News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's the deal with Vermont state route shields?

Started by dgolub, August 23, 2014, 02:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgolub

I've noticed that some Vermont state route shields use green and white shields with the state name, while others use the standard circle or oval like in New Jersey or Delaware.  What's the deal with this?  Is there some rhyme or reason behind it, or is it just a question of what mood the DOT was in when they put up each particular sign?

hbelkins

Quote from: dgolub on August 23, 2014, 02:46:28 PM
I've noticed that some Vermont state route shields use green and white shields with the state name, while others use the standard circle or oval like in New Jersey or Delaware.  What's the deal with this?  Is there some rhyme or reason behind it, or is it just a question of what mood the DOT was in when they put up each particular sign?

Jersey-type signs are for roads maintained by towns, not the state.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Vermont used the circle shield exclusively until ca. 1995, when the green-on-white was introduced.  Current policy is that state highways and Class 1 town highways (basically state highways maintained by the town) get the green-on-white shield and that Class 2 town highways that VTrans includes on the state route system (i.e. VT 35, 121, 127, etc etc) keep the circle shield.  That said, you'll still occasionally see circle shields in towns for state highways where they haven't been replaced yet.  Examples include VT 14 Hardwick, VT 12 Montpelier, and the infamous VT 26.  There was even an ancient square "VT 30" shield in Manchester until about 5 years ago.

hbelkins

And there are some places where one numbered route gets both types of signage. Not sure if that's similar to when a Tennessee route has the primary marker for a left turn and a triangle secondary marker for a right turn, or an oversight.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on August 23, 2014, 07:41:07 PM
And there are some places where one numbered route gets both types of signage. Not sure if that's similar to when a Tennessee route has the primary marker for a left turn and a triangle secondary marker for a left turn, or an oversight.

That must have been an oversight.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

hbelkins

Fixed. The right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing.

shadyjay

You mean like this? 

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.47138,-72.977267,3a,80.4y,22.62h,77.84t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s-gFZWA7SgrQ0VXIQjOWBcQ!2e0

This is in Wallingford (VT)... VT 140 east of here is state-maintained, while to the west its a town maintained route.

Then there's this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.783633,-72.447278,3a,75y,6.37h,80.35t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1skYCvg_pW75h2r1upjzZwJg!2e0

I-89 NB in Sharon.  This "relatively" new sign has both the circle and the green VT shield, since VT 132 is a town-maintained road.  But on the ramp is this error:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.785748,-72.449812,3a,75y,308.64h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sF2WafKkrIvuKVRZ2h_a9rA!2e0

And of course throughout the state are numerous old circle shields, many of them located in towns/villages where the route is town-maintained (but still deserves the green shield since its a through state route).  There's this gem in Waterbury, still there as of yesterday:

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.338013,-72.756662,3a,15y,344.54h,86.64t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sIJJiwHm-NHtalacnEU9SSQ!2e0

And just up the road 1/4 mile....

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.341343,-72.759359,3a,62.9y,170.35h,88.44t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sGin-AhbiJQ37-sv-zc2EBQ!2e0

... though this set is "highly endangered" as work is underway to build a rotary here.  A temporary traffic light is in place. 

dgolub

So does each town get its own town highway numbers, or are they numbered statewide but maintained by the towns, kind of like New Jersey's 500 series routes except with towns instead of counties?

shadyjay

Yes and no...

The state routes are continuous.  For example, VT 100 loses state maintenance in the villages of Wilmington, Ludlow, Waterbury, Stowe, and Morrisville, but its still considered VT 100 in those towns. 

