AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Widening SCís I-95 would cost $4 billion, road agency estimates  (Read 15834 times)

amroad17

• Last Login: December 01, 2022, 01:16:22 AM
Re: Widening SCís I-95 would cost $4 billion, road agency estimates
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2022, 05:01:34 AM »

^ This is good news to hear.  This will be some undertaking in that 70 mile stretch, albeit for good.  SCDOT is currently working on widening I-26 from just west of Exit 85 to where the 6-lane begins around Exit 101.  So, when all of the widening on I-26 is finished between what is currently being worked on and what will be worked on in the future, there will around 135 miles of continuous 6-lane freeway.

The first 33 miles on I-95 will help immensely as some traffic does head toward Charleston on US 17 North at Exit 33.  The transition could be a bit smoother than it currently is in Pooler and Port Wentworth as traffic goes from 3 lanes to 2 at the Savannah River state line bridge.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

NJRoadfan

• Last Login: December 01, 2022, 07:48:20 PM
Re: Widening SCís I-95 would cost $4 billion, road agency estimates
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2022, 09:31:14 PM »

I am not aware of any traffic issues north of I-26 because I do not travel that way, but from what my father has mentioned to me in his travels from Lakeland, FL to Fuquay-Varina, NC to visit my brother is that the issues he would encounter would start north of I-20 and be intermittent between there and I-40.

This is basically my NC-FL leg of the trip. Leaving Davenport, FL at 5am, I can generally make it to the Triangle by 2-3pm depending on how many times I stopped. I've only done the trip north on a weekday, even then its a mess in southern SC. Weekends, if you leave early, you can avoid most of the SC traffic.

It is good to see North Carolina begin to widen I-95.  I imagine is must be stressful to regularly travel I-95 anywhere along the East Coast based on what I have read.  The last time I was on I-95 for a good stretch was in 2005 taking a delivery from Alexandria, VA to Miami Beach.  It did not seem very stressful then, but that was 17 years ago.

Once you get north of the Capital Beltway, it generally isn't too bad mid-day and decent alternatives open up (US-50/301, MD-3/I-97). Midday is generally not a problem traveling through NJ now that the NJ Turnpike is widened.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.