News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NYC street signs to become lowercase

Started by J Route Z, July 16, 2014, 01:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Route Z

A lot of street signs in all five boroughs of NYC are replacing the older ALL CAPS street signs, since they are considered as "shouting" when using capital letters. Also, something to do with visibility issues, where reading lower case is easier. However, I wonder if they are replacing all signs, since they have done several blocks here and there, but left many with the older signs. Some of them are also in need of replacement anyway, due to them being faded and sun bleached. I think a new rule is in place in this whole country to use lowercase on all guide signs. NJ and DE are slowly doing the same.

http://forgotten-ny.com/2014/04/the-perversity-of-street-sign-replacement/

Pete from Boston

Because they're shouting? Seriously? Is this not the new national standard based on legibility for an aging population? Personally, I don't find them more legible, but I get what they are going for.

If this were indeed about the signs seeming to shout at you, well, they should be shouting–it's New York, goddamnit.

dgolub

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 16, 2014, 01:43:37 PM
Because they're shouting? Seriously? Is this not the new national standard based on legibility for an aging population? Personally, I don't find them more legible, but I get what they are going for.

If this were indeed about the signs seeming to shout at you, well, they should be shouting–it's New York, goddamnit.

I read something a while ago about some psychology research showing that people recognize words by shape and that using all uppercase effectively makes everything a rectangle.  Also, the Westchester thing where they but street names in boxes on exit signs is supposed to be especially bad from that perspective (although I always thought it was cool).

cl94

2009 MUTCD requires all new street name signs to be mixed-case (section 2D.05.02). Additionally, the FHWA is mandating that all signs be reflectorized. If NYCDOT is replacing non-reflective or fading signs, they must be mixed-case.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman

I recall seeing something where the "improvements" of mixed case legends on smaller street name and guide signs weren't actually based on tests of those legend sizes.  Rather, they were apparently extrapolated from the results for larger (i.e. freeway) sign legends.

A number of communities in my area have begun replacing their all-uppercase street name signs with mixed-case signs.  In my opinion, the supposed legibility advantages gained by going to mixed case legend (the "shape" theory) are more than offset by the reduction in legibility due to the fact that the majority of the legend is now 75% smaller than it was before.

So, just like Clearview, this appears to be another case where FHWA adopted a standard based on input from human factors "experts" without thoroughly testing it in real world conditions first.

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Avalanchez71

Quote from: cl94 on July 16, 2014, 07:57:38 PM
2009 MUTCD requires all new street name signs to be mixed-case (section 2D.05.02). Additionally, the FHWA is mandating that all signs be reflectorized. If NYCDOT is replacing non-reflective or fading signs, they must be mixed-case.

I guess these bureaucrats haven't heard of the X (10th) Amendment.

leroys73

Governments don't have anything better to waste money on?
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

dgolub

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 16, 2014, 08:13:44 PM
Quote from: cl94 on July 16, 2014, 07:57:38 PM

I guess these bureaucrats haven't heard of the X (10th) Amendment.

The Tenth Amendment doesn't prevent the federal government from putting all kinds of requirements on the states as a condition of federal funding.  In practice, no state is going to forgo federal funding, since it would make everything much more expensive and require higher taxes.

ixnay

At least NYC isn't installing street signs like the ones in downtown Altoona, PA.  You can see Altoona's on Google satellite (ground level).

ixnay

Duke87

In my experience it definitely is, when driving along, easier to quickly identify whether an upcoming street is yours or not if the signs are in mixed case.

That said, some of the benefit of doing this is negated if municipalities insist on continuing to use the same size sign blank, because yes, the lower case letters are smaller.

What really needs to be done away with moreso than all caps street signs is tiny street signs that you have to slow down below the prevailing speed of the road in order to read. And all signalized intersections need to have larger signs mounted on the mast arm or hung from the span wire.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

storm2k

IIRC, the original MUTCD rules required a bigger sign blade to accommodate a larger font size for the legend. I know a lot of towns in Jersey that have replaced their signs have gone to this bigger blade. I am betting NYC isn't going to follow that even if they had to.

What REALLY needs to go away are towns (like Woodbridge NJ) that still use painted concrete posts for street signs. They're low to the ground, vertical, and hard to see when you're in an unfamiliar part of town. I wish they would get with the program and move to the more modern blades finally.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on July 17, 2014, 06:03:39 PM
IIRC, the original MUTCD rules required a bigger sign blade to accommodate a larger font size for the legend. I know a lot of towns in Jersey that have replaced their signs have gone to this bigger blade. I am betting NYC isn't going to follow that even if they had to.

What REALLY needs to go away are towns (like Woodbridge NJ) that still use painted concrete posts for street signs. They're low to the ground, vertical, and hard to see when you're in an unfamiliar part of town. I wish they would get with the program and move to the more modern blades finally.
Impossible to see in rain or at night, too.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on July 17, 2014, 06:53:46 PM
Quote from: storm2k on July 17, 2014, 06:03:39 PM

Impossible to see in rain or at night, too.

