News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Features for ranks

Started by Poiponen13, February 21, 2023, 09:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 21, 2023, 08:17:10 PM
I may have deleted a few posts here or there, but I never did that for no reason or just to set my post count at a round number or anything???
I seem to recall you once saying you were going to keep your post count at 1000.  Perhaps someone else remembers where this was and can quote it?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MultiMillionMiler

I fiddled with the idea but didn't go through with it.

Poiponen13

hotdogPi

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 22, 2023, 12:59:19 PM
AARoads Discord

Discussion here:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=21139.0

It's from 2017, so opinions might have changed since then. I wouldn't be that opposed to one, even though I was strongly against it before. My main concern is that I'm on exactly one other forum that also has a Discord server associated with it, and people who aren't on that Discord miss some actual forum-topic-related news going on because it never makes it to the forum proper, so the same might happen here.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on February 22, 2023, 12:56:36 PM
I seem to recall you once saying you were going to keep your post count at 1000.  Perhaps someone else remembers where this was and can quote it?

Here you go.  Appropriately enough, MultiDozenMiler appears to have deleted the first of these.

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 03, 2022, 10:52:02 PM
No, I just started running out of new ideas. I wasn't gonna start spamming just to get to 1000 posts. Posting my plans visually really helped to condense my ideas into concise posts. My MMM thread is still going strong, and I did vote to unlock here if you're interested.

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 10:53:31 PM
Don't worry, when I get to 1000, you know with my numbering OCD I'll make sure it will stay exactly at 1000. Maybe I-ll go back and delete some low level "I agree" or "fair enough" replies to cancel out my new posts. Or I could delete a post and copy and paste the content back into one of my previous posts near it..etc. Or is any of that against the forum rules?

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 06, 2022, 08:40:57 AM

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 05, 2022, 11:22:32 PM

I would agree to revert it to 997. Or 1002. Or 58.

There used to be a guy here who was overly particular about his post count ending on a round number when he signed off for the night. I used to add 1 to his post count at 3 am just to fuck with him.

I guess I'll take 1002. Although 997 is also nice as it's the largest 3 digit prime number...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

interstatefan990

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 12:47:03 PM
I almost never delete posts. Very rarely if I post something and it's stupid and I realize it quickly I delete it. Deleting old posts would just be confusing to other people reading topics.

I've never deleted a post. I'd rather edit something new into its place or at least substantially change what I said.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

JoePCool14

Quote from: 1 on February 22, 2023, 01:01:33 PM
AARoads Discord

Discussion here:

It's from 2017, so opinions might have changed since then. I wouldn't be that opposed to one, even though I was strongly against it before. My main concern is that I'm on exactly one other forum that also has a Discord server associated with it, and people who aren't on that Discord miss some actual forum-topic-related news going on because it never makes it to the forum proper, so the same might happen here.

I remember the 2017 server. It was very quiet, and I didn't stay on it for very long. That being said...

I think an AARoads Discord server in 2023 wouldn't be the worst idea. It might be more accessible to new users (for better or for worse, I suppose. But maybe the Discord server and the classic forum could cater to different audiences.) And Discord has become a lot more feature rich than it was in 2017. Lots of automations and bots and even a "forum within Discord" (NOT that I would want this website to be abandoned). Roles could be assigned based on various stats or regions and states. It could be a better place for casual banter that doesn't necessarily justify an entire thread.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 21, 2023, 08:32:27 PM
Also, I still like the idea of the forum displaying your answer to the "lowest route number you haven't been on" game instead of your post count. But I don't like it enough to overcome my laziness and write the PHP for it.

I'd still be at 1.  :paranoid:

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 22, 2023, 03:35:14 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 21, 2023, 08:32:27 PM
Also, I still like the idea of the forum displaying your answer to the "lowest route number you haven't been on" game instead of your post count. But I don't like it enough to overcome my laziness and write the PHP for it.

I'd still be at 1.  :paranoid:
Illinois 1 ends in Chicago. Could probably knock it out this weekend.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JoePCool14

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 03:37:29 PM
Illinois 1 ends in Chicago. Could probably knock it out this weekend.

This is true, but as I've mentioned before, I value my life and belongings too much to simply start at US-12/20 and drive south. IL-1 travels through some of the rougher neighborhoods and suburbs in Chicagoland, and I have little interest in dealing with that right now. I also live further north, so just the process of getting down to the south suburbs is a haul both ways.

