News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Huntsville

Started by Real Life Guitar Hero, January 26, 2009, 02:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

Quote from: codyg1985 on April 05, 2015, 06:31:33 PM
And this one on the other side of the intersection (with a bonus sign goof; not sure if it has been fixed):
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.788863,-86.66536,3a,26.6y,354.66h,88.49t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sRNZ9M9An3R1PbXAImEs0Hw!2e0

I hope you're referring to that hideous US 72 sign...burn it with fire!!!  :ded:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

codyg1985

Quote from: cjk374 on April 05, 2015, 10:26:37 PM
And this one on the other side of the intersection (with a bonus sign goof; not sure if it has been fixed):
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.788863,-86.66536,3a,26.6y,354.66h,88.49t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sRNZ9M9An3R1PbXAImEs0Hw!2e0

I hope you're referring to that hideous US 72 sign...burn it with fire!!!  :ded:

Well there is that, but the TO and South banners should be swapped. Yeah, those style US shields have been installed a lot from some signage contractors.

You also have this weird S0uth banners installed along with those style US shields: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.791882,-86.666724,3a,30.1y,259.66h,87.71t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s4ap79ZbrVga4sHW6oHEPWg!2e0
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

freebrickproductions

Don't forget these at AL 53/AL 255: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.791959,-86.667915,3a,15y,183.91h,87.61t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s2q-E5_Lx5wmIbTPv8gc_Rw!2e0

And this one on the other side of the intersection (with a bonus sign goof; not sure if it has been fixed): https://www.google.com/maps/@34.788863,-86.66536,3a,26.6y,354.66h,88.49t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sRNZ9M9An3R1PbXAImEs0Hw!2e0
I didn't know that those existed, actually. That makes three stand-along bubble shields in the city.

Would you cry if I told you that another one of those exists at the intersection of Memorial Parkway and University Drive?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

cjk374

Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 06, 2015, 11:05:07 AM

Would you cry if I told you that another one of those exists at the intersection of Memorial Parkway and University Drive?

Nope...just tells me I need more napalm for my flame thrower!   :bigass:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: cjk374 on April 06, 2015, 10:18:25 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 06, 2015, 11:05:07 AM

Nope...just tells me I need more napalm for my flame thrower!   :bigass:
:-D I'll have to drive Huntsville one day and let you know where all of these ugly US 72 shields are. I believe that they are compressed 3dus sheilds.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

freebrickproductions

The old Madison Pike bridge project is nearing the end.

http://whnt.com/2015/04/07/old-madison-pike-bridge-project-nearing-the-home-stretch/

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) — When construction started on the Old Madison Pike bridge in 2013 we were told it would take about two years to complete.

Which, for drivers taking the daily detours, can feel like eternity. Viewers have reached out to WHNT News 19 asking what's the deal with the project.

We reached out to ALDOT Regional Engineer Johnny Harris.

"[We're] probably 90% complete, we're just waiting for the bridge to be finished so we can start the final paving operations,"  said Harris.

Early on in the project there were delays getting started. Then, this Winter, weather slowed down progress.

The good news is, Harris says contractors are back on track.

"It's usually hard to predict exactly when the project will be completed, so we go by the contract amount of time, and the established completion date based on that. If the contractor is able to finish early it's all the better for everyone,"  Harris explained.

Old Madison Pike is scheduled to be re-opened November 1st, 2015. But Harris and city officials are hopeful they'll be ready to open before then.

(They/Them)

Alex

New Huntsville road serving Polaris ATV plant will be under construction soon

QuoteThe City of Huntsville is working to acquire land in rural Limestone County for a new section of Greenbrier Parkway serving Polaris' $142 million all-terrain vehicle factory.

A resolution approved by the City Council last week says the next phase of Greenbrier Parkway, from the Target Distribution Center north to Old Highway 20, will "contribute to the health and general welfare of the citizens of Huntsville."

The city is speeding up the road's construction because of Polaris, which announced plans in January to build a massive ATV plant along Interstate 565 just west of Greenbrier Road. Polaris has promised to create a minimum of 1,700 new manufacturing jobs.

City Engineer Kathy Martin said four road companies have expressed interested in building the new section of Greenbrier Parkway; sealed bids will be opened next week.

QuoteMartin said Greenbrier Parkway will be five lanes from Target Distribution Center north to the railroad tracks, flaring out to a four-lane boulevard with a wide, grassy median from the tracks to Old Highway 20.

