News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Are any more covid threads still allowed on this forum?

Started by tolbs17, December 30, 2021, 09:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

I was going to ask because I'm about to make a thread in the "Travel" board about the CDC recommending that everybody should avoid cruise travel regardless of vaccination status.

If no, then I'm sure we should have a sticky thread saying "No more threads about COVID-19" or anything related to that..

Max Rockatansky

Sure hope not.  My take is that we are all smart enough (or should be) to actively research any problematic travel regulations/restrictions on our own.  No need to rehash a topic that really wore out it's welcome long a time ago on the forum.

hbelkins

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 30, 2021, 09:58:09 PM
I was going to ask because I'm about to make a thread in the "Travel" board about the CDC recommending that everybody should avoid cruise travel regardless of vaccination status.

If no, then I'm sure we should have a sticky thread saying "No more threads about COVID-19" or anything related to that..

I'm not an admin (and Satan's residence would probably freeze over before the current crop of mods would ever accept me as one) but I'd think that as long as what's being discussed doesn't go off the rails, a travel-restrictions-related thread would be within bounds.

Interestingly enough, my brother and his wife just got back from a cruise. They sailed out of New Orleans to the Bahamas. Key West was to be a port of call, but it got replaced with Bimini. I found that odd that they'd forego a stop within the United States.

On his way back, he did something I'd like to do sometime -- drove the Lake Ponchartrain Causeway. Otherwise, his route was the same down and back -- I-59, I-65, Bluegrass Parkway, US 127. I'd have varied the route back, probably by taking I-55 to Hayti and then I-155 and US 51 to the Kentucky parkways.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 30, 2021, 10:03:32 PM
No need to rehash a topic that really wore out it's welcome long a time ago on the forum.
Then the second line I posted will take that answer.

Scott5114

If we made a sticky thread about every potential thread topic that would be a problem, you'd have to scroll past four screenfuls of stickies before you would get to the actual threads.

Use your brain to decide whether something is a good idea to post. Is it something that isn't road related but is something people are going to have strong enough opinions that it will cause a fight? If so, don't post about it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 31, 2021, 12:40:04 AM
If we made a sticky thread about every potential thread topic that would be a problem, you'd have to scroll past four screenfuls of stickies before you would get to the actual threads.

Use your brain to decide whether something is a good idea to post. Is it something that isn't road related but is something people are going to have strong enough opinions that it will cause a fight? If so, don't post about it.
It's not road related, and I don't think cruise ships cause a fight... So I guess I'll post it.

Scott5114

Oh my God. People don't get in fights over covid because of the CRUISE SHIPS. Go read the old Covid thread. All 5,431 posts. When you've done that, start at the beginning and read it again. Then do it a third time. Then, tell me what you've learned and whether it's a good idea to make everyone that pissed off at each other again.

74/171FAN

Well I posted in the new thread before seeing this one.   :pan:
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Roadgeekteen

I would support allowing covid 19 threads. I don't like heavy-handed moderating
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 31, 2021, 04:59:03 PM

I read that as 19 covid threads at first. At least that's still less than the number of "ask me anything" threads...
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

J N Winkler

FWIW, I didn't have a problem with the original mammoth covid thread--largely because I stopped posting in it before people started to get angry with each other--but I do remember the distress it caused when Kalvado and I were speculating about jurisdictions in the US having to dig mass graves to bury covid victims.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

SectorZ

Max Rockatansky

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 31, 2021, 03:24:33 AM
Oh my God. People don't get in fights over covid because of the CRUISE SHIPS. Go read the old Covid thread. All 5,431 posts. When you've done that, start at the beginning and read it again. Then do it a third time. Then, tell me what you've learned and whether it's a good idea to make everyone that pissed off at each other again.
Read it and it went downhill real fast with meaningless posts and politics and fighting...

thspfc

Quote from: SectorZ on December 31, 2021, 06:38:10 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 31, 2021, 12:40:04 AM
Use your brain to decide whether something is a good idea to post.

Almost as if different people have different thought processes or something . . .

JoePCool14

Quote from: 1 on December 31, 2021, 05:05:16 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 31, 2021, 04:59:03 PM

I read that as 19 covid threads at first. At least that's still less than the number of "ask me anything" threads...

19 covid threads would be about 25 threads too many. I've had more than enough of it here and in general.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 31, 2021, 10:11:11 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 31, 2021, 03:24:33 AM
Read it and it went downhill real fast with meaningless posts and politics and fighting...

Yeah. Just about any covid thread is going to do that because it's something that people have strong and polarized opinions on.

Before starting a non-roads-related thread, stop and think: Is this thread likely to end up going like that covid thread? If so, you probably shouldn't post it.

GaryV

rickmastfan67

TheHighwayMan3561

People can legitimately post about anything that isn't COVID or DST, can cuss like sailors, pretty much do anything except attack other posters - and that's heavy-handed moderation?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

thspfc

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 01, 2022, 11:26:06 PM
People can legitimately post about anything that isn't COVID or DST, can cuss like sailors, pretty much do anything except attack other posters - and that's heavy-handed moderation?
Oftentimes relevant and intelligent discussion about roads is removed if it doesn't explicitly fit the thread title.

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on January 03, 2022, 12:21:40 PM
Oftentimes relevant and intelligent discussion about roads is removed if it doesn't explicitly fit the thread title.
Nope. It may be split into a more relevant location though.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Alps on January 03, 2022, 02:45:43 PM
Quote from: thspfc on January 03, 2022, 12:21:40 PM
Nope. It may be split into a more relevant location though.

Sometimes such discussion has been caught in the cross hairs of an argument and gets deleted/hidden out of view.  I guess it's just a rare occurrence of collateral damage, it's not like it happens often.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

JayhawkCO

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.