News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Sign weirdness.

Started by jrStudios, April 12, 2023, 11:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrStudios

The original 1989 sign

A new 2010 sign done after widening I-64 East.

Why is it that they move the exit indicators from the center to either the left or right? It was fine as is.

1995hoo

MUTCD standards say the exit tab should be right-aligned for right-side exits and left-aligned for left-side exits. Certainly there's a fair point that (a) most motorists have no idea that such a convention exists and (b) the use of an arrow pointing to the right and the words "Next Right" should tell any reasonable driver that the exits in question are to the right, but the standards are what they are.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jrStudios

Ah, so these were doomed to be replaced from when the MUTCD got updated. Didn't know that.

So THAT's why I see a lot of center-tabs in Kentucky being replaced.

kphoger

Quote from: jrStudios on April 12, 2023, 11:44:57 AM
Ah, so these were doomed to be replaced from when the MUTCD got updated. Didn't know that.

So THAT's why I see a lot of center-tabs in Kentucky being replaced.

I'm no expert, but I highly doubt they're replacing the signs just because the MUTCD got updated.  I'm sure the signs are being replaced according to their normal schedule or wear-out, but that the new installations simply abide by the MUTCD instead of carbon-copying the old ones.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jrStudios

Quote from: jrStudios on April 12, 2023, 11:38:24 AM

The original 1989 sign

A new 2010 sign done after widening I-64 East.

Why is it that they move the exit indicators from the center to either the left or right? It was fine as is.

And I found something intersting:
Evidence may contradict my 1989 Sign Theory now, as I read the 1971 MUTCD. It is the only one with center-exit signs. Later versions phase this out for left-right leaning tabs. Honestly not sure.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.