It will eventually be extended to Brownsferry Road near Interstate 65, opening thousands of acres of rolling, Huntsville-annexed Limestone County farmland to new development sprawl.

codyg1985

I was hoping that Greenbrier Parkway would have been more of an expressway (which I think was proposed at one time), but I guess that isn't going to happen. I think it is sort of following the route of the now dead Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta freeway.
Cody Goodman

freebrickproductions

According to a friend of mine, there's a new signal going up at Pulaski Pike and Mastin Lake Road. The new signals are on black mast-arms and they have doghouses for some reason (I'll contact HDOT about that later tonight, but I'm willing to bet that those will disappear before the signals go into service).

Also, more FYAs have gone up at the following intersections:

• Drake Avenue and Patton Road (the most recent install)
  • Green Street and Eustis Avenue (3-section FYAs)
  • Holmes Avenue and Jefferson Street (3-section FYAs, right-turn FYAs)
  • Moores Mill Road and Ware Drive

(They/Them)

jdb1234

Looks like I will be in Huntsville this weekend.  Anything interesting to see besides the new interchange at I-565 and County Line Road?

codyg1985

Quote from: jdb1234 on May 04, 2015, 11:13:27 AM
Looks like I will be in Huntsville this weekend.  Anything interesting to see besides the new interchange at I-565 and County Line Road?

Aside from some of the FYA installations across the city, not really. Have you been up here since the overpasses on Research Park Blvd and Memorial Parkway have been finished? There are quite a few construction projects underway, but those aren't really interesting yet.

If you can get onto the arsenal, there is Martin Road that has been widened from Rideout west to Zierdt/Gate 7.
Cody Goodman

freebrickproductions

There's also a bridge problem on 431 south of Huntsville you might want to avoid:
http://whnt.com/2015/05/01/highway-431-northbound-to-be-partially-closed-for-weeks-after-wreck/

(They/Them)

jdb1234

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 04, 2015, 11:28:34 AM
Quote from: jdb1234 on May 04, 2015, 11:13:27 AM

Aside from some of the FYA installations across the city, not really. Have you been up here since the overpasses on Research Park Blvd and Memorial Parkway have been finished? There are quite a few construction projects underway, but those aren't really interesting yet.

If you are referring to the ones at Whitesburg Drive in south Huntsville and at Max Luther Drive and Sparkman Drive then yes.  I have never been on AL 255 north of US 72 so that might be worth seeing if time permits.

freebrickproductions

Turns out the new signals at Mastin Lake Road and Pulaski Pike was just Huntsville installing a new mast-arm further back from the intersection than the old one. The new signals are already active according to a friend of mine. None of the other signals at the intersection have been replaced.
It kinda explains the doghouse on the new set-up actually...

I also plan on checking downtown for more FYAs this afternoon.

(They/Them)

freebrickproductions

Two more FYAs went up recently in downtown, both right-turn signals this time. One of them is at the intersection of Northside Square and Jefferson Street while the other is at Southside Square and Madison Street.
Also, Huntsville seems to be transitioning to mixed-case street signs. They are trying them out at the very least (since all three set-ups with them have been in three different styles for how the text is laid out on them).

(They/Them)

freebrickproductions

Huntsville will be installing a ton of FYA signals along Governors Drive starting next week:
http://whnt.com/2015/05/18/aldot-city-of-huntsville-to-add-flashing-yellow-arrows-along-governors-drive/

Also, the FYA on Oakwood Avenue will be activated this Wednesday at about 9 AM from what I've heard from Huntsville.

(They/Them)

freebrickproductions

Old Madison Pike is expected to be open again on Friday, one month ahead of schedule.
http://whnt.com/2015/09/22/old-madison-pike-will-reopen-on-friday/

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) — Old Madison Pike will reopen to traffic on Friday afternoon, one month ahead of schedule.

There will be a ribbon cutting re-opening the road near Cummings Research Park at 12:15 p.m. on Friday, after a walking event for Mayor Battle's 100-Mile Walking Challenge. The walk will happen at 11:30 a.m..

The $5.2 million City of Huntsville project includes a four-lane expansion, new bridge, sidewalks, wider lanes to accommodate bicycles and a new greenway parking area.

Construction began in November 2013, and was expected to take until November 2015, so it's actually finished ahead of schedule.

ALDOT says winter weather slowed down the progress early on in the project.

