News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-69 in LA (and LA 3132/Shreveport Inner Loop Extension)

Started by Grzrd, April 27, 2011, 06:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcdonaat

Quote from: Anthony_JK on May 15, 2012, 11:55:22 PM
Plus..since the segment of I-49 between LA 3132 and I-20 does connect between two interstates, an even numbered 3di would suffice (I-449??)

Now, if they do decide to kill the ICC or go with a "low build" part freeway/part boulevard connection (yuck!!!!) and reroute I-49 around the city using LA 3132 and I-220, then there may be the potential for an "I-49 Business" using the old I-49 corridor plus the new downtown "boulevard" connection to I-49 North....but Louisiana doesn't do Interstate business routes, as we all know.
We do have Business routes! They're never I-XX business routes though... our main bannered Interstates, if you've ever been to New Orleans, just take on regular numbers (I-10 Truck = I-510, I-10 Bypass = I-610, I-10 Spur = I-310). I'd see I-49 north of 3132 as I-149, or I could even see 3132 Spur being placed along the corridor. Maybe even designate it as LA 1 Bypass? If I-49 in Alexandria is US 71 Bypass, then I-49 in Shreveport can be LA 1 Bypass.

agentsteel53

Quote from: mcdonaat on May 16, 2012, 06:04:15 PMour main bannered Interstates, if you've ever been to New Orleans, just take on regular numbers

I've never heard of anyone referring to any interstate with those banners.

well, there is a "Truck I-278" in NYC, but that is it.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mcdonaat

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 16, 2012, 06:08:32 PM
Quote from: mcdonaat on May 16, 2012, 06:04:15 PMour main bannered Interstates, if you've ever been to New Orleans, just take on regular numbers

I've never heard of anyone referring to any interstate with those banners.

well, there is a "Truck I-278" in NYC, but that is it.
I think you know the guy that rides around and takes the pictures of the Interstate guide signs... take a look at I-220, and you have By-Pass 220. I could see I-620 being used, or I-249. By the way, tell the guy who makes the website that the Interstate Guide Sign Manager has the site bookmarked! There are fans high up who look at the site.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: mcdonaat on May 16, 2012, 06:14:09 PM
I think you know the guy that rides around and takes the pictures of the Interstate guide signs... take a look at I-220, and you have By-Pass 220. I could see I-620 being used, or I-249. By the way, tell the guy who makes the website that the Interstate Guide Sign Manager has the site bookmarked! There are fans high up who look at the site.

where is this photo of a By-Pass I-220?  can you give us the link?

generally, do you refer to the shield gallery?  if so, I am the one who runs it, and we have lots of contributors - some of whom I indeed know in person.

jake@aaroads.com

mcdonaat

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 16, 2012, 06:24:54 PM
Quote from: mcdonaat on May 16, 2012, 06:14:09 PM

where is this photo of a By-Pass I-220?  can you give us the link?

generally, do you refer to the shield gallery?  if so, I am the one who runs it, and we have lots of contributors - some of whom I indeed know in person.
Not the shield gallery, but the Interstate Guide site.

http://www.southeastroads.com/louisiana020/i-020_eb_exit_011_03.jpg

agentsteel53

I thought that was I-220, and the 'By-Pass' designation was just clarifying its purpose with respect to I-20.  Am I not correct?  is there both a regular and bannered 220?

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 16, 2012, 06:34:15 PM
I thought that was I-220, and the 'By-Pass' designation was just clarifying its purpose with respect to I-20.  Am I not correct?  is there both a regular and bannered 220?
Pretty damn certain there's only one 220.

mcdonaat

Quote from: Steve on May 16, 2012, 06:47:59 PM
Only one 220, but it seems like the state HAS to designate it as By-Pass 220. 110 isn't designated as a SPUR 110, and 210 isn't designated as By-Pass 210.

Alps

Quote from: mcdonaat on May 16, 2012, 06:53:33 PM
Only one 220, but it seems like the state HAS to designate it as By-Pass 220. 110 isn't designated as a SPUR 110, and 210 isn't designated as By-Pass 210.
Before you make a loaded statement like that, check state law. My guess is that it's just LADOTD signing it that way to take through traffic off 20.

mcdonaat

Quote from: Steve on May 16, 2012, 07:03:49 PM
Quote from: mcdonaat on May 16, 2012, 06:53:33 PM
Before you make a loaded statement like that, check state law. My guess is that it's just LADOTD signing it that way to take through traffic off 20.
The only thing is... state law says nothing. Went to the DOTD, the lady said state law only pertains to route numbers, not banners. Our state uses the MUTCD, with no state supplement. It's why Clearview is going up EVERYWHERE :/

My only guess is that, since 20 actually is faster than 220, they want to designate 220 with a Bypass... when you look at a sign and see EAST 20 and EAST 220, the careless eye could mistake the two 2's for one. Baton Rouge's 110 has two control points, and its green. The 10 sign at the same intersection has black, yellow, and green, and just has one control point. Our DOTD is weird though, on 49, it carries US 71 Bypass around Alexandria, but no actual signs exist for US 71 Byp other than the BGS.

