33:52 AM
This Nov. 3, 1960 article in the Hartford Courant turned out to be concerning a road just outside the Nutmeg State... the Nov. 4 opening of the US 10 bypass in Midland, Michigan. If the deer didn't chew on schedule, "four pretty girls dressed in hunting outfits" (the article's words, not mine) would cut the ribbon, presumably with scissors, though that wasn't made explicit.

The bypass would serve a lot of deer hunter traffic in-season... hence the hunting theme of the opening.

What unique ribbon cuttings have they had in your neck of the woods?

At first I thought this was a recent project that I had somehow missed...and then I saw the date.  :)

Sykotyk

Funny, at first glance I thought "Tame Deer" and "Chew Ribbon" were towns somewhere.

Haha

Sykotyk

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.