Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 25, 2011, 05:58:06 PM
Quote from: froggie on April 25, 2011, 05:51:21 PM
That, however, is the personal property tax in Mississippi, which is applicable to vehicles.  License tab fees ran me only about $25 when I was stationed there.

does it really matter?  it's a mandatory annual fee for the maintenance of the good standing of your vehicle registration, no matter how you slice and dice it.

It matters for your Federal income tax return, if you itemize deductions on Schedule A.  Personal property taxes are deductible.  Other vehicle registration fees, fines, etc. generally aren't.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

agentsteel53

Quote from: oscar on April 25, 2011, 06:09:35 PM
It matters for your Federal income tax return, if you itemize deductions on Schedule A.  Personal property taxes are deductible.  Other vehicle registration fees, fines, etc. generally aren't.

that still doesn't answer the question of "why split up the annual maintenance fee?"  Schedule A could say "fees whose name begins with letters A-M are deductible, N-Z are not" and that still would not address the deeper philosophical issue.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

UptownRoadGeek

Regardless of how it's split. There's a big difference between $10 total a year and $400 total a year.

cjk374

If Louisiana would protect the money raised from the higher tag fees from being raided to pay other bills, then I would probably go along with the idea.  But living here all of my life has taught me to know better.  :nod: The highway trust fund that was created by the Roemer administration is the only protected funds for Louisiana highways.  And I also am aware that we really have it good here in Louisiana when it comes to licensing and tag fees....and I want it to stay that way!!!   :clap:

We all know that the system (the gov't and the way they spend money) is broken.  After all, this is Louisiana.  The lawmakers could fix it if they really wanted to. We know why they won't.  My apologies for the political soapbox I have stomped on.  Politics can be upsetting to me sometimes.  :angry:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

froggie

Yes it does matter, Jake.  The point is that not everyone who registers their vehicle in Mississippi is subject to the personal property tax.  I was one of those who was not subject.  Not to mention what Oscar said.

agentsteel53

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on April 25, 2011, 11:44:33 PM
Regardless of how it's split. There's a big difference between $10 total a year and $400 total a year.

if I had to pay $400 a year to register my car, I'd think twice about owning one.  (well, assuming I did own one, which I already don't.)  Never mind that I probably spend that much on gas in a month... that's still a ridiculously high cost!  for that, I'd want solid gold vanity plates, a permit to enter the HOV lanes despite the car being unoccupied, and the governor's own parking spot.

jake@aaroads.com

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: froggie on April 26, 2011, 08:31:55 AM
Yes it does matter, Jake.  The point is that not everyone who registers their vehicle in Mississippi is subject to the personal property tax.  I was one of those who was not subject.  Not to mention what Oscar said.

What determines who is subject and who is not? I was under the impression that in order to be exempted you either had to be military, govt. employee or the vehicle had to be commerical.

agentsteel53

Quote from: froggie on April 26, 2011, 08:31:55 AM
Yes it does matter, Jake.  The point is that not everyone who registers their vehicle in Mississippi is subject to the personal property tax.  I was one of those who was not subject.  Not to mention what Oscar said.

then just call it: vehicle registration fee, $460 for regular residents, $60 for military, etc.  I have no problem with setting up a fee schedule, but I don't want to hear anyone's bullshit itemizations.  You took my money; the last thing I want to hear is gloating about how many ways you've managed to fine-slice it.

I can understand when a commercial establishment does it ($99 for the item, $8.62 sales tax, $11.35 shipping, $42.16 dealer prep, $282 handling) but the government is not in the business of trying to sell its products, so there is no reason whatsoever why it should advertise $99 and charge $306.

all I want to know is the final damage, in one lump-sum installment, so I can just roll my eyes once and take out my checkbook once.  Stop waxing my undercarriage.

jake@aaroads.com

UptownRoadGeek

UptownRoadGeek

Hot Rod Hootenanny

That looks like alot of steel.  :-o
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Alps

It's very fortunate that the original bridge piers can take all that additional loading from the new travel lanes. Back in the day, bridges were vastly overbuilt.

cjk374

I wish more things had been overbuilt.  :sombrero: The Huey P., IMHO, only looks overbuilt because it has a railroad on it.  No such thing as "overbuilt" when dealing with railroads. 

And one can only hope that is American steel being used there.  :nod:

UptownRoadGeek

The fact that this bridge, built in 1935, still manages to do better on inspections than the other three crossings say something. Especially when the other three bridges were built in 1958, 1983, and 1988.

brownpelican

brownpelican

The I-10 widening project in Baton Rouge has fallen way behind schedule.
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/I-10-widening-falls-behind.html?showAll=y&c=y

brownpelican

According to the Huey P. Long widening project page on Facebook, The Audubon Bridge near Saint Francisville will open later this week due to major flooding on the Mississippi shutting down the Saint Francisville-New Roads ferry. Expect future lane closures as the bridge isn't complete yet.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: brownpelican on May 04, 2011, 05:48:34 PM
According to the Huey P. Long widening project page on Facebook, The Audubon Bridge near Saint Francisville will open later this week due to major flooding on the Mississippi shutting down the Saint Francisville-New Roads ferry. Expect future lane closures as the bridge isn't complete yet.
Evidently Jindal was quoted this morning or yesterday as saying the bridge would open Thursday.
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/State-EBR-brace-for-record-water.html
Once the Mississippi reaches 53 ft at Red River Landing (across the shore from Angola Prison), the St. Francisville-New Roads ferry will be no more.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on May 01, 2011, 10:46:37 AM
I wish more things had been overbuilt.  :sombrero: The Huey P., IMHO, only looks overbuilt because it has a railroad on it.  No such thing as "overbuilt" when dealing with railroads. 

There are a couple 1910 era concrete bridges near Dewitt, AR that were overbuilt and are now historic landmarks.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

UptownRoadGeek

Bryant5493

Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

brownpelican

A feasibility study is underway for an I-12 interchange at La. 16/Pete's Highway in Denham Springs. Parish leaders wanted this exit built at the time the Juban Road interchange was done, but it wasn't possible.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/Petes-Highway-interchange-moving-forward.html

brownpelican

One more thing: the rubblization/asphalt overlay of I-55 is continuing southward. Work is now underway between Amite City (La. 16) and Tickfaw (La. 442), but grading work south of there suggests the project will extend to the I-12 interchange.

Plus, installation of cable barriers on I-12 in Tangipahoa Parish is in full swing.

cjk374

^^^Speaking of those cable barriers on I-12...if the DOTD was to start widening the interstate to 6 lanes, won't they have to dig the cables up and relocate them?  Doing the cable installation now seems to be a big waste of money if widening is in I-12's future.

Sykotyk

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on May 06, 2011, 01:18:19 PM
Audubon is open.

New bridge now open for traffic

Just drove this today. Quite impressive. There's still no signage in the town of St. Francisville advising you that LA-10 multiplexes with US61. So, for now, LA-10 goes E/W through US61, and also goes west of US61 south of town without any indication.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.