Grzrd

Quote from: mcdonaat on May 15, 2012, 05:30:12 PM
Contrary to probably what would be done, I wouldn't mind 220 being spun off of I-69, skirting the edge of Barksdale. You would have people more willing to travel from Bossier or Minden to the south of Shreveport via I-69, and the I-220/I-69 concurrency would let drivers have a single number to follow. Upgrading the La. 157 corridor could end up being the answer, making a true Shreveport/Bossier loop. Any thoughts?

Looking at the NLCOG Transportation Committee March 15 Draft Minutes, plans for I-220 going into Barksdale were discussed:

III. Executive Director's Report
Mr. Rogers discussed the MAP‐21 transportation bill the Senate passed that was being held due to further amendments. He stated it was an 18‐month pay/go re‐authorization. Mr. Rogers stated the bill would streamline the environmental process for projects and would provide expansion for the military access program (I‐220 into Barksdale AFB access) ....
Mr. Rogers also discussed the recent CC to DC trip and stated he spoke with the local and state delegates regarding various highway projects including ... the I‐220 entrance into BAFB ....
e. I‐220 at BAFB Update — Interchange Modification Report (IMR)
Mr. Rogers stated the IMR was required to run another analysis for a 20‐year build‐out. He stated the worse‐case scenario had already been run so this additional analysis was a small task.

The reference to "the I-220 entrance into BAFB" indicates that the project does not seem to contemplate an "I-220 through route" through the base to possibly connect to I-69; however, the reference to a "20-yr. build-out" makes me wonder if a larger project is in the works (possibly a better loop around Shreveport/ Bossier City?)

Does anyone know any details about this project?

Anthony_JK

Quote from: mcdonaat on May 16, 2012, 06:04:15 PM
Plus..since the segment of I-49 between LA 3132 and I-20 does connect between two interstates, an even numbered 3di would suffice (I-449??)

Now, if they do decide to kill the ICC or go with a "low build" part freeway/part boulevard connection (yuck!!!!) and reroute I-49 around the city using LA 3132 and I-220, then there may be the potential for an "I-49 Business" using the old I-49 corridor plus the new downtown "boulevard" connection to I-49 North....but Louisiana doesn't do Interstate business routes, as we all know.
We do have Business routes! They're never I-XX business routes though... our main bannered Interstates, if you've ever been to New Orleans, just take on regular numbers (I-10 Truck = I-510, I-10 Bypass = I-610, I-10 Spur = I-310). I'd see I-49 north of 3132 as I-149, or I could even see 3132 Spur being placed along the corridor. Maybe even designate it as LA 1 Bypass? If I-49 in Alexandria is US 71 Bypass, then I-49 in Shreveport can be LA 1 Bypass.

Ahhhh...no. There are NO designated Interstate business routes in Louisiana.

And NO, you do NOT downgrade an Interstate highway to a spur of a 4-digit state highway. Louisiana doesn't even have Spur routes anymore.

Finally, the only reason why I-49 in Alexandria between MacArthur Drive and the former North Traffic Circle (now an interchange) was designated as "US 71 Bypass" was to essentially get through traffic off of MacArthur Drive and put a US Highway shield on the Pineville Expressway.

mcdonaat

Quote from: Anthony_JK on May 16, 2012, 10:12:31 PM
Quote from: mcdonaat on May 16, 2012, 06:04:15 PM

Ahhhh...no. There are NO designated Interstate business routes in Louisiana.

And NO, you do NOT downgrade an Interstate highway to a spur of a 4-digit state highway. Louisiana doesn't even have Spur routes anymore.

Finally, the only reason why I-49 in Alexandria between MacArthur Drive and the former North Traffic Circle (now an interchange) was designated as "US 71 Bypass" was to essentially get through traffic off of MacArthur Drive and put a US Highway shield on the Pineville Expressway.
From what I believe, we do have SPUR state routes... maybe not so much in rural areas, but there is SPUR 2, SPUR 3, SPUR 8, SPUR 10, SPUR 327 (all Louisiana routes).