(They/Them)

freebrickproductions

Old Madison Pike opened on Friday, one month ahead of schedule.

This article actually has a pretty neat before/after image in it:
http://whnt.com/2015/09/22/old-madison-pike-will-reopen-on-friday/
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) - Old Madison Pike reopened to traffic on Friday afternoon, one month ahead of schedule.

There was a ribbon cutting re-opening the road near Cummings Research Park at 12:15 p.m. on Friday, after a walking event for Mayor Battle's 100-Mile Walking Challenge.

The $5.2 million City of Huntsville project includes a four-lane expansion, new bridge, sidewalks, wider lanes to accommodate bicycles and a new greenway parking area.

Construction began in November 2013, and was expected to take until November 2015, so it's actually finished ahead of schedule.

ALDOT says winter weather slowed down the progress early on in the project.

http://whnt.com/2015/09/25/some-liken-old-madison-pikes-reopening-to-a-religious-experience/
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - A four-lane expansion, new bridge, sidewalks, and wider lanes: Who wouldn't be singing praises?

Hallelujah! Closed since November 2013, Old Madison Pike between Cummings Research Park and Slaughter Road is finally opened to the motoring, walking and cycling public.

In a week absolutely wrought with global holy significance, for folks right here deprived of the ability to travel Old Madison Pike for nearly two years, today was literally like a religious experience.

"It is a big day for both the city of Huntsville and city of Madison," said Johnny Harris, Director of the Alabama Department of Transportation.

"Hallelujah, amen!" said Madison Mayor Troy Trulock.

Of course everyone gave thanks in their own way:

"Hallelujah, brother. It's open," said some of the crew members.

"It's close to my house it's very good," said a member of the Chinese Christian Church.

The festivities started with the public joining Mayor Tommy Battle, city department heads, and reps from ALDOT for a Healthy Huntsville walk on the newly constructed section of roadway. But let's face it, this may as well have been a pilgrimage.

"Victory," said Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle.

"I appreciate the Lord washing the asphalt off for us today," Madison County Commission Chairman Dale Strong said, referring to the rain.

"As you know our citizens are excited. They can get to and from their shopping, to and from work. It is just fantastic for everybody so I'm excited to be out here today to say Hallelujah, it's here," Madison Mayor Trulock said.

"Now do you think we're going to have people speaking in tongues and falling out here today?" WHNT News 19 asked.

"Probably, yes. They are so excited I think that's exactly what'll happen," Trulock said.

Now, not to marry church and state but this momentous occasion brings political implications of Biblical proportions as well.

"Oh yeah I want to say hallelujah and praise Jesus and praise the state and praise Mayor Battle for picking up my campaign slogan from 1988 and runnin' and jumpin' with this deal," said Huntsville's Jackie Reed.

"And Troy, I didn't tell you the real reason we did this bridge is so that Miss Reed could get to your council meetings quicker," Mayor Battle joked. "Miss Reed we want to tell you your work is finished with the city of Huntsville. You have accomplished everything. We are totally in line. We're going to send you to brighter greener pastures right down the road here."

One of the biggest blessings from all this? The project was actually completed a month ahead of schedule, believe it or not.

(They/Them)

Zeffy

Wow, that looks like a really nice job by ALDOT. The old road looked rather nerve-wracking with those narrow travel lanes.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

codyg1985

Quote from: Zeffy on September 29, 2015, 09:45:28 PM
Wow, that looks like a really nice job by ALDOT. The old road looked rather nerve-wracking with those narrow travel lanes.

It is much better than before. That road is also one of a handful that connect one of the largest employment areas in Huntsville with Madison, Huntsville's closest and largest suburb.
Cody Goodman

freebrickproductions

Surprised that no-ones posted about this here yet, but the right-hand lane for traffic heading towards Hampton Cove on Governors Drive (US 431) at the intersection with California Street has been converted into a right-turn only lane. I have to wonder if/when Huntsville's going to change the signal for it to a right-turn signal.

(They/Them)

codyg1985

It also probably allows folks going northbound on California to have a merge after turning southbound on Governors.
Cody Goodman

jdb1234

codyg1985

It is gonna be a mess, but it will be well worth it, for the most part. I still worry about what eliminating the loop ramps at the Martin Road overpass and replacing them with a traffic signal is going to do with arsenal traffic.
Cody Goodman

freebrickproductions

I'll have to keep an eye on it, especially since it could affect some crossings along the Huntsville & Madison County Railroad.

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.