Basically clinching anything on the southern reaches of Chicagoland is just incredibly unappealing to me. That's why IL-1 continues to sit without mileage.

When I do eventually record some mileage on IL-1, I'll still be missing 4, 5, and 8 when it comes to single digits.

Hobart

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 22, 2023, 03:34:14 PM
Quote from: 1 on February 22, 2023, 01:01:33 PM
AARoads Discord

Discussion here:

I remember the 2017 server. It was very quiet, and I didn't stay on it for very long. That being said...

I think an AARoads Discord server in 2023 wouldn't be the worst idea. It might be more accessible to new users (for better or for worse, I suppose. But maybe the Discord server and the classic forum could cater to different audiences.) And Discord has become a lot more feature rich than it was in 2017. Lots of automations and bots and even a "forum within Discord" (NOT that I would want this website to be abandoned). Roles could be assigned based on various stats or regions and states. It could be a better place for casual banter that doesn't necessarily justify an entire thread.

Honestly, as somebody who's been using Discord for a few years, even with the added features, I think the existing model is fine until it becomes financially unsustainable. With Discord, you run into issues with people being able to reply faster, which can cause some hairy moments with a certain owl and a certain millionaire Long Islander. Plus, not sure if you guys are opposed to this, but you can report messages directly to Discord... meaning somebody outside of the forum staff would have moderation abilities for really nasty stuff.

I really don't see what it would add over the existing format besides being more efficient to argue about things on. I've also known of at least one website which outright replaced its forum with a Discord server (will not state exactly which out of shame), and it was even marketed as a downgrade in itself.

I feel like these old school forums are superior for conveying a bunch of really deep and intricate information... no character limits, you can quote people easier and the quotes nest in each other so you can follow easier, and because the forum software is relatively old, you can pull it up on an extremely old computer. I love Discord; most of the people I buy furry art from are people I initially met in Discord servers, I just really don't think its what we need for this forum. It might be the first nail in the coffin for the old school format we've come to know and love.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Roadgeekteen

Yeah, these forums work well for this kind of hobby. A discord server would be nice, but it would mostly replace the chat, not the forum itself.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

I view Discord as the modern-day replacement for IRC, not forums like this. They are for totally different use cases (Discord is for transient here-today-gone-tomorrow type discussions. Forums are better for longer form discussions that may be useful to have an archive of).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 25, 2023, 06:27:13 AM
I view Discord as the modern-day replacement for IRC, not forums like this. They are for totally different use cases (Discord is for transient here-today-gone-tomorrow type discussions. Forums are better for longer form discussions that may be useful to have an archive of).

I agree. What I meant is that I wouldn't mind having the option for more casual discussion that doesn't justify formal posts.

I will always stand by that an independent forum is way better than using Discord or even Reddit.

Poiponen13

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 25, 2023, 01:19:49 PM

I agree. What I meant is that I wouldn't mind having the option for more casual discussion that doesn't justify formal posts.

I will always stand by that an independent forum is way better than using Discord or even Reddit.
AARoads Reddit

hotdogPi

I'm definitely opposed to an AARoads Reddit. IRC and Discord are chatrooms. Reddit is a forum, and it would displace this. I also have an irrational fear of being downvoted.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

JoePCool14

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 25, 2023, 01:21:29 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 25, 2023, 01:19:49 PM

AARoads Reddit

No thanks. r/roadguyrob exists though which is cool.

hbelkins

I never got into the real-time chat thing. I logged on to the old IRC roadgeek chat a couple of times but no one was in the room at the time. I've never done the chat here. I read the forum at my own convenience and usually have other things to do than hang out in online chatrooms.

As far as other road forums go, they can coexist. A Reddit page (or board or thread or whatever they're called) could function alongside this forum the same way that the various Yahoo groups did with MTR years ago. They're complementary, not competitive.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 25, 2023, 09:17:42 PM
I'm not sure what that chat is, but I think I am banned from it. I may have used it once or twice but a message saying "User or IP is banned" has came up since then.

Yes, I can confirm you were indeed banned from chat.  You didn't endear yourself to the chat regulars and got the boot.

Big John

I am not really chatty, so I don't enter the chat room as inactivity there is grounds for banishment.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.