US 71 By-Pass was slapped onto I-49, but that's where the mistake is. US 167 is ALSO cosigned with I-49 from MacArthur Drive to the Pineville Expwy, but the Pineville Expwy doesn't carry US 71. US 167 has always followed the Expressway, at least since they finished the route way before I-49 was brought through Alexandria.

If Shreveport wants to keep I-49 along its alignment, it's going to be dumb to have two through Interstates, and the connector road is an Interstate for 2/3 of the circle, and the other third is a state road. I do see I-49 as going around Shreveport, and the current segment of I-49 as I-120, and LA 1 By-Pass being cosigned with LA 3132 to I-49, then cosigned with I-120 to 20, then back to LA 1.

bassoon1986

I'm pretty sure they will not ever sign a LA 1 By-pass in Shreveport. No one uses LA 1 for a through route below south Shreveport. I grew up north of Shreveport and I would either take 1 thru town, 220/3132 to LA 526 to get to retail in South Shreveport or use the Clyde Fant Parkway on the river. If people wanted to avoid LA 1 thru town it would be fairly obvious to take 220 around and it wouldn't need a LA 1 bypass. Granted Natchitoches has a LA 1 bypass but thats only because the thru route in the historic part of downtown is mostly 25 mph, brick streets, and a college campus.

When I-49 north from 220 to AR is completed, whether the ICC ever comes to pass, it won't matter if 49 gets signed around the loop and over the Cross Lake Bridge or not. That's what traffic uses now anyway. If you come from Alexandria and go north, unless you plan on stopping, you take the loop west and north of town. I really doubt that people southbound take 1/71 into downtown and then 20 over to 49 south.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on February 29, 2012, 03:59:24 PM
Of note is that SIU 15 has been divided into five sections and Section 3, which includes a bridge over the Red River, is envisioned to be built first:
SIU 15 – Haughton La – Stonewall La.
Project Management Plan
Prior to the issues with the Pecan Station an initial Project Management Plan was being developed. Part of this process is to identify segments for implementation and a prioritization of those segments. SIU 15 is divided into 5 segments. The consultant team meet with our Technical members and are recommending the following Priority for implementation:
Segment 3 – Red River Crossing LA 1 to US 71
Segment 2 – I-49 to LA 1
Segment 4 – US 71 to LA 157
Segment 5 – LA 157 to I-20
Segment 1 – US 171 to I-49
Quote from: Grzrd on May 15, 2012, 01:05:38 PM
Maybe the FEIS for SIU 15 will be announced in the near future, too ....
I guess it is fair to interpret the above as saying the expectation is that SIU 15 will be completed around 2025.

I recently received an email update from NLCOG which clarified that only the first segment of SIU 15, the Red River crossing, is expected to be completed by 2025 and that the SIU 15 FEIS is expected to come out before September 2012:

We anticipate the FEIS for I-69 SIU-15 coming out before September 2012. With the full funding of I-49 North (i.e. Northwest LA's consensus highest priority project for the last 20 years), four or five regionally/nationally significant transportation projects will be vying for local/state/federal funding, political, and public support going forward. I-69 SIU-15 is one of those significant projects. Realistically, we're looking at the 2030 to 2035 timeframe before the entire SIU-15 is open for travel. However, the first section that could be completed by 2025, as identified in the Project Mgnt' Plan (PMP), is the Red River Bridge Crossing at the Port of Caddo/Bossier.

Quote from: Grzrd on May 16, 2012, 08:08:57 PM
Looking at the NLCOG Transportation Committee March 15 Draft Minutes, plans for I-220 going into Barksdale were discussed

I also received some email info about the I-220/Barksdale project (I-220 will never go through Barksdale):

Another regionally/nationally significant project is the Modified I-20/I-220 interchange and new gate access road to Barksdale AFB. Currently, we're completing the public-side of the EIS regarding this project. The base-side (restricted) environmental analysis is complete. In an effort to maintain control of access and secure the base itself,  DoD will not allow a publically accessible, new interstate/freeway classified roadway to traverse through Barksdale AFB property. Further, the land area located on the east side of the reservation is a secured weapons stockpile/storage area. I-220 will never be extended south through Barksdale AFB.

mgk920

Yea, Barksdale is where the B-52 bomber fleet calls home.  Sad to say it, but if I-220 is to be extended around the southeast quadrant of the Shreveport area, it'll have to loop around the base well to the east by Haughton, LA where (where I-69 will be going?) - but not too much farther east, there's an Army ammo plant just east of Haughton.