Some towns do have a secondary sign on each town road that says TH#, referencing the town highway and a number.  For example, East Street / TH2. 

ixnay

Quote from: froggie on August 23, 2014, 06:10:13 PM
Current policy is that state highways and Class 1 town highways (basically state highways maintained by the town) get the green-on-white shield and that Class 2 town highways that VTrans includes on the state route system (i.e. VT 35, 121, 127, etc etc) keep the circle shield.  That said, you'll still occasionally see circle shields in towns for state highways where they haven't been replaced yet.  Examples include VT 14 Hardwick, VT 12 Montpelier, and the infamous VT 26.  There was even an ancient square "VT 30" shield in Manchester until about 5 years ago.

http://vtransengineering.vermont.gov/sites/aot_program_development/files/documents/publications/VermontStateDesignStandards.pdf shows nothing that confirms what you're saying, froggie.

ixnay

Duke87

The best way to think of it is that it's all one continuous state highway system, but in places where the road is locally maintained the shield changes from the green Vermont shield to the circle. You may have a single number which goes from VT green to circle and then back to VT green. The circles are not a separate system, they are merely VTrans' way of denoting to the public "we don't maintain this, contact the town if you have a problem with something".

At least, that is how it works in theory. In reality there are roads that should have circle shields erroneously posted as VT green, and plenty of roads which should be VT green erroneously posted as circles. In the latter case it is often but not always because the sign was installed before 1995 and in those days Vermont used the circle for everything.

You may also find a square shield here and there. These are even older, from before VT switched from squares to circles.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

dgolub

Quote from: Duke87 on August 24, 2014, 10:49:10 PM
The best way to think of it is that it's all one continuous state highway system, but in places where the road is locally maintained the shield changes from the green Vermont shield to the circle. You may have a single number which goes from VT green to circle and then back to VT green. The circles are not a separate system, they are merely VTrans' way of denoting to the public "we don't maintain this, contact the town if you have a problem with something".

At least, that is how it works in theory. In reality there are roads that should have circle shields erroneously posted as VT green, and plenty of roads which should be VT green erroneously posted as circles. In the latter case it is often but not always because the sign was installed before 1995 and in those days Vermont used the circle for everything.

You may also find a square shield here and there. These are even older, from before VT switched from squares to circles.

In other words, the distinction is primarily for roadgeeks, since the average motorist probably has no clue what the distinction.

froggie

Quote from: shadyjayI-89 NB in Sharon.  This "relatively" new sign has both the circle and the green VT shield, since VT 132 is a town-maintained road.  But on the ramp is this error:

The "East 132" sign being the particular one in error.  132 between the interchange and 14 is state-maintained, though one wouldn't really know without looking at VTrans shapefiles.

Quote from: dgolubSo does each town get its own town highway numbers, or are they numbered statewide but maintained by the towns, kind of like New Jersey's 500 series routes except with towns instead of counties?

To expand on what shadyjay replied, it's actually both.  All town-maintained roads have a corresponding Town Highway number that may or may not be signed as jay mentioned.  As I mentioned above, Class 1 Town Highways are town-maintained roads that are both considered state-aid and considered state highway extension through the town (such as the VT 100 examples jay posted or the VT 12 and VT 14 examples I mentioned earlier).  These routes are signed as part of their state highway extensions.

Quote from:  ixnayhttp://vtransengineering.vermont.gov/sites/aot_program_development/files/documents/publications/VermontStateDesignStandards.pdf shows nothing that confirms what you're saying, froggie.

If you notice, that PDF doesn't include signs or sign standards.

I live here and have had dealings with VTrans...that's where a lot of my info comes from.

Quote from: dgolubIn other words, the distinction is primarily for roadgeeks, since the average motorist probably has no clue what the distinction.

The distinction is moreso for VTrans and the locals than anyone else...

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on August 24, 2014, 10:49:10 PM

Now if only we could convince the CHM administration of that...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

From my recent travels over the last few years, I'd say you're more likely to find the original style than the more recent square.

Duke87

Yes, but it's a square either way. State named squares are still squares!

Vermont's state named squares are only cool because they're old.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

shadyjay

Quote from: Alps on August 26, 2014, 08:35:02 PM
From my recent travels over the last few years, I'd say you're more likely to find the original style than the more recent square.

I've seen more state-named squares around than square squares. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.