Don't get me started with those damn vertical things. I'm convinved wealthy areas use them just to keep outsiders away. Hopefully, the FHWA will enforce the reflectivity mandate when it goes into effect so these things can disappear.

As for the sign blades, I'm seeing different sizes everywhere. NYSDOT uses the same large blades they previously had and the names are perfectly legible. As far as counties and towns go, that's a different story. Upstate, Erie and Wyoming counties moved up to the big size used by NYSDOT for their mixed-case signs and I wouldn't be shocked if a few others did as well. On my last trip to the eastern reaches of the state, I saw no new signs not installed by the state, so I can't speak for over there. Genesee County still uses the small size and they're a pain to read at speed. Some towns in Erie County get their signs from the county sign shop, but those who don't are hit or miss.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

empirestate

Quote from: Duke87 on July 17, 2014, 12:28:48 AM
What really needs to be done away with moreso than all caps street signs is tiny street signs that you have to slow down below the prevailing speed of the road in order to read.

And in addition, consistent and predictable placement of the signs. Very often when I'm looking for a street name, it isn't the sign's size that confounds me, but rather that I don't know where to look for it. I know, you'd think it would be obvious, right?

connroadgeek

In my experience it definitely is, when driving along, easier to quickly identify whether an upcoming street is yours or not if the signs are in mixed case.

That said, some of the benefit of doing this is negated if municipalities insist on continuing to use the same size sign blank, because yes, the lower case letters are smaller.

What really needs to be done away with moreso than all caps street signs is tiny street signs that you have to slow down below the prevailing speed of the road in order to read. And all signalized intersections need to have larger signs mounted on the mast arm or hung from the span wire.

Greenwich CT uses the same size blank as they are switching to mixed-case. Some of the signs are completely unreadable. Not only are the characters narrow depending on how many need to fit on the sign, but their vertical height isn't proportional so you end up with really tall squished lower-cased characters when you have anything other than Main St.

Laura

Absolutely. I find mixed case signs harder to read for this reason.

iPhone

roadman65

You cannot do it in Manhattan with the number signs.  Remember mix case does not change the descriptor as it will still be all upper case.  So Fifth Avenue will still be "5 AV" as it has been.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

connroadgeek

Quote from: roadman65 on July 18, 2014, 02:31:04 PM
You cannot do it in Manhattan with the number signs.  Remember mix case does not change the descriptor as it will still be all upper case.  So Fifth Avenue will still be "5 AV" as it has been.
Is that the spec? In the mixed-cased installations I've seen it's been mixed case all around. For example, Main St and not Main ST. In NYC I've seen the pole mounted blades as 5 AV, but aren't the overhead signs already "5 Av"?

roadman65

In Orlando we have Deerfield BV on the street signs with the BV in small upper case.  That is also the case (speaking of cases) with all the street signs around on both overhead or ground level.

If there was a Main Street in our area it would be Main ST.  Unfortunately, I cannot shrink the letters, but that is the case.  I have not seen the overheads in Manhattan yet, so I can't say about them yet.  However, I did look up my Bronx photos of E. Tremont Avenue and it does show E. Tremont Av. on EB Bruckner Boulevard.  Then again those  overhead signs are just smaller BGSes or LGSes and not larger street signs as far as fonts go.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cl94

The last time I was in New York, everything in Clearview (the newer signs) was mixed-case. A New York Times article with a photo confirms this: http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/14/throughout-the-city-a-new-generation-of-street-signs/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Alps

no

Zeffy

Quote from: cl94 on July 19, 2014, 08:56:00 PM
The last time I was in New York, everything in Clearview (the newer signs) was mixed-case. A New York Times article with a photo confirms this: http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/14/throughout-the-city-a-new-generation-of-street-signs/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Explain to me why NYCDOT decided to use Clearview. How recent was this? Because if it was fairly recent, then the FHWA interim approval would have already been rescinded.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

dgolub

Quote from: connroadgeek on July 19, 2014, 07:22:44 PM
Is that the spec? In the mixed-cased installations I've seen it's been mixed case all around. For example, Main St and not Main ST. In NYC I've seen the pole mounted blades as 5 AV, but aren't the overhead signs already "5 Av"?

That's what I've seen walking around Manhattan in cases where there are new signs.

cl94

Quote from: Zeffy on July 20, 2014, 05:53:42 PM
Quote from: cl94 on July 19, 2014, 08:56:00 PM

Explain to me why NYCDOT decided to use Clearview. How recent was this? Because if it was fairly recent, then the FHWA interim approval would have already been rescinded.

They started a few years ago. Don't know the exact year, but I think they started using Clearview around the time of the lowercase mandate.

PHLBOS

Philly's been using Clearview on its street blade signs even before the mixed-case rule took effect.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.