Mike

mcdonaat

Quote from: bassoon1986 on May 18, 2012, 12:38:45 AM
I'm pretty sure they will not ever sign a LA 1 By-pass in Shreveport. No one uses LA 1 for a through route below south Shreveport. I grew up north of Shreveport and I would either take 1 thru town, 220/3132 to LA 526 to get to retail in South Shreveport or use the Clyde Fant Parkway on the river. If people wanted to avoid LA 1 thru town it would be fairly obvious to take 220 around and it wouldn't need a LA 1 bypass. Granted Natchitoches has a LA 1 bypass but thats only because the thru route in the historic part of downtown is mostly 25 mph, brick streets, and a college campus.

When I-49 north from 220 to AR is completed, whether the ICC ever comes to pass, it won't matter if 49 gets signed around the loop and over the Cross Lake Bridge or not. That's what traffic uses now anyway. If you come from Alexandria and go north, unless you plan on stopping, you take the loop west and north of town. I really doubt that people southbound take 1/71 into downtown and then 20 over to 49 south.
The only idea was to give people a single number to follow. Most of my family still takes I-49 North into Shreveport, then I-20 west to Dallas, instead of 3132, because 3132 is a state highway, and they swear to the bone that it has about 10 stoplights. If the state decides to put up Clearview, even for a year or two before I-49 is signed through Shreveport to the north, my request is that TO I-49 is slapped on there.

By the way, does anyone know what the purpose of the "Southern Loop" is? It most definitely does NOT make a loop

Anthony_JK

So. most likely, the "Southern Loop" wil basically consist of an extension of LA 3132 to LA 1, then an upgrade of LA 1 to where I-69 is proposed to meet it, and then I-69 to I-20 near Haughton. Am I correct??

And, to answer mcdonaat, if Shreveport and/or LaDOTD wanted I-49 to be diverted via I-220/LA 3132, they would have requested it when the remaining segments of I-49 North was committed. That they haven't, and that they have proposed that I-49 be routed through I-20 rather than LA 3132 says a lot about their ultimate routing.

Sure, traffic using I-20 to I-49 coming to/from South Louisiana to/from Dallas and points west would use LA 3132, but I'm betting the farm that traffic going to downtown Shreveport and north to Texarkana, and NE from there to Little Rock and beyond would much rather take I-49 to I-20 to LA 1 to I-220 to reach I-49 North. And when the ICC is constructed, it will further diminish the need for using LA 3132/I-220, since it will allow for a much more direct N/S route. Heck, it could even relieve congestion on LA 1.

BTW...do they still refer to LA 3132 as the "Terry Bradshaw Passway"??? Or is it still most likely called "Inner Loop"??

Anthony

mcdonaat

People still refer to it as 3132, not the "Terry Bradshaw Passway." It's the same with US 190, nobody refers to it as the "Acadian Trail," just 190

bassoon1986

Everyone in Shreveport calls it the Inner Loop. The "Terry Bradshaw" thing just got tacked on to that southwest quadrant from 20 to 49 bc he grew up near Linwood Ave. and graduated high school there.

I cannot remember if there were ever more long term plans for Southern Loop. It was mainly meant to give the Southern Trace area of affluent homes east of 49 a connection to the interstate. Otherwise they'd have a longer commute into Shreveport up Ellerbe Rd. Also was supposed to give relief to Linwood Ave traffic coming north in the mornings.

mcdonaat

Quote from: bassoon1986 on May 20, 2012, 06:03:16 PM
Everyone in Shreveport calls it the Inner Loop. The "Terry Bradshaw" thing just got tacked on to that southwest quadrant from 20 to 49 bc he grew up near Linwood Ave. and graduated high school there.

I cannot remember if there were ever more long term plans for Southern Loop. It was mainly meant to give the Southern Trace area of affluent homes east of 49 a connection to the interstate. Otherwise they'd have a longer commute into Shreveport up Ellerbe Rd. Also was supposed to give relief to Linwood Ave traffic coming north in the mornings.
I'm hoping it eventually conencts to 171, and maybe LA 1.

Grzrd

The LA 3132 Inner Loop Extension soap opera continues ...

