Study: No need for new Indianapolis beltway

Started by Revive 755, February 04, 2010, 12:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

http://www.in.gov/indot/3070.htm

Though I haven't read all of the documents, I have doubts about I-465 adequately handling any future through traffic on I-69, despite what the study says.

leifvanderwall

Do you think I-69 from Evansville to I-465 would create more headaches in the Indy area? I think it would take many years for any volume on I-69 to create any jams anywhere and that section does not even exist yet. Eventhough a few states have I-69 signed, don't hold your breath till the corridor is built anytime soon. Building I-69 has been slow going in 7 states. All they would have to do with I-465 is just add a couple more lanes; maybe have a set of two lanes for express and three for local traffic. You know I-74 is signed with I-465 for a little ways and I don't think the volume of 74 is clogging up the bypass.

tdindy88

Although 74 carries a lot less traffic than 69 will "if" it fully built as a cooridor to connect Canada and Mexico, but as you've said, that's still a long ways ahead. 69 is designated to be more of a cross country route, such as I-75 or I-5, so comparing it with a road that connects Cincinnati and the Quad Cities may not be too fair, but we are still many years down the road from that completion. I do think though once 69 is connected to 37 in Bloomington the route to Evansville will be essentially complete. I thought I saw something a while ago though that stated that they wanted to bring 69 up to I-70 somewhere out by Plainfield instead of following it though the southside. If that were to happen, couldn't they just route 69 along 70 through the city over to the eastside and then bring that north to the current alignment. Much of that cooridor is already widened to 4 lanes or more (except from the South Split to 465 by the airport). Besides, they would finally be able to say that I-69 goes downtown. All that aisde, 465 on the southside should be widened anyway, and that interchange at 65 south completely redone, 69 or not.

Revive 755

I think there could be further growth/sprawl along the IN 37 corridor between Indianapolis and Bloomington once this corridor is upgraded.  That plus a large percentage of trucks could significantly change operations on I-465.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.