This Shreveport Times article reports that the Shreveport City Council is remanding the appeal of a road decision that might impact the future route of LA 3132 back to the Metropolitan Planning Commission and that Councilman Joe Shyne opposes any possible obstruction to the completion of state Highway 3132:

The Shreveport City Council opted to remand the appeal of controversial road construction back to the Metropolitan Planning Commission at its meeting Tuesday.
At the suggestion of Vice Chairman Michael Corbin, the council decided Esplanade developer Tim Larkin's appeal could best be answered where it began. The council gave some direction to the MPC, requesting it work with Larkin to allow him to begin building houses despite a previously determined stipulation he could not without a paved road connecting his development to Flournoy Lucas Road.
The proposed road was contested because it might conflict with the future construction of state Highway 3132 ....
Councilman Joe Shyne, District F, opposed remanding the decision to the MPC on the grounds that its decision had already been made. Shyne said he opposed any possible obstruction to the completion of state Highway 3132.
"I think at this time that would be a mistake on our part," Shyne said. "(Highway) 3132 is too important to this city, and it's more important than Mr. Larkin's development."

In this TV video report Shreveport Mayor Cedric Glover appears to accuse Joe Shyne of a conflict-of-interest in supporting the extension:

The 3132 debate took a bizarre spin in Tuesday's city council meeting.
During public comments regarding developer Tim Larkin's appeal to build a road from the Esplanade subdivision to Flournoy Lucas Road, Mayor Cedric Glover asked Acadiana Place resident and Willis Knighton employee Darrell Rebouche if he was there representing his employer. Rebouche stated he was there strictly to represent the Acadiana Place Homeowners Association. Glover then asked Rebouche if any of his colleagues served on the council, to which he responded, "Not to my knowledge."
But personal financial disclosures obtained by KTBS show that councilman Joe Shyne has done work for Willis Knighton for at least three years, from 2008 to 2010. When asked Wednesday whether he was still employed at Willis Knighton, Shyne said he still does contract work for them inspecting properties.
Willis Knighton has lobbied heavily during the 3132 debate, and has funded much of the efforts of the Finish 3132 Now Coalition. But Shyne says Willis Knighton Health System would not profit in any way from city council decisions regarding 3132, so there is no conflict of interest.

Calls to Mayor Cedric Glover's office for comment were not returned as of deadline Wednesday afternoon.

This TV video report suggests that a district court will eventually decide the matter:

The issue of completing the 3132 Loop is now back in front of the Shreveport Metropolitan Planning Commission. It was just there a couple of weeks ago.
And thanks to the Shreveport City Council it's back there again .... Now the MPC will have a decision to make again. But some believe this issue could be decided by the district court.
(bold emphasis in all above quotes added by me)

Democracy in action ...  :coffee:

Grzrd

Quote from: Anthony_JK on July 26, 2012, 12:03:24 PM
Personally, I don't think that Shreveport will really blow up as a regional center until I-49 is completed to Texarkana/Fort Smith, and LA 3132 is extended to connect with I-69.
(above quote from Texarkana; (Future I-49, I-69 Spur) thread

As regards LA 3132, on Thursday, August 2, NLCOG will hold a meeting to present the findings of the Stage 0 Feasibility Study for the extension of LA 3132 (Inner Loop):

A public information meeting will be held to present the findings of the Stage 0 Feasibility Study for the extension of LA 3132 (Inner Loop).
The Public Meeting will be conducted as an OPEN HOUSE FORMAT with tables and exhibits staged within the ballroom.  Representatives of LADOTD, the Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments (NLCOG), and the project team will be present to receive comments and answer questions related to the proposed project. All interested parties are invited and encouraged to attend the meeting.
Thursday, August 2, 2012
Louisiana State University- Shreveport Campus (LSU-S)University Center Ballroom — Second Floor
6:00 pm — 8:00 pm
1 University Place, Shreveport, Louisiana

The Finish 3132 Coalition says that the public should expect to see the recommended route for the extension at the meeting:

The Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments (NLCOG) will hold a public meeting regarding the Stage 0 Feasibility Study for 3132 on Thursday, Aug. 2, at the LSUS University Center ballroom. The event, from 6 to 8 p.m. The public should expect to see the recommended route for the extension and should also expect to be allowed to comment on results of the study. The Finish 3132 Coalition urges members and their family members to attend the meeting in support of the long-awaited extension of this important controlled access highway. As the Coalition understands it, this will not be like a previous meeting in the same location where the public's opportunity to comment was closely controlled by the consulting engineering group from Baton Rouge that organized the meeting.

The meeting has the potential to be both informative and entertaining.  Route alternatives for the I-69 connection that have been under consideration:

mgk920

^^
Of those, I would very strongly favor option 'C'.  I seldom like it when an existing street of that style is upgraded to a full freeway - IMHO it is too disruptive to the local 'grid' and potential future growth patterns.  A new-ROW corridor, with the provision for future extension, is the best way to go.

(Too bad Barksdale AFB is in the way of the original I-220 